Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by nonemoreblack »

Cipher wrote:We'd only ever gotten slightly dishonest shades of the true Cooper, from that perspective: exaggerated heroism and, this season, exaggerated villainy. As soon as he exits the Lodge the second time, elements of both are present. (He still appears to be basically good, but he isn't a walking angelic light; he has shades of Mr. C's aloof menace.)

The one thing I was banking on the whole season was that the "doppelganger" was going to bear weight on Cooper in some kind of emotional way, rather than simply being a villainous clone. Coming to terms with shades and duplicity has always been one of Twin Peaks' core fascinations (not to mention the resolution to Laura's arc in the original run). Various characters, Jeffries included, have pointed toward the doppelgangers being connected to the true self as well.
I was hoping for that too, but that wasn't the way I wanted it to be explored. To me the original Cooper was never too heroic as to be unbelievable. His attraction to Audrey, and the way he handled the whole Annie situation both brought forth the fact that he was a human with flaws. Dougie was more like exagerrated heroism.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Oh, I do have another question. So, now that it's over, and there can be no harm in revealing it, what was the Julee Cruise leak that freaked everybody out in the final pages of the Episode 16 thread? Doing a Google search isn't proving helpful.

I'm literally like the seventh person to ask this question on this ep thread, and so far no one has answered. Could someone please enlighten me/us?
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

N. Needleman wrote:I don't think he was Mr. C. I do think elements of his doppelganger were now heightened in the warped, askew alternate reality. His shadow self is a part of him, and the world was out of balance.
I have to say the scene at the cafe might be the best example. He seemingly did the right things - but a with a menacing twist. Fine acting.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
scotchka

Post by scotchka »

sewhite2000 wrote:Oh, I do have another question. So, now that it's over, and there can be no harm in revealing it, what was the Julee Cruise leak that freaked everybody out in the final pages of the Episode 16 thread? Doing a Google search isn't proving helpful.

I'm literally like the seventh person to ask this question on this ep thread, and so far no one has answered. Could someone please enlighten me/us?
She posted a fake screenshot with her performing and "In memory of Dale Cooper" on the screen.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

The Gazebo wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I don't think he was Mr. C. I do think elements of his doppelganger were now heightened in the warped, askew alternate reality. His shadow self is a part of him, and the world was out of balance.
I have to say the scene at the cafe might be the best example. He seemingly did the right things - but a with a menacing twist. Fine acting.
I liked how he became a little softer at the end of that scene, as if he felt guilty.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I'll be honest: I expected robins and light and for the fog to lift on the gloom. Everything pointed towards that (it's The Return, after all!!). What we got I think is one of Lynch's greatest masterstroke gutpunches: evil is irreparable, there is no heaven for everyone.

"What year is it?" jesus christ, has there ever been more of a downer?
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Does anyone remember when Laura Dern was doing the promo stuff for the new show and she gave away how she had some "beautiful" dialogue with Kyle about the robins? What happened to that?
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

Metamorphia wrote:Does anyone remember when Laura Dern was doing the promo stuff for the new show and she gave away how she had some "beautiful" dialogue with Kyle about the robins? What happened to that?
That was the magazine misconstruing her talking about Blue Velvet.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

[vimeo][/vimeo]
rugerblackhawk357 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/4NVbk
Wtf??!? Are all the cast members unhappy with Lynch?
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

krishnanspace wrote:[vimeo][/vimeo]
rugerblackhawk357 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/4NVbk
Wtf??!? Are all the cast members unhappy with Lynch?
Just the two that always periodically were.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

soundchaser wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Does anyone remember when Laura Dern was doing the promo stuff for the new show and she gave away how she had some "beautiful" dialogue with Kyle about the robins? What happened to that?
That was the magazine misconstruing her talking about Blue Velvet.
Oh, thanks. I thought it sounded like a massive giveaway on her part when she'd have been briefed not to say anything.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

sewhite2000 wrote:Oh, I do have another question. So, now that it's over, and there can be no harm in revealing it, what was the Julee Cruise leak that freaked everybody out in the final pages of the Episode 16 thread? Doing a Google search isn't proving helpful.

She shared a screen shot of her singing (taken from some other performance) and it had ending credits over the top of it, with a mocked up "in memory" to Dale Cooper. I can't work out how to copy it here but here is a link https://www.facebook.com/julee.cruise1/ ... nref=story
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The Gazebo wrote:
"Don't worry. I'm with the FBI." The opposite of part 16 - he sounded exactly like Mr. C and didn't know it.

Then, when confronted with Carrie not being Laura as he'd anticipated, he turned confused and ineffectual to the end.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I get how she feels, but I don't think she can fault the performance in the finale for being cut down. Cruise has always been a little bonkers.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.