Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

KHAN Games wrote:Anyone notice the continuity error from the text that DoppleCoop sent Diane? Two different time stamps between cuts, one from an iMessage and one from a Text Message. Haha. Probably not relevant.
Didn't spot that.

The one that got me was the drone shot when Hutch & Chantal arrive at Dougie's.

You hear the sound of the van slowing down, and I thought "must be tricky to time the framing right so it stops nicely in the shot as the drone descends." Lo and behold, they didn't. The van comes into the frame, but it is already stationary; the sound effects indicate it still slowing and halting.

It was weird because i happened to be looking for it; i normally don't register many continuity errors that others find obvious.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

thedarktrees wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Another question...

MIght Good Coop have manufactured the Diane tulpa? He obviously knows what tulpas are and how to make them. And Diane seemed like "herself" when she muttered "Coop" and "I hope this works" when she sent Mr. C the coordinates.

Setting a trap? (Sorry if this was previously discussed.)
That's a good question. I was definitely confused by that comment of Diane's. I partly think that it reflects some kind of internal split or struggle in the Diane tulpa, where the good Diane (or that side of her) is asserting itself. I mean there has to be some reason why the Diane tulpa was compelled to confess all this stuff to Gordon, Albert, and Tammy. If she was just some programmed tulpa drone, she would have just shot them all up, no?

But there IS a possibility that some other plan was at work here.
I just rewatched that scene too and was equally confused. By the way, it definitely seemed like Diane was aiming for Cole specifically, not Albert or Tammy. Not sure why but I noticed it upon rewatch.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:As some others have noted, one of the few things I've been missing on this show is pure Lynchian creepiness like Bob climbing over the couch, the Mystery Man in LH, the Winkie's Bum, &c. The Woodsmen descending on DoppelCoop did it for me (as well as a couple of other things in Part 8, like the frogbug). But JR Starr announcing "Audrey's Dance" and the crowd moving in unison to clear the dance floor....holy HELL my skin was crawling. One of those perfect dreamy/nightmarish moments DKL does better than anyone. Who'da thought that the goofy Roadhouse announcer would have the creepiest line in the show, and it would be a track title from the OST?
Yep - I flipped out when the announcer said that and actually ran up to my tv so I wouldn't miss a moment of that scene. - A fantastic nod to the original character and series while also being one of the creepiest and most bizarre scenes of the new season.

Also - I can't remember which interview this was that Kyle did, but it was one where fans sent him questions, and it was after production had wrapped and may have been close to the Return's premiere. A fan asked him what his favorite song was from the original series, and his response was "Audrey's Dance." :D. I thought that was an interesting answer then, and it's even more so now!
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

We should do a poll or give odds on who will die in the finale. I am going with Norma and/or Ed, all the versions of Dale, Harry and possibly Mrs. Palmer.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Any Takers?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I just rewatched that scene too and was equally confused. By the way, it definitely seemed like Diane was aiming for Cole specifically, not Albert or Tammy. Not sure why but I noticed it upon rewatch.
Like much of the Diane / Cole stuff, I'm SURE that there was a meta element to this, and Dern and DKL had a good laugh about the many times she probably wanted to shoot him on set over the years, particularly during IE.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I've been thinking more about the creation of the tulpas. Cooper can create one using DNA (hair) and the "seed" of the former tulpa. How did Mr. C create OG Dougie? Presumably from hair but what else? I assume there was no previous seed of that Dougie, right?

Also, I keep thinking that maybe there's a tie between Diane and Audrey both having been raped by Mr. C/Bob. Did their psyches create tulpas to protect themselves from the trauma? Or was Mr. C/Bob planting his "seed" intentionally or not (perhaps the sole purpose of the intercourse) to create tulpas out of them for some reason? I'm thinking the rape itself/transfer of DNA might be how/what caused Diane and Audrey to form tulpas?
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

Speaking of dreams, what if all this is in the mind of Leo, still chained up after all these years and waiting for the spider cage to drop? ;)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Meh, Sherilyn def can't pull that dance anymore. Thought it was kind of awkward.

I'd much rather see Annie break in the Roadhouse with this tune

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

So it must be pretty certain that we will see Julee Cruise at The Roadhouse this Sunday. I'm so psyched.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Meh, Sherilyn def can't pull that dance anymore. Thought it was kind of awkward.

I'd much rather see Annie break in the Roadhouse with this tune

Loved the avatar Stanley, who's that?

And damn, Heather was on fire.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

The black flame that came outta Diane looked like a black ear of corn...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Major Briggs wrote:Loved the avatar Stanley, who's that?
That's a man who'd make Bad Cooper weep like a little girl :wink:
Major Briggs wrote:And damn, Heather was on fire.
Yeah, Fire Walk With Anniefor sure 8)
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

How can Coop be awake with BadCooper still out there? Didn't Mike say back in episode 2 that two Dales couldn't be out at the same time and one would have to come back in for him to go out?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

writersblock wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BigEd wrote:You guys are giving me a headache. Mr. C told Richard that he was "25 years his senior." That just meant that he was 25 years older than Richard (it doesn't matter how old either one of them is). Now, since we know that TPTR is happening 25 years after the original series, that tells us that since Richard is Mr. C's son via Audrey rape in hospital (hopefully nobody is still arguing against that), then it all checks out. Richard is 25 years old. It doesn't matter what age Mr. C / Coop is. It's just math folks. :lol:
I think you're confused. Think about it this way.

David Lynch was born in 1946. His daughter Lula was born in 2012. That makes him 66 years her senior (i.e., he spent 66 years on Earth before she was born).

Now, if we were to retcon DKL's birth to 1956, he would only be 56 years her senior.

The parent's age is the key here; the kid's age is irrelevant.
I am having fun watching people getting confused by this :D
I second that. :)

I also don't think that it's a throw-away line; it has weird implications to chronology, and i don't see it being a sloppy writing error.... (Although Frost & Lynch making the same blunder that's common here would be kind of hilarious. :)