Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

sewhite2000 wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:So I'm thinking about Judy a lot... will she be the 4th Laura, I mean, is it possible? After Laura, Maddy and Doppel-Laura maybe she'll be a redhead this time? Won't happen I guess, but I would love it.

Any actresses left that did not appear so far that could play Judy?
Far from confident, but given the terrifying emphasis placed on her during the end credits, I'm strongly suspicious of the "bosomy woman" who opened the door for Cooper. Surprised no one seems to be wondering whether she could be Judy...
I've been accused of being a glory hog around here, but I did propose this theory. It's several pages back on this thread.
"No one" was hyperbole... Guess what I meant was that I expected MORE to be speculating about this.

Lynch put strong emphasis on that woman for a reason. (And yes, in the world of the show, it's a woman. Don't care that the actor is male.)
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

Another owl wrote:Have to say: it's so funny seem some of you "celebrating" an (supposedly) return of Cooper....on the 16th episode!!! On a total of 18.. :roll:

Let's face it. This is going bad. The Big Ed and Norma scene was like they rushed things in. Like "ok, we are obligated to show some old carachters so people don't complain. Just put them togheter in a total of 3 minutes and get over with it". But maybe he forgot that some fans NEVER complain. NEVER. Not even about yet another scene of Dougie eating a cake. "Wow! We are witnessing history". Really?
Some of you guys want this to be true so bad that it doesen't even matter that what we are witnessing, really, is a boy with a rubber glove that gave him superstrenght.
Lynch had all the money in the world to make Jeffries a tea kettle? Really? It's that ok for you? None of the new carcathers was well development (Beverly Paige? Beverly Paige's Husband? All the carachters in the Roadhouse? The list goes on and on).
Well, if some of you guys are enjoiyng it, that's fine. I resapect that. Really. And, hey, the show still have some good moments. Episode 8 was really awesone. But don't try so hard to put everithing Lynch does in the "genius work" category. The guy deserves some critics, after all. A lot of them, actually. This new TP it's in on the top of list, sadly.
I didn't get that feeling from the Ed & Norma thing. That felt on line with many things. There is still the question though that did the moving reflection and playing with matches mean anything, was Ed going bitter in life and on the verge to go dark, perhaps love saved him. Nadine is required for that story, but it's all hypothetical. All in all it would've been easier to just leave Nadine off and show Norma with Ed. Nadine was probably required to tie in Dr. Jacoby to all this and his golden shovel -thing was really funny and spot on in life, YOU shovel your way out of the shit. :D

I guess there was some pleasing to the old audiences done there, but not too much that I really mind about. I also actually did not mind the teapot -Jeffries at all. Sure someone like Weller sitting in a dark room not showing his face properly would've been magnificent as well, but it didn't matter.

My only problem is the guy with the green glove. That's just so out of a superhero comic book that it's very much out of place to the world of Twin Peaks I've come familiar with. If he comes to any part of a solution to solve a hypothetical ultimate final battle type of thing then that feels rushed off and what a let down to settle things off. Maybe Lynch is having a laugh of his own for doing that if it's the case, I know I would. :D
Last edited by TPDpz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'm assuming the super strength of the 'Mockney geezah' will be used in the battle against super-powered Evil Coop.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

WHAT IF... Judy is Sheryl Lee and the REAL name of the person/face in THE ORB that the Fireman and senorita Dido sent to earth in the fifties...?

Which would mean Laura/Maddie and also the third Sheryl Lee character (planned for the never-realized "old" season 3 that wasn't meant to be) are ALL Judy?

Who knows what's in store for us in those remaining 3 hours... Literally everything could happen.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Esselgee wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Esselgee wrote:I always thought that Ed and Nadine's house was right next to the Gas Farm on the old show. Am I wrong about that?
The gas station is in a different location now. Ed moved.
Was this covered in Frost's book or just conjecture?
I assumed Nadine walked from her drape store rather than the house. She had the shovel. Maybe she has one at home, too, but I think she came to visit Ed from work.
whos_a_pretty_bird

Post by whos_a_pretty_bird »

thedougpa wrote:Anyone have a transcript of what was said between Stephen and Gersten?

G "Why?"
S "There is no Why. I did do it."
G "No! She dit it. She did it."
"no
no no
She did it. You were f*cking stoned. What the '* did she give you?"
S "Are you going to come up with me?"
G "No! And you're not going either."
S "Look at me. I graduated high school. I'm a high school graduate."
G "...Oh no!"

Then Stephen gets afraid he won't see her when she "comes up there", and continue to wonder if he will end up with The Rhinosaurus, or The lightning in the bottle, or if he will be all ...like...turquoise.
And he liked to f*ck Gersten, and her c*nt.
A beautiful, haunting scene, I thought.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

crash_and_burn wrote:I simply cannot wait for this to be released as a Blu Ray box set.

Just cannot wait.
Speak for yourself.

I am terrified that I will quit my job and watch it in a loop until I die
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

jup instabuy bluray when it comes out, I hope maybe with some nice extra features (sure we can forget a commentary track by lynch, maybe one with Frost?)

loved the episode, the farewell scene with loglady was amazing. also was affraid first that Nadine would hit Big Ed (you big lug) with the shovel.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I loved this episode! A couple notes about the Gersten/Steven and Audrey/Charlie scenes in part 15:

When Steven is rambling to Gersten, when he says "I'm a high school graduate" twice, that seems to be when Gersten gets a somewhat terrified look in her eyes. Could mean anything but it had me wondering... were Steven and Becky high-school sweethearts? If so, this could add fuel to the idea that he shot and killed Becky and therefore "graduated high school." I dunno, the way Gersten trembled and the look on her face when he spoke that particular line was worrisome.

Also, Audrey and Charlie... not to minimize what could turn out to be a very interesting scenario, but I can't shake the feeling that so much of the dialogue was inspired by Lynch's (and maybe Frost's) anger at Sherilyn Fenn for her awful Twitter antics during pre-production and filming. (I don't want to re-hash all the anti-Sherilyn stuff but some of it seemed so obvious to me during Part 15, I can't help but bring it up and see if anybody else caught this drift). Audrey's first line in the Return is that she's sick and tired of waiting by the phone. Remember all those angry tweets from Sherilyn throughout early production about how nobody had contacted her (or the "other women" in the cast) and signed them yet? Eh, maybe just a coincidence. But in Part 15, there was that whole bit where she's yelling at Charlie, something like, "Why can't you just do something for somebody else, to make somebody else happy? You're always whining, it's like dealing with a sick dog!"

It's not only that these lines reminded me of something Lynch himself may have been thinking/saying to Sherilyn, but also the placement of this particular scene in Part 15. It comes right after a series of very tender and sweet and terribly sad scenes showing the death of the Log Lady. And after handling that material so sensitively, BAM, we're back in Charlie's house and Audrey is pissing and moaning at him again. Now the editing has sometimes been unusual in several Parts but I can't shake the feeling it wasn't a complete accident. Bear in mind that during production, as Lynch was watching a dear old friend die before him, (and on camera because she felt so strongly about being included!), during that very period of time, Sherilyn was publicly going on and on about her situation with getting signed on, not getting what she wanted, and whatever else (scene count, salary, who even knows!).

Again, I don't want this to devolve into Sherilyn-bashing or reliving the pre-production/production drama around it, but I just can't help but feel like all of those real-life elements conspired in Audrey's story (or at least some of the dialogue she's been given). Am I alone in this? I know there had been people talking about the meta elements in Audrey's story this time but I guess Part 15 was when I really went, "Woah!"
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

bosguy1981 wrote:I loved this episode! A couple notes about the Gersten/Steven and Audrey/Charlie scenes in part 15:

When Steven is rambling to Gersten, when he says "I'm a high school graduate" twice, that seems to be when Gersten gets a somewhat terrified look in her eyes. Could mean anything but it had me wondering... were Steven and Becky high-school sweethearts? If so, this could add fuel to the idea that he shot and killed Becky and therefore "graduated high school." I dunno, the way Gersten trembled and the look on her face when he spoke that particular line was worrisome.

Also, Audrey and Charlie... not to minimize what could turn out to be a very interesting scenario, but I can't shake the feeling that so much of the dialogue was inspired by Lynch's (and maybe Frost's) anger at Sherilyn Fenn for her awful Twitter antics during pre-production and filming. (I don't want to re-hash all the anti-Sherilyn stuff but some of it seemed so obvious to me during Part 15, I can't help but bring it up and see if anybody else caught this drift). Audrey's first line in the Return is that she's sick and tired of waiting by the phone. Remember all those angry tweets from Sherilyn throughout early production about how nobody had contacted her (or the "other women" in the cast) and signed them yet? Eh, maybe just a coincidence. But in Part 15, there was that whole bit where she's yelling at Charlie, something like, "Why can't you just do something for somebody else, to make somebody else happy? You're always whining, it's like dealing with a sick dog!"

It's not only that these lines reminded me of something Lynch himself may have been thinking/saying to Sherilyn, but also the placement of this particular scene in Part 15. It comes right after a series of very tender and sweet and terribly sad scenes showing the death of the Log Lady. And after handling that material so sensitively, BAM, we're back in Charlie's house and Audrey is pissing and moaning at him again. Now the editing has sometimes been unusual in several Parts but I can't shake the feeling it wasn't a complete accident. Bear in mind that during production, as Lynch was watching a dear old friend die before him, (and on camera because she felt so strongly about being included!), during that very period of time, Sherilyn was publicly going on and on about her situation with getting signed on, not getting what she wanted, and whatever else (scene count, salary, who even knows!).

Again, I don't want this to devolve into Sherilyn-bashing or reliving the pre-production/production drama around it, but I just can't help but feel like all of those real-life elements conspired in Audrey's story (or at least some of the dialogue she's been given). Am I alone in this? I know there had been people talking about the meta elements in Audrey's story this time but I guess Part 15 was when I really went, "Woah!"
You're not alone. I, too, wonder how much her role/scenes shifted after it became clear they may not even be able to count on her being part of the production. It's very likely that her character's arc changed significantly. And it's also very possible her public spat colored the direction they chose to go with Audrey (not to mention logistically -- she may have forced their hands by showing up so late into the game that her scenes had to be very much self-contained due to other cast/crew/locations not being available at that point, etc.).
Last edited by cgs027 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Post by kornishpyxee »

I took the high school graduate comment literally, as in that was as far as Steven got in life, and maybe he lied to Gersten about either his age or level of education. When he applied to work at the car dealership Mike could tell he loaded his résumé.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

cgs027 wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:I loved this episode! A couple notes about the Gersten/Steven and Audrey/Charlie scenes in part 15:

You're not alone. I, too, wonder how much her role/scenes shifted after it became clear they may not even be able to count on her being part of the production. It's very likely that her character's arc changed significantly. And it's also very possible her public spat colored the direction they chose to go with Audrey (not to mention logistically -- she may have forced their hands by showing up so late into the game that her scenes had to be very much self-contained due to other cast/crew/locations not being available at that point, etc.).
I'm 100% confident that Sherliyn's antics were what precipitated her isolated and (so far) bizarre storyline... And while logistical considerations probably dictated most of what needed to change, I also think there was a personal element to it as well.

After all she did to help ensure David was at the helm for The Return, I'm truly disappointed by how she acted.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I don't know about you but I'm terrified of the woman with the key to Jeffries' room.

I feel as though Malachy Sreenan was cast as 'Bosomy Woman' for at least two reasons, which seem mutually contradictory but oh well here goes: i) pretty strong resemblance to Bonnie Aarons and ii) so they could get a weirdly-pitched deep voice to use without using dubbing.

I lean towards number ii) being of significance. Pitch-altered voices have been used before in Lynch (e.g. 'Yeah! Yeah! Pigeons spread diseases, and mess up the place; you've seen it' in WaH; also in Dune) but as an effect it leaves something to be desired. Better is to have the voice actually coming from the body in real-time for a host of reasons. So we have a male actor playing the Bosomy-Woman in order that the voice is nice and deep and gravelly-raspy. It's also recorded backwards, played forwards so we get the strange pre-echo on the hard consonants as in MJA waiting room scenes.

It's been suggested that this is Judy -- something that also occurred to me between initial watch and rewatch. Why don't you ask her yourself? You've already met Judy. These lines come soon after the woman lets DC in. It would be interesting if she was Judy.

There are other possibilities though.

In any case, 'she' is definitely one of the more unnerving characters. The costume and make-up work on gendering Sreenan was very good, because even though the scene was dark I would guess he definitely passes as female for most viewers -- it was a real surprise when I googled the actor from the credits. This is part of what made the low croaky voice so disquieting.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

kornishpyxee wrote:I took the high school graduate comment literally, as in that was as far as Steven got in life, and maybe he lied to Gersten about either his age or level of education. When he applied to work at the car dealership Mike could tell he loaded his résumé.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
That's how I read it. When he's telling Gersten he's a high school graduate, my thought was this was news to her that this is as far as he ever got in his education.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Novalis wrote:I don't know about you but I'm terrified of the woman with the key to Jeffries' room.

It's been suggested that this is Judy -- something that also occurred to me between initial watch and rewatch. Why don't you ask her yourself? You've already met Judy. These lines come soon after the woman lets DC in. It would be interesting if she was Judy.
If we were only basing our conjecture off of The Return, I'd be leaning HARD towards this character being Judy. My only problems with the idea come from trying to reconcile what little we've heard about her before with what we've now seen from the Bosomy Woman.

Will simply have to wait and see if she appears again!