Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

Audrey Horne wrote:He said "you've already met", right? Not met her. Maybe Judy is a man or a thing. Or Sarah as the Mother.
I am thinking BadCoop has already met Sarah. Also convinced that Audrey is in a coma and perhaps never woke up, also Richard is Coops son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Soolsma wrote:Obviously, that was what James was planning all along.
Yup either he planned to be in the cell at the right time or he knew a course of action would trigger things to get him where he needed to be. Also I think of anyone he could also be a good spirit. He didn't seem massively shocked when he got green glove guy to recount his story

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Esselgee wrote:I always thought that Ed and Nadine's house was right next to the Gas Farm on the old show. Am I wrong about that?

I thought Cyril Pons was a big time new reporter. What is he doing living at a trailer park?

So Jeffries just spends his time in a giant teapot now?

So Charlene Yi must have been waiting for Wally Brando, right?

Have we seen the woman who unlocked the door for Doppel Coop before? What was her credit?

Have we seen a No Smoking sign at the roadhouse any other time than the Richard Horne scene?

I hope that if I talk to someone on the phone right before I die that it's someone who can carry a compassionate conversation better than Hawk.

It was cool to see another scene with Bobby and James in the jail cells. I wish they would have had some dialog with each other though.

I doubt if Audrey has been in a coma all this time that Richard would have seen a photo of Agent Cooper that she had. Also, how would she have had gotten a photo of Cooper any time before the bank explosion?
I was think of door unlocking being Beulah or a version of her. Interesting how Bad Coop doesn't speak in reverse any more

NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Quick delurk. So happy to finally have the Mt. Si Motel scene out where we can understand it and talk about it.

Short notes clarifying what I saw on the night:
* the setpiece with the door and wallpaper - photos of this are now finally surfacing
* 3 figures in black approaching room 8 - this would be Evil Coop and two woodsmen. My mistake was thinking the two black-clad figures off to either side were some sort of crewmember and were out of the shot. They were in the shot.
* the man dressed as a woman, filmed walking backwards. We totally spotted that it was a man from body language.
* they did arrive quite late (after midnight) and wrapped early morning
* I heard David say "Kale" into the megaphone at least once
* they came directly from Convenience Store shoot in Olallie area - most likely the scenes we saw tonight
* Kyle's presence in Olallie that day was leaked by facebook photo from Harley motorcycle owner in now-deleted post, wish I could find a capture of it
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

sylviecerise wrote:(taken from reddit)

Someone caught what appears to be Sarah's face superposed over the Jumping Man

And from the last episode, when Sarah removes her face, we saw something that looked like the Jumping Man's nose.
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

thedarktrees wrote:I wonder WHY DoppelCoop is so preoccupied with Judy. Has he come across this name before and thinks it has something to do with whatever he's seeking (i.e., whatever is reference on the scratched out playing card)?
What if Judy is his daughter? Wasn't there something about Richard and Judy at the beginning or am I mixing things up?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

As everyone, I absolutely loved to see Ed & Norma finally being together. I hope the same happens for Bobby & Shelly too.

Everything about the Convenience store was incredible but man, it is sure a bummer not to see David Bowie there instead of that damn percolator.

The Log Lady sendoff was absolutely heartbreaking.

I also think that Coop will wake up in the next episode. Hearing Gordon's name and the look on his face sealed it for me, even before he got electrocuted.

Still not sure where they are going with Audrey or Freddie Sykes.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
kylie

Post by kylie »

docLEXfisti wrote:What if Judy is his daughter? Wasn't there something about Richard and Judy at the beginning or am I mixing things up?
It was "Richard and Linda" at the beginning, not Judy.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

So they used room 8 at the Red Diamond. 6 was the FWWM room. It's either the same lamp you see in Missing Pieces or the same kind.
Attachments
screen-shot-2017-08-21-at-12-4.jpg
screen-shot-2017-08-21-at-12-4.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
screen-shot-2017-08-21-at-12-3.jpg
screen-shot-2017-08-21-at-12-3.jpg (92.01 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Wow. A stand-out episode for sure. If all the plot/narrative-focused episodes had had this level of both dread and sentimentality, I'd have been pretty high on every hour of the show so far.

Very, very affecting throughout -- from the coming together of Ed and Norma (which got me chocked up with the unbridled triumph of the atmospheric shots accompanying the climax of the song; if dread can reverberate through the nature of Twin Peaks, so can raw joy), to Margaret Lanterman's musings on death as transformation, calling back to a number of violent actions witnessed throughout the season (and dovetailing with Chantal and Hutch's well-characterized dialogue tonight).

"My log is turning gold" is such a simple and effective punctuation to that scene, bringing together two of the show's most potent symbols (gold and wood, which have been steadily accumulating meaning and connections throughout) in a sudden swift jab--this is one of the strongest things writing and fiction can do, in my mind: to build its own language of replacement and symbols existing in a nebulous emotional ether, to be suddenly brought to bear on the audience with power no direct statement could match. I knew the scene was coming because I had to wait a full workday (on Japan time) to watch the episode, and it still brought me to tears. That may be my favorite line of the series, and perfectly, it's one that won't register as poignant to anyone who hasn't sat through the buildup.

Elsewhere, more transformations: Cooper has changed into Dougie, into a more lucid Dougie (able to take pleasure in shifting objects and pushing buttons this episode, at home in his world of learning and guidance); Janey-E's unsatisfied existence has changed into one of fantasy, as everything around Cooper-Dougie has fallen serendipitously (literally guided by angels, if you want to call them that) into place. Surely it's destined to come crashing down next episode. Electricity is a powerful vehicle in Twin Peaks, Dougie has been warned to "not die," and Chantal and Hutch have one more job in town, a natural climax for all of the Las Vegas plots, which have otherwise been neatly--for Twin Peaks--wrapped up.

Steven hoped to meet God in his final moments. Echoes of "seeing the face of God" there, but I'm not sure what to make of that yet other than more "death of transformation," this time cast in a less positive light. The woods (which really returned to prominence as a harbinger for the evil spirit world this episode!) are highlighted from Gersten's POV at the end of the scene, hungry for more sorrow and pain. But we've always known there were two spirit worlds in Twin Peaks.

The jail cells seem to be lining up chess pieces for the finale. Surely it can't be a coincidence to have Freddie and Naido in one place.

The roadhouse scene this week belongs in Lynch's highlight reel. Loved every second of that. Sleek and dreadful and a great capper to everything that had occurred over the past hour.

Other notes: I'll be interested in seeing if the series' numerology (we saw the "8" this week) earns an emotional payoff like most of the series' other symbols and formative objects so far. So far that seems like an unusually intellectual bent.

And it seems twenty-five years of fire-walking have turned Jeffries into pure domestic horror. Fitting enough.

Top three episodes at this point: 8, 15, 6
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

The portal shortcut from the disappearing convenience store. Does is take us to actual Twin Peaks or if a quantum dimension (alien/lodge place) chilling out on top of the real place? Is Palmer house upstairs somehow likewise "parallel" to the convenience store, as when Laura sees herself in the photo in her dream of Annie and the ring? The door Cooper passes through to get to the motel is where the Sarah's bedroom might be.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

cgs027 wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
Wow, I could not understand a friggin word of that either. But if that was what was going on...? Even more reason to ask why we wasted 5 minutes on that scene? So, the guy liked snatch? Great...
I think the point of that scene was portraying the evil of those woods.
Fair enough, but I think that point has already been driven home (including in the 1st 2 seasons). Just don't see the reason for that scene to take up so much space, if that was what it was meant to accomplish -- especially with a character that we were BARELY invested in either way.
there's also the implication that he might have killed Becky, at least i felt that subtext was there both during the conversation and the omnious zooming in on the trailer where they live(d)
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

sylviecerise wrote:(taken from reddit)

Someone caught what appears to be Sarah's face superposed over the Jumping Man

And from the last episode, when Sarah removes her face, we saw something that looked like the Jumping Man's nose.
WHOA!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Esselgee wrote:The Blu-ray will feature extended episode cuts. The Super Extended Dougie Edition - A few more hours of Dougie eating, playing the slots, trying to go to the bathroom, scribbling on paper, and walking into doors.
LOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

sylvia_north wrote:The portal shortcut from the disappearing convenience store. Does is take us to actual Twin Peaks or if a quantum dimension (alien/lodge place) chilling out on top of the real place? Is Palmer house upstairs somehow likewise "parallel" to the convenience store, as when Laura sees herself in the photo in her dream of Annie and the ring? The door Cooper passes through to get to the motel is where the Sarah's bedroom might be.
Probably either or both?

I read the return of the motel from FWWM as being a shadow of a real-world location that had picked up emotional ties to the Lodge (surely Jeffries isn't chilling in one of the real-world rooms in that state, and guests wouldn't need Lodge entities to unlock the doors). At the same time, we know the Lodge beings can literally move themselves through electricity, Bob is implied to actually be in Laura's ceiling at points (effective as both a metaphor and a literal narrative part of the mythology), etc., so I don't see why it can't be a little of column A, column B. Shadow locations, but also entries into real locations.

How good was this episode? Good enough to have me excited to talk about the series' literal mythology.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.