Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by sylviecerise »

So @mtsi, who was the cast member who you talked to?? I don't think we saw anyone who was off the cast list & was in the original series...
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

Didn't care for Gordon's exposition at the start of 17, and I've no idea what Lynch was thinking with the mockney glove wanker, but the rest of 17 was petty good.

As for 18, I loved every single fucking second of it.

Gave me full on og Twin Peaks chills throughout, no-one can create a sense of impending dread like Lynch. As for the ending, my stomach was already in a knot before the Chalfont/Tremond reveal. Hairs standing up on the back of my neck again just thinking about it.

I hope to god there's a season 4, but in absolutely fine with that ending if there isn't.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

So, the BigEd reflection, the RR restaurant change and Miriam's name change. Maybe reality was starting to flicker in Twin Peaks.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Thought Diane was gonna get banged by Bob. Was expecting a face swap...
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Absolutely loved it! Oddly enjoying the anger and disappointment being expressed at well. It wouldn't be a proper Lynch mindfuck without expectations kicked down an elevator shaft!

Glad I'm left with a huge grin and many questions. Season 4, please.
Last edited by Skip Bittman on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

Also, it was definitely 'chants' this time
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

No Harry appearance...
Josh

Post by Josh »

That was excruciating.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

HaroldSmith wrote:I swear I heard Sarah say "Laura?" right before Laura/Carrie screamed.
Yes, it was her calling laura in the pilot, and used in Coop's dream in ep 2, iirc.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

garethw wrote:
HaroldSmith wrote:I swear I heard Sarah say "Laura?" right before Laura/Carrie screamed.
Yes, it was her calling laura in the pilot, and used in Coop's dream in ep 2, iirc.
Correct on both accounts.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Seems Cooper is now stuck in a Jeffries state.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Jasper wrote:Seems Cooper is now stuck in a Jeffries state.
"It's slippery in here." :lol:
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

any explanation of cooper's face superimposed on the screen for alot of part 17?
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:Can we talk for a second about the Cooper/Diane relationship?

I did read "My Life, My Tapes," but I don't remember the apparent reference to something happening between the two of them at one point. Still, taking for granted that it's there, these episodes make it seem as if they'd been quietly carrying torches for each other all along, and I find that hard to reconcile with what we saw up until now. I mean, Cooper talks openly about his feelings for Annie (whom he doesn't even ask about here) in one of his recordings to Diane - why would he do that if he's secretly in love with her? The only way this makes sense to me is if the two of them actually interacted and had their relationship develop while trapped in the Lodges, but it seems like Diane was essentially imprisoned inside Naido ever since being tulpa-ized, so that doesn't seem likely either. And the hotel sex scene was just bizarre. Cooper's flat affect made me think we were actually seeing Mr. C again at one point.

Obviously there's plenty of unexplained weirdness in this episode, but most of it was plot-based rather than character-based. Cooper himself seemed out of character here.
In the book, there's a very cleverly written entry which -- without coming out and saying it -- infers that Dale and Diane have an intense sexual encounter. I totally missed it when I read the book as a 13-year-old and only understood it re-reading as an adult.

As for "Cooper himself seemed out of character here," um, yeaaaaah, I think that was pretty intentional.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

BigEd wrote:So, the BigEd reflection, the RR restaurant change and Miriam's name change. Maybe reality was starting to flicker in Twin Peaks.
Yes - and to add to that list - all the crazy/changing Billy references, Sarah's scene in the store questioning the turkey jerky, Audrey's scenes - especially the dance, the Road House dialogues, and there was quite a bit of "un"reality - Freddie's green hand, the sick girl in the car, Sarah's bar scene. Don't really know what to make of it all.