Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ravingnightmare

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by ravingnightmare »

15 episodes covered, no Dale Cooper.. Let that sink in for a while.
somevelvetmorning

Post by somevelvetmorning »

So we have a woodsman that looks like he has recently been bleeding from his mouth and then we have this weird guy in the jail cell.

Just a coincidence?
Attachments
woodsmanprison.jpg
woodsmanprison.jpg (383.95 KiB) Viewed 9706 times
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Yeh, DKL has been doing absurdly upbeat wish-fulfillment endings since BV and W@H. I wouldn't read too much into it; it's part of his style.
Well, it's not that upbeat. James' fairy tale has now ended as he is involved in a potentially deadly altercation. Even if the scene is what it appears (Freddie doing the punching), then James is still in some trouble as he provoked the situation with his bizarre behavior.
I have to rewatch the scene again, but I don't think James can be charged with any crime. Sure, he's in jail as a suspect until the facts come out, but hitting on another man's wife isn't a crime, nor is standing by while your coworker punches people who threatened you. Of course, it all still might weigh on his conscience. I was thinking more about Ed & Norma when I mentioned happy endings.
Yeah, I'm pretty much hoping things are as shown too. Ed and Norma in particular, as there's nothing particularly weird about their story (Nadine's a bit weird, and that reflection was a bit weird, but not on the same level as work-mate-has-a-magic-glove weird).

Off the back of that I was also thinking it a little weird that a guy who has potentially suffered brain damage would end up a stage that has had the likes of The Nine Inch Nails on it, but perhaps that's the sort of nice charitable token thing the Roadhouse might arrange for the victim of an accident. The fact he's playing that one song from years ago possibly implies he hasn't got a vast catalogue of songs to go from - maybe it was a quiet night at the Roadhouse and they're just letting him have a moment in the lime light.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

ravingnightmare wrote:15 episodes covered, no Dale Cooper.. Let that sink in for a while.
Well, that's not true, for starters.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:Off the back of that I was also thinking it a little weird that a guy who has potentially suffered brain damage would end up a stage that has had the likes of The Nine Inch Nails on it, but perhaps that's the sort of nice charitable token thing the Roadhouse might arrange for the victim of an accident. The fact he's playing that one song from years ago possibly implies he hasn't got a vast catalogue of songs to go from - maybe it was a quiet night at the Roadhouse and they're just letting him have a moment in the lime light.
Open mic night?

It hasn't been stated explicitly that James has brain damage, just that the accident made him "quiet," although his behavior in Part 15 was pretty facepalm-inducing.

Sidebar to your sidebar: it amuses me that the Roadhouse announcer gets more absurdly enthusiastic with every appearance, while announcing local talent, Lissie (who?), and a 35-year-old jukebox selection.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

rocketsan22 wrote:I still belt out "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie and the Blowfish with regularity.

What does that say about me?
I'm not gonna talk about Hootie. In fact we're not gonna talk about Hootie at all.
WholeDamnTown

Post by WholeDamnTown »

Is anyone entertaining the idea that Naido is Judy? First of all, she looks to be East Asian ethnically speaking. This means it would fit with the Judy-Josie sisterhood thing hinted at by Robert Engels, Joan Chen and Richard Beymer's Photographs (although I think the photograph connection may have been debunked?). Secondly, the giant steaming teapot through which Phillip Jeffries communicates with Mr. C looks suspiciously like some of vintage film schooly electrical equipment that Naido lead Cooper to before he was transmitted into Dougie.. And we all know that Jeffries either knows or has strong feelings about Judy. Maybe he's been to that particular realm and has somehow returned. And lastly, if Cooper was just given coordinates to Judy by the mysterious agent at the Blue Diamond Hotel, it would make sense that he would be headed to Twin Peaks (where Naido is) considering we must be near the climax of the return with only a couple hours left. I'm sure this is all old news to some people but these are just a few clues that struck me. I really liked Part 15 a lot. I live in Philadelphia, and I can't find the FBI offices anywhere so John Thorne must be right. That scENE WAS A DREAM.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

4th wall or oops?!: Just before arriving at the Convenience Store, as Mr C is driving, he passes a small white road sign. That sign says:
"ENTERING
CITY OF
SNOQUALAMIE"

Why was this exact snippet of video chosen in the editing room? (it's at the 11:30 mark)
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (706.62 KiB) Viewed 9666 times
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

ravingnightmare wrote:15 episodes covered, no Dale Cooper.. Let that sink in for a while.
Not true: Dale Cooper showed up in Parts 1-3 (though no dialogue in Part 3).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Sidebar to your sidebar: it amuses me that the Roadhouse announcer gets more absurdly enthusiastic with every appearance, while announcing local talent, Lissie (who?), and a 35-year-old jukebox selection.
Haha -- this for sure. It's especially funny that his first appearance immediately had everyone recalling Jimmy Scott, and the whole mystery around him and his song -- and now the Roadhouse announcer has flipped things and become this comical MC. I thought the ZZ Top thing was hilarious -- maybe more fitting music-wise for a small town biker bar.

I never pictured Big Ed going to the Roadhouse at the end of the day to see Nine Inch Nails, the Veils, and the Chromatics (as much as his hairstyle would suggest otherwise). ZZ Top though? Sure.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

mtwentz wrote:
Dale Cooper has been in every single episode. And I'm not talking about the Doppelganger.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sycamore wrote:4th wall or oops?!: Just before arriving at the Convenience Store, as Mr C is driving, he passes a small white road sign. That sign says:
"ENTERING
CITY OF
SNOQUALAMIE"

Why was this exact snippet of video chosen in the editing room? (it's at the 11:30 mark)
I dunno, but I believe this same sign (or a similar one) is in the opening sequence of Episode 18 when James is riding his bike away from TP (footage which was actually shot by DKL for the Pilot).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

mtwentz wrote:
Don't forget, Cooper asks Naido where they are when he enters the mauve room in part 3. I think that's the only time he speaks during that phenomenal sequence.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

sycamore wrote:4th wall or oops?!: Just before arriving at the Convenience Store, as Mr C is driving, he passes a small white road sign. That sign says:
"ENTERING
CITY OF
SNOQUALAMIE"

Considering that you had to artificially brighten the image in order to be able to (barely) read it, I'm not sure I'd classify it as an oops.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

That said, are we supposed to know where those scenes (Evil Coop driving, the Convenience Store) are taking place in the show? Is it Washington?