Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Opinions;

Every time a Part like this comes out, it puts previous ones I felt were as dynamic and moving as the show could get to shame. Despite some misgivings I've been having with The Return as a whole piece, it consistently raises it's own bar. Big Ed and Norma's final reunion was so tonally perfect, so 50's and yet so timeless. It's strange how a lifetime of romantic torment, of push and pull, comes to a happy conclusion within the space of maybe 15 minutes. Sometimes life works that way. Things come along, people do things that suddenly re-arrange all other things. So deserved, so beautiful.

The convenience store, or above the convenience store, scenes were incredible. It was like we were traveling into the belly of the beast, and yet still not knowing it. The lighting, the pacing felt like I was sinking into something. MacLachlan's performance was really strange. Angry at not understanding, impatient. I have to admit, I was disappointed with Jeffries' reveal, if you can call it that; the bell/teapot things are intriguing and mysterious, but can that really be Jeffries? The voice was oddly unconvincing. It sounded too high in pitch, and when they cut to the dubbed Fire Walk with Me footage, it was painfully obvious it wasn't Bowie. I don't believe this is the last we will see of him, but that was all that really disappointed me about that scene.

The emotional core of The Return bared itself again, after I had worried it was too far back to see. The Log Lady's death was tasteful, and genuinely sorrowful. One of the show's most moving moments.

The overall emphasis on the woods was so welcome. The comedy was wonderful, I loved the wrong Jones family and their shrieking infant, the MC boogieing to ZZ Top. I liked how it sounded like a CD-skip every time Freddie punched. Cooper's suicide/jump-start was interesting. Clearly going to lead to some kind of epiphany. It feels as though we are not barreling up on an ending, more like it is creeping up behind us. Fast, but far away. Whether that will be good or bad I don't know.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Novalis wrote:My biggest question after this episode is this: why was Sheriff Truman sitting alone in the dark in the conference room staring at an image of a fish on his laptop screen and gently stroking the keyboard?
That's what I was thinking during my rewatch! The true mystery :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Rhiannon wrote:I am fascinated with the Woodsmen characters the Black Lodge, any thoughts why there faces are black, could it be from the "scorched engine oil"?
That's a great theory! So when Laura and Ronette freak at the smell, does that indicate they've at least encountered Woodsmen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Sengon wrote:
Esselgee wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:
I think the idea is that he followed him after witnessing him kill Ray at the Farm.

BUT: I wonder if Richard was also able to see the convenience store? Or whether DoppelCoop just vanished in front of him and then reappeared. That's a bit less clear.
I was thinking that Richard had gone to the Farm with intention of finding Cooper. If that's not the case, then what led Richard to the Farm? He just wanted to join up with a gang of criminals? How did he find out about the Farm? From Red? It's an awfully big coincidence for him to be there when DoppelCoop just happens to show up if he didn't go there looking for Cooper.
I don't think that Richard went to the Farm with the intention of finding Cooper. He had to vanish from Twin Peaks after killing the little boy, he robbed Sylvia Horne, took her money from the safe. And how could he get in the building? Note that even bad Cooper entered the Farm with the knowledge of the codes. Ray told to Renzo that he only had given Mr. C. the codes to the door. I think Richard was already in conncection with these criminals. I am convinced that it was just a big coincidence to meet bad Cooper there.
I get the impression Richard was happy to skip town and never go back to Twin Peaks, but it appears BadCoop is going to take him straight back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Hester Prynne wrote:
Esselgee wrote:
Maybe she left her cabin to Cooper and he can live the rest of his life there assuming he wakes up.
I love this idea :)
I don't know, living in a house in the woods near to the portal that claimed a quarter century of your life might make it hard to move on. Like moving in next door to your ex.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

So I'm thinking about Judy a lot... will she be the 4th Laura, I mean, is it possible? After Laura, Maddy and Doppel-Laura maybe she'll be a redhead this time? Won't happen I guess, but I would love it.

Any actresses left that did not appear so far that could play Judy?
Last edited by docLEXfisti on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

And Linda.

We still haven't seen a Linda. Only mentioned once.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Now that we know Mr. C is texting Diane, I'm viewing it as a dark modern-day parallel to the old "Diane..." tapes. Wonder if we'll ever see the tape recorder again (beyond Mr. C using a higher-tech one in the motel in Part 2).
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Now that we know Mr. C is texting Diane, I'm viewing it as a dark modern-day parallel to the old "Diane..." tapes. Wonder if we'll ever see the tape recorder again (beyond Mr. C using a higher-tech one in the motel in Part 2).
Oh I love that. One of my favourite things about Mr. C is seeing how Cooper's quirks manifest themselves in him.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

docLEXfisti wrote:So I'm thinking about Judy a lot... will she be the 4th Laura, I mean, is it possible? After Laura, Maddy and Doppel-Laura maybe she'll be a redhead this time? Won't happen I guess, but I would love it.

Far from confident, but given the terrifying emphasis placed on her during the end credits, I'm strongly suspicious of the "bosomy woman" who opened the door for Cooper. Surprised no one seems to be wondering whether she could be Judy...
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Bosomy Woman is a man, baby- that strangely could be Winkie Bum Bonnie Aaron's doppleganger Still could be Judy, I guess but Mr C's not suspicious, therefore I'm not.
Attachments
bd3992_7c81c3285cbb40e9814c10c609d92d8d.jpg_srz_882_658_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
bd3992_7c81c3285cbb40e9814c10c609d92d8d.jpg_srz_882_658_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg (155.54 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Re: Judy and Linda. Maybe one of them is Sheryl Lee's new character? And Francesca Eastwood is an actress left who has yet to air.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

opium wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
opium wrote:"Masters" are not above reproach. Besides that, I wonder if some of you would look at this the same way if Lynch's name wasn't plastered on it.
If this were some indie director then The Return would probably be considered a colossal exercise in pretension - and this is coming from someone who has enjoyed the bulk of it.
Oh please. Give me a break.
Why should I?
Because you're being condescending. A "colossal exercise in pretension." If you've enjoyed it then in what way to you consider it pretentious, assuming of course a no-name writer/director had created it? How many great authors and directors are constantly called pretentious? What does it mean? That you don't like it after all? Is it a synonym for slow-paced or unconventional? Not enough mass appeal? Maybe you mean it is not sufficiently plot-driven.

By calling something pretentious, you are claiming that others who enjoy the work are mistaken. In order for this claim to be correct, you have to back it up with something other than your personal tastes. Otherwise, just say you don't like it. So again, give me a break here.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Deep Thought wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:For the motel, does that mean that the Black Lodge is straight up a parallel universe? Who was the woman with the keys?
I see it as an outpost in the human world. Not the Black Lodge mind you - but the room above the convenience store. The convenience store itself is the human world as we know it. They are here.
I would agree. EvilCoop (or whatever we wanna call him) has been trying to avoid The Black Lodge
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Troubbble wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:So I'm thinking about Judy a lot... will she be the 4th Laura, I mean, is it possible? After Laura, Maddy and Doppel-Laura maybe she'll be a redhead this time? Won't happen I guess, but I would love it.

Far from confident, but given the terrifying emphasis placed on her during the end credits, I'm strongly suspicious of the "bosomy woman" who opened the door for Cooper. Surprised no one seems to be wondering whether she could be Judy...
I've been accused of being a glory hog around here, but I did propose this theory. It's several pages back on this thread.