Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cgs027
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by cgs027 »

vicksvapor77 wrote: And what do we make of Mr. C's comment about him being only 25 years older than Richard? Is he only counting his "years on Earth"?
I don't see an issue with this, Richard seems to be around 25 years old, so if we assume Mr. C raped Audrey right before disappearing, the timeline makes sense.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Whoo. Okay. Wild! So:

I'm assuming there was, once, a real Diane Evans, and that the Bad Dale raped her, took her to the convenience store (which seems to be a kind of floating waystation for Lodge beings, perhaps moving from place to place around the world - maybe that's why they called it "the Dutchman", as in Flying Dutchman) and either destroyed her or imprisoned her - and then replaced her with a tulpa. But the tulpa Diane was too strong-willed and fought its creator's commands, hence the events of tonight. I hope we get some closure on that thread with Diane in the finale. Great showcase for Laura Dern though. You could do a miniseries just about the Diane mystery. So much left unknown.

People had guessed something extra-normal was up with Audrey, and after part 13 I became convinced they were right, even though it's unusual for Lynch to play with multiple levels of reality in the context of Twin Peaks. But then he's done a lot since Twin Peaks, including Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. I actually thought Coma? Institution? Audrey looked better than overly made up Audrey. I'm glad her character is turning out to be very central after all.

I loved everything with Coop, the Vegas gang and Janey-E and Sonny Jim. It's clear he is creating a new Dougie for them - shades of Ronnie Rocket or One Saliva Bubble - but I wish he would stay with Janey. I love them together. I just hope the new model Dougie is a significant improvement on the old one. Maybe because our Coop makes it?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Wally Brando wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
cooper is creating another dougie jones for janey-e.
I can't help but wonder if it's going to be that simple - or optimistic. I'm thinking perhaps Cooper will have to sacrifice himself and/or live out the rest of his life in the Lodge to allow Dougie to exist again, and that he plans to do exactly that. That song that Vedder's character was singing had lyrics like "whoever I was, I'll never be again" or something like that. Maybe Cooper figures that this is the end of the road for Special Agent Dale Cooper, FBI no matter what and, given the choice between allowing Dougie another chance or trying to rebuild his own life, he'll choose the former.
Yes, I think this time the one armed man will make a new version of Dougie with all of Cooper's best qualities, and after Dale Cooper (Finally!) sacrifices himself to take down Mr C. that this new Dougie Dale will live happily ever after with Janey-E and Sonny Jim.
But in theory, Coop and Dougie could coexist right? A human and a tulpa coexisting is fine, but a human and his doppelganger is what Mike refers to when he says "one of you must die" I thought?

Edit: Or wait, what was the original Blue Rose scenario? Did both women die? That might be some foreshadowing.
Last edited by ThumbsUp on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Do we think the coordinates where Richard died were the two matching or other one? Like did he send him to the non-matching one and lie to him about it because he thought it might be a trap?

And who are the three people that sent him coordinates? Who sent the two matching set vs. the other set? Did Diane ever sent him any as far as we know before this episode? And did Diane send Mr. C the "right" or "wrong" coordinates in this episode?

Also, Diane was manufactured by Evil Cooper we assume, right? Based on Phillip Gerard's comment, he did it without him? But Cooper needs Gerard's help and hair to make one?

And what do we make of Mr. C's comment about him being only 25 years older than Richard? Is he only counting his "years on Earth"?
I took it to mean the 3 coordinates came from: Diane (via text), Ray (via paper in his pocket), and Jefferies (via smoke signals). Still not sure who I think had the "correct" ones vs the ones that were meant to fry him...
Yeah but Diane didn't send him the coordinates until after he says that or am I totally wrong?
I don't recall if we specifically saw Diane SEND the coordinates, but we saw her crib them off of Albert and then look up where they pointed to. I assume she forwarded this info to Mr. C... (and again, whole can of worms here -- did Albert trick her?, etc.).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ha... He said "im twenty five years your senior." Maybe just fudging to make Coooer only fifty now.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
kylie

Post by kylie »

cgs027 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote: And what do we make of Mr. C's comment about him being only 25 years older than Richard? Is he only counting his "years on Earth"?
I don't see an issue with this, Richard seems to be around 25 years old, so if we assume Mr. C raped Audrey right before disappearing, the timeline makes sense.
That's exactly how I understood it. Richard was born 25 years ago, which must be when Audrey was raped. And then DoppelCoop literally said Richard was his son.
Last edited by kylie on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

So does the original Audrey dance in Season 1 have more meaning?

"Isn't it too dreamy?"
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

N. Needleman wrote: I'm assuming there was, once, a real Diane Evans, and that the Bad Dale raped her, took her to the convenience store (which seems to be a kind of floating waystation for Lodge beings, perhaps moving from place to place around the world - maybe that's why they called it "the Dutchman", as in Flying Dutchman) and either destroyed her or imprisoned her - and then replaced her with a tulpa. But the tulpa Diane was too strong-willed and fought its creator's commands, hence the events of tonight.
YEP, agreed.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

mtwentz wrote:
Definitely, though I want to say at this point- the naysayers are welcomed back into the fold, no questions asked, no apologies necessary :-)
Maybe we need an amnesty thread where the disappointed can say positive things with no questions asked?
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Hockey Mask wrote:So does the original Audrey dance in Season 1 have more meaning?

"Isn't it too dreamy?"

My girlfriend and I both said that aloud when she started dancing, and then both immediately gasped as we realized the implications
I'm back in style!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Ashok wrote:Mr. C said he got 3 sets of coordinates, 2 are fake are 1 is real.

If I understand this correctly, Jeffries and Diane are both working against Mr. C and gave him fake coordinates to kill him? But the set he got from Ray are real?
I took it that Jeffries and Ray both provided coordinates that would get Mr. C killed. He saw through this and sacrificed his son on the rock (ala Isaac).
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hockey Mask wrote:So does the original Audrey dance in Season 1 have more meaning?

"Isn't it too dreamy?"
Love it. I really think Audrey's sleep-state, coma, hypotherapy, or whatever it is (I believe it's more supernatural, evil and Lodge-related than anything medical) has a psychic tie to the Roadhouse and the various vignettes we've seen all season. She's a dreamer who dreams who's inside the dream (maybe one of several, we'll come to find).
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

RainingPostToasties wrote:I don't remember the last time a piece of televised entertainment made me say "Oh, shit," aloud as many times as tonight.

Cooper's return, Diane, Audrey, vaporized Richard, the botched hit. Every scene tonight was highly consequential.

I suppose Cooper doesn't plan on coming back since he's having another Dougie manufactured for Janey-E. Heartbreak!
I think he's going to have the new Dougie take his place in the FBI (or whatever retirement plan he qualifies for) and he's going to go back to Janey-E and Sonny Jim and work for either the Mitchums or Bushnell (or both). He really seemed to enjoy Janey-E and Sonny Jim.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

cgs027 wrote:Oh, and this also makes the whole Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone clue much more cryptic... If we just saw Richard get fried into oblivion (and still aren't sure about WHO Linda is), how does the ONE STONE come into play?

(Unless those same coordinates somehow come into play RE: Linda).
Not sure about this, but that was one big "stone" that Richard got fried on.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I am also so thrilled that the completely crackpot "the mitchum bros and Candie need to go to twin peaks with cooper" theory is coming to pass...

ALSO- CANDIE- DIANE C
I'm back in style!