Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by RainingPostToasties »

I don't remember the last time a piece of televised entertainment made me say "Oh, shit," aloud as many times as tonight.

Cooper's return, Diane, Audrey, vaporized Richard, the botched hit. Every scene tonight was highly consequential.

I suppose Cooper doesn't plan on coming back since he's having another Dougie manufactured for Janey-E. Heartbreak!
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

richsmith wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
richsmith wrote:If this Diane was a tulpa, then what are we retrospectively meant to make of her scene with EvilCoop in the jailhouse? She seemed so genuinely disturbed and vulnerable there. Was it another one of the moments like in her last scene in Gordon's hotel room where the "real" Diane was struggling to get out?
I feel like her reactions in the actual interview scene were genuine....but by the time she got outside, her conversation with Gordon was a performance (which he saw through right away)
That's the way it felt to me too. But then how is that at all consistent?

EDIT: Just saw Wonderful & Strange's post above mine, which seems to be reasonable.
Agree...I think that's the only way it works. I hope that's the case, because it makes the character nicely complex and rather tragic.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

dugpa wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
Damn! I didn't think of that. Wow! I keep thinking of Coop talking to her in the tape recorder - that whole time he was talking to someone who possibly wasn't real and created by his doppelgänger in the future. What does that mean about Janey-E who is supposed to be her half sister?

What's with the "seed" that Coop knows about? Are we all just manufactured for a purpose?

I thought maybe Bad Coop killed the real Diane and had a facsimile created of her.

Oh, and the coordinates lead to the Sheriff's station?! Looks like those other 2 sets of coordinates were bogus.
The Diane we have seen was made by the doppelganger, just like Dougie. The fate of the true Diane is unclear, but there seems to be a very important connection between her and Naido...
Seems to me the other two sets of coordinates were not bogus. They were a trap but set by who...
Coop?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Rex wrote:
dugpa wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
The Diane we have seen was made by the doppelganger, just like Dougie. The fate of the true Diane is unclear, but there seems to be a very important connection between her and Naido...
Seems to me the other two sets of coordinates were not bogus. They were a trap but set by who...
Coop?
MIKE!
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Troubbble wrote:
Rex wrote:
dugpa wrote:
Coop?
MIKE!
Maybe that's why he had the ring.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

So why does Doppel Diane tell the FBI Janey-E is her half sister? Why is that connection important in the show? There's something weird going on there.
QuantumMechanic

So what's that ringing noise?

Post by QuantumMechanic »

Right before MIKE appears and Cooper awakes (yay!) we (and Bushnell) hear that same ringing noise that was heard in the Great Northern in two places.

Here it seemed to serve the purpose of getting Bushnell out of the room so Cooper and MIKE could have their conversation. But what was it's purpose back at the Great Northern?
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

richsmith wrote:If this Diane was a tulpa, then what are we retrospectively meant to make of her scene with EvilCoop in the jailhouse? She seemed so genuinely disturbed and vulnerable there. Was it another one of the moments like in her last scene in Gordon's hotel room where the "real" Diane was struggling to get out?
There's a lot to learn about how this whole tupla thing works, and some may go unexplained. But whatever the case may be there seemed to be something genuine about the emotions the tupla Diane was expressing both in the jailhouse and when she was recollecting the story of Evil Cooper's visit.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Re: So what's that ringing noise?

Post by Rex »

QuantumMechanic wrote:Right before MIKE appears and Cooper awakes (yay!) we (and Bushnell) hear that same ringing noise that was heard in the Great Northern in two places.

Here it seemed to serve the purpose of getting Bushnell out of the room so Cooper and MIKE could have their conversation. But what was it's purpose back at the Great Northern?
I keep thinking there it's Josie.
QuantumMechanic

AgentEcho wrote:
richsmith wrote: There's a lot to learn about how this whole tupla thing works, and some may go unexplained. But whatever the case may be there seemed to be something genuine about the emotions the tupla Diane was expressing both in the jailhouse and when she was recollecting the story of Evil Cooper's visit.
I'm guessing that for a tulpa to be convincing it has to be "seeded" (word choice intentional) with some aspects of the person being copied. And so those real bits of Diane would come to the surface now and then.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I love how Coop, despite being trapped in Dougie, seemed to fall in love with a community he had suddenly been thrust into (like he did in TP), and they all loved him back. So good.
QuantumMechanic

There's a lot to learn about how this whole tupla thing works, and some may go unexplained. But whatever the case may be there seemed to be something genuine about the emotions the tupla Diane was expressing both in the jailhouse and when she was recollecting the story of Evil Cooper's visit.
I'm guessing that for a tulpa to be convincing it has to be "seeded" (word choice intentional) with some aspects of the person being copied. And so those real bits of Diane would come to the surface now and then.[/quote]
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Did anyone else think they were going to go 100% meta with Audrey, and have the credits roll during her dance (and possibly never return to her story)?
QuantumMechanic

I'm guessing that for a tulpa to be convincing it has to be "seeded" (word choice intentional) with some aspects of the person being copied. And so those real bits of Diane would come to the surface now and then.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Troubbble wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
WHOA!!!!
real diane - blinded and muted by dopplecoop but sent back by the fireman.
In line with what I was just saying... I love this.
I've been places.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3400&p=80504&hilit=Naido#p80504