Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Novalis »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Yes. Exactly this!
I haven't rewatched, but I was thinking: maybe the scenes in which the announcer (JR Starr) is, are the scenes that aren't 'real'?
Sorry if this idea was stated before!
I thought the same thing, but the announcer is also in the scene where "green glove" punches the two guys, and later he and James are arrested for that, so it must have been real, unless the jail scenes aren't real, either. The scenes with the announcer are:

- Part 8: Nine Inch Nails
- Part 13: James sings "Just You and I" (this scene seems very unreal)
- Part 14: Sophie and Megan (Tina's daughter) talk about Billy (characters mentioned by Audrey), and they mention the nuthouse.
- Part 15: James and his friend with the green glove are at the Roadhouse, "green glove" punches two guys.
- Part 16: Audrey at the Roadhouse.
I'll be profoundly disappointed if the scene where the announcer cranks up the volume using a massive cardboard dial and then dances like a maniac turns out to be a dream. That has to be real. No-one dreams up stuff that strange and wonderful. :D
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

ringbearer wrote:He forgot the ring under the pillow
I had the same concern initially, but then decided that he probably just grabbed it while he was getting dressed. My guess is that he's supposed to somehow get it onto Mr. C's finger before he is killed so that he'll be pulled into the lodge/waiting room like Ray was.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Did the man who was throwing the bottle at the other man in the Roadhouse after Audrey's dance call him "Barney"? In Part 1, Marjorie Green said that the manager of Ruth Davenport's apartment is called Barney and "Barney's not here. He's a funny one, that Barney. He's in the hospital, not the regular hospital." It sounded to me like she was saying he was crazy, and later we had a few "nuthouse" references in Part 14 (Chad said about the man who was bleeding from his mouth "Fucking nuthouse" and Sophie said to Tina's daughter: "That's because you're hanging out at the nuthouse.") If characters who are connected to Audrey are crazy/in a nuthouse, does that confirm the theory that Audrey is in a mental institution?
So are some of the other patients (Charlie, Billy) in this "nuthouse" with Audrey a homage to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"?
And are many of the seemingly random conversation's in some of the Roadhouse scene's Audrey's dream-world interpretation of conversations between fellow patients?
Cuckoos Nest.jpg
Cuckoos Nest.jpg (253.05 KiB) Viewed 10104 times
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote:
mtwentz wrote:So assuming that's the last we've seen of Richard (not a safe assumption really, but definitely a possibility) how does everyone feel about that ending for his character arc? I was kind of expecting Richard trying to blame his lack of having good parents as the reason he turned out the way he did. But if that't the last we see of him, it is sure to be slightly controversial as some will say that we needed to at least hear the conversation between him and DoppelCoop on the way to the coordinates.
Mr. C could have taken any person and placed them on that rock... My take is that whatever happened, it could've only been triggered by Mr. C or someone very genetically similar. Perhaps Richard was created just for this purpose?

Was Mr. C was merely using Richard to see if the rock was some sort of trap, or did Mr. C have to knowingly sacrifice his offspring as part of an offering to The Experiment? If it was the intent to bring Richard into this world only to turn him into cannon fodder, what is Mr. C gaining from this? So many questions.

As for Richard's arc ending here, I can't really see that happening. The way he perished (it looked like his body vanished and left just his head there for a moment) seems to indicate he'll pop up again. Maybe Richard will be another kind of BOB type monster. Given the way this episode ended though, there is no telling what is certain.
Great points. The only flaw in DoppelCoop creating Richard just for that purpose is that it would be a big coincidence that Richard just happens to stumble upon him right before he goes to the coordinates.

Then again, maybe if Richard had not shown up, DoppelCoop would have gone and found him in Twin Peaks, so it's still in the realm of possibility.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Leebob wrote:So are some of the other patients (Charlie, Billy) in this "nuthouse" with Audrey a homage to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"?
And are many of the seemingly random conversation's in some of the Roadhouse scene's Audrey's dream-world interpretation of conversations between fellow patients?
Oh man, very possibly! Just looked, there's also characters named Martini (Audrey and Charlie ordered martinis at the bar) and Dale!
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Has anyone brought up that it's weird that Cooper seems like Cooper pre-season 2 finale? I assumed the Black Lodge split his soul into two parts, good and evil? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
I think you could actually argue that he was EXCESSIVELY good upon his return.
I'm back in style!
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

MoondogJR wrote: I'll be profoundly disappointed if the scene where the announcer cranks up the volume using a massive cardboard dial and then dances like a maniac turns out to be a dream. That has to be real. No-one dreams up stuff that strange and wonderful. :D
Dude. Same.
I'm back in style!
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

So, to skip 500 responses....

Is TPTR as simple as "Audrey is the Dreamer?"

I hope not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

TheGum wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Has anyone brought up that it's weird that Cooper seems like Cooper pre-season 2 finale? I assumed the Black Lodge split his soul into two parts, good and evil? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
I think you could actually argue that he was EXCESSIVELY good upon his return.
True. But it's not like we ever saw darkness in Cooper much before we met his doppleganger? I guess it's hard for me to believe Cooper ever had rape and murder in his heart?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I haven't been into most of the theorizing/speculation, but I think the people who spotted the Dianagrams are really onto something. Also, i'm coining the phrase "Dianagram."

Can't believe the Cooper age error. Any true fan knows Dale was 15 in 1989, per his arrest report. :roll: :lol:
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Leebob wrote:So are some of the other patients (Charlie, Billy) in this "nuthouse" with Audrey a homage to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? And are many of the seemingly random conversation's in some of the Roadhouse scene's Audrey's dream-world interpretation of conversations between fellow patients?
Oh man, very possibly! Just looked, there's also characters named Martini (Audrey and Charlie ordered martinis at the bar) and Dale!
I'm loving this comparison. "Cuckoo's Nest" is a favorite film of mine. Seeing Audrey's final image Part 16 dressed in all white evoked for me more of a mental institution than a hospital coma ward. And that was because all-white attire was what inpatients like McMurphy had to wear, as well as orderlies and nurses.

Also the film featured Brad Dourif's breakout role, who has since been cast in Blue Velvet and Dune.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mtsi wrote:So, to skip 500 responses....

I hope not.

I don't think Lynch ever gives clear cut answers to questions like that. My bet is it will be open to multiple interpretations (who the dreamer is and if there is a dreamer at all).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I hope not.

Still wondering who mtsi saw on location!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:

I hope not.

Still wondering who mtsi saw on location!!
One more week to find out... hopefully...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Well, that was it. The moment he came back to us. Still not sure what is going on with Audrey and I kinda doubt the next two weeks are going to wrap anything up other than maybe the White Lodge/Black Lodge War which is big enough.