Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by sewhite2000 »

Okay, here's a quote from kimmy:

- Final scene with Big Ed: for a short instant, his reflection on the window is not synchronous to his body (body still, reflection sips from cup): production goof, or relevant? A doppelganger/possessed?

Will you now say I was wrong in capital letters the same way you said not one person? Because this is one person.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Sunset boulevard DIRECT reference was great, one of my favorite movie of all time.
It was so perfect and pertinent, he was living in a illusion, like Norma did, and now Coop is (maybe) free from that illusion, that fake life she/he was living.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

claaa7 wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
I think the point of that scene was portraying the evil of those woods.
Fair enough, but I think that point has already been driven home (including in the 1st 2 seasons). Just don't see the reason for that scene to take up so much space, if that was what it was meant to accomplish -- especially with a character that we were BARELY invested in either way.
there's also the implication that he might have killed Becky, at least i felt that subtext was there both during the conversation and the omnious zooming in on the trailer where they live(d)
There is a definite implication that he has killed Becky, and then killed himself in remorse/fear. He states he's upset about what he's done to "her".

I'm hoping this isn't the case, as I don't want this much darkness and tragedy heaped on Shelly & Bobby. But its certainly what's implied.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Honestly- what was up with the horrible effects in the Todd/Roger scene?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Also from kimmy, Sun. Aug 13

- Big Ed: a lot of suffering, plays with fire/matches, eat creamed corn (?): ripe for corruption by Lodge spirits? (Episode 10: Leland quoting BOB: "You wanna play with fire, little boy?") suicidal?

Okay, doesn't say possessed but does say corruption by Lodge spirits which I think could be interpreted as the same thing.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Ross wrote: There is a definite implication that he has killed Becky, and then killed himself in remorse/fear. He states he's upset about what he's done to "her".

I'm hoping this isn't the case, as I don't want this much darkness and tragedy heaped on Shelly & Bobby. But its certainly what's implied.
Yeah I hope that the event Steven was so distraught over was not getting the job at Mike's car dealership. I'd hate to see how Becky's death would effect Shelly and Bobby. Also, that's a big character that we won't see in the somewhat unlikely Season 4, should that ever come to pass. I really would like to see more of Bobby's interactions with his daughter.

Hopefully Becky is alive and well, and maybe Steven survived his suicide attempt and will live on as Season 2 Leo 2.0.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dustoff wrote:The scene with Steven was a low point. I just cannot bring myself to give a damn about his character, so it feels like I lack the requisite sympathy for his scenes to resonate. To me they drag, and sap the energy from each episode he is in. The narrative, IMO, would benefit from his suicide, which I know sounds harsh, but... there ya go.
I don't think we are supposed to feel any sympathy for Steven. We are meant to worry for Becky. Which I did/am.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Maybe Steven was so drugged out that he killed someone else (maybe Gersten's neighbor) and thought it was Becky.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: People still seem to be anticipating that this "Sparkle" drug is going to be some huge plot point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was mentioned once back in Part 4, correct? Yes, there's definitely a general theme of kids in the town of TP being on drugs (as there was in the original as well), but I think that specific dialogue was just to set up the "dirty Chad" subplot. I really don't think there's going to be some big reveal of a specific laced drug underlying all the darkness/weird behavior....we're just seeing Trainspotting by way of David Lynch.
To be honest, the drug trade in the original was not such a huge plot point either. It popped up here and there, but ultimately kind of faded away.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rhodes wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I'm still holding out hope for at the very LEAST one surprise return. Have it be Harry or Josie, Annie, Windom Earle or Desmond in the red room in the last episode. I need at least one big unannounced cameo. Hopefully we get it!
Weren't we promised SEVERAL surprise cameo's (actors that were not on the casting list) by insiders?
No. Only speculation. Not even people VERY much in the know have any idea.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Audrey Horne wrote:
So if we take the edited reflection as intentional, what are we to infer? Since Lynch is treating this as an eighteen hour film, and in that regards one wouldn't have the ability to stop the film and rewind in his ideal scenario. Is this an Easter egg that Lynch and Frost would point out after the fact to the plot?

Are they suggesting something down the line with Ed, who hasn't had any weight to the story fourteen hours in? Or that it signifies doppelgängers existing in all of us that will be an emerging and end plot point? Or will it be representative of something Engels mentioned years ago about certain time frames coexisting minutes or seconds apart that was touched upon briefly in FWWM between Cooper and Jeffries
Whatever the trick done with Ed, I fully agree it is not meant to be noticed, but possibly slightly subconsciously registered to encompass the series's themes.

To me, personally, I think it will just amount to a detail people years from now will say, "what was that all about?!"

Here's another poster suggesting the moving reflection might mean dopplegangers exist inside all of us, implying possession. So, I found three posts that suggest possession in fewer than five minutes yet you scream in capital letters that not one person said it. Clearly, you are wrong.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jacob wrote:Then in Part 3, we don't see her, but we hear her and we talk ABOUT her ("my mother is coming") ! We understand that, like on Part 1, she's trying to find an "access" and is chasing Naido ! Again, she's at the center of the Purple World scene, she's creating all the tension.
I think that's debatable. It's a brief mention and it's not til Part 8 that we're connecting any dots.
Oh come on ! That's not a brief mention, that's THE mention of the scene, about someone who won't stop BANGING at the door ! It's not brief, it's something omnipresent from the beginning to the end of the scene. She's EVERYWHERE.
And frankly you don't have to wait Part 8 to connect the dot. In Part 1, you have a creature who's BANGING at the glass cage, is threatening and wants to COME OUT. In Part 3, you have, again, something BANGING at the door and who is, again, threatening people. To me it was obvious from the get go.
I mean, if you think Lynch really wanted to use the same footage from Part 8 in Part 14 to show to Andy what's chasing Naido, fine. But don't act like the character is not an antagonist on the show. Anyway, enough about MOTHER. We will see her soon enough trying to cross the vortex :twisted:
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

sewhite2000 wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote: (Also, I hope this ends speculation that Ed is possessed because his reflection moved by itself for a fraction of a second)
JFC!!!!! Not one single person on here said Big Ed was possessed. NOT ONE. We talked about strange things happening to everyone in Twin Peaks and it showing up in things like strange hums at the Great Northern, rashy tweakers at the Roadhouse, gunshots from a minivan, portals in the woods, and, yes, a reflection doing something it shouldn't. Simple as that.

I am not sure why you feel the need to be so right about something and continually bring up that we were all wrong but please stop. This board is a place to discuss ideas and theories. None of us know what is going to happen from week to week. I saw what I saw (as did many others) and I believe it was there to add to the list of things showing us that something is very wrong in Twin Peaks.
Actually, you're wrong. A number of people said he was possessed . Go look it up.
..I agree, sewhite..and I still say the whole "glitch in the reflection" was nothing, just a bunch of uber-fans making mountains (twin peaks) out of molehills by overanalyzing everything/anything
Last edited by Electric Tree on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm assuming Steven shot Becky, but I'm hoping that she has survived, a la Miriam.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

What if Bad Cooper is the real Cooper?