Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Hey, I know the 'Severely Disappointed' group is going to complain about ZZ Top being played at the Roadhouse, so we might as well get it off our chests on this thread...
Why would specifically disappointed people complain about that? Sorry, I don't get the connection between the disappointed group and a random Roadhouse band and your comment seemed to me like you were just trying to find something to make fun of the disappointed group. :?:
I would characterize it as 'gentle ribbing' :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jacob wrote:On Part 14, Lynch used footage of Part 1 + Part 8 in order to show her to Andy and make him understand she's a threat to Naido. Honestly, it seems like a budget issue.
I disagree. I think you're applying the narrative framework you envisioned from those parts in your head to the ongoing story, in the style of a more traditional genre show. But the Mother is really not a constant topic in the first half of the series. We see her briefly in the opening, then again briefly in part 8.

I think it's quite possible the Mother will reappear and be a major force, but I don't think she was held back because of budget. It was done because Lynch felt like not tipping his hand and is not running a show similar to others.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LostInTheMovies wrote:My response to Part 15 is up: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... -some.html. I kinda suspect Cooper is not gonna be revived with his full faculties. Being comatose in a hospital bed might work though, as it elegantly skirts the question of "will seeing his old colleagues wake him up?" and still allows the Chantal/Hutch situation to play out.
A great essay as always, although you're wildly wrong on the fantastic Ed/Norma reunion and the police have already been called to take you away.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

LostInTheMovies wrote:My response to Part 15 is up: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... -some.html. I kinda suspect Cooper is not gonna be revived with his full faculties. Being comatose in a hospital bed might work though, as it elegantly skirts the question of "will seeing his old colleagues wake him up?" and still allows the Chantal/Hutch situation to play out.
Great stuff! (Although you presumably meant to write that Catherine Coulson died a few weeks after her scenes were filmed, not before -- her appearance would be otherwise even more extraordinary than it already is! Unless I'm misreading this altogether?)

I agree that we won't necessarily see Good Coop immediately, though this is just a hunch.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

dustoff wrote:
Great stuff! (Although you presumably meant to write that Catherine Coulson died a few weeks after her scenes were filmed, not before -- her appearance would be otherwise even more extraordinary than it already is! Unless I'm misreading this altogether?)
Whoops, thanks, fixed.

Also...haha, I knew some people would strongly disagree on Ed/Norma. I *want* to like it and maybe, knowing what to expect, I'll enjoy it more on a repeat viewing. But for now it missed the mark for me.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jacob wrote:On Part 14, Lynch used footage of Part 1 + Part 8 in order to show her to Andy and make him understand she's a threat to Naido. Honestly, it seems like a budget issue.
I disagree. I think you're applying the narrative framework you envisioned from those parts in your head to the ongoing story, in the style of a more traditional genre show. But the Mother is really not a constant topic in the first half of the series. We see her briefly in the opening, then again briefly in part 8.

I think it's quite possible the Mother will reappear and be a major force, but I don't think she was held back because of budget. It was done because Lynch felt like not tipping his hand and is not running a show similar to others.
First, even if we see her only "briefly" in Part 1, she's the main reason for all the glass cage scenes to exist. All the momentum is building toward her apparition.
Then in Part 3, we don't see her, but we hear her and we talk ABOUT her ("my mother is coming") ! We understand that, like on Part 1, she's trying to find an "access" and is chasing Naido ! Again, she's at the center of the Purple World scene, she's creating all the tension.
After that, obviously there's Part 8, but also the scene where Gordon Cole & Albert are watching her picture : "what the hell ?!". She's a topic...

And in Part 14, so during the "ongoing story", she remains an invisible threat, since Andy understands Mother is chasing Naido and he has to protect her from Mother. She's an antagonist and I'm sure she'll be clearly evoked on the final parts.
And I'm not saying she was "held back". I say that there's a lot of moments where we see her (so that's not speculation from my part) but only through old rehash material (through the eyes of Gordon, Albert, Andy and the giant).
NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
NewShoes wrote:Quick delurk. So happy to finally have the Mt. Si Motel scene out where we can understand it and talk about it.

Short notes clarifying what I saw on the night:
* the setpiece with the door and wallpaper - photos of this are now finally surfacing
* 3 figures in black approaching room 8 - this would be Evil Coop and two woodsmen. My mistake was thinking the two black-clad figures off to either side were some sort of crewmember and were out of the shot. They were in the shot.
* the man dressed as a woman, filmed walking backwards. We totally spotted that it was a man from body language.
* they did arrive quite late (after midnight) and wrapped early morning
* I heard David say "Kale" into the megaphone at least once
* they came directly from Convenience Store shoot in Olallie area - most likely the scenes we saw tonight
* Kyle's presence in Olallie that day was leaked by facebook photo from Harley motorcycle owner in now-deleted post, wish I could find a capture of it
Just because this stuff fascinates me....you mentioned at the time "one other person" in the scene whose "appearance and behavior set off a lot of speculation." Was this the man-as-"bosomy woman," or something else?

Chankonabe at the time mentioned that the production shot late this day with Horse and Goaz in Olallie due to some funny/unexpected improvisations, causing them to miss the "final shot" of the motel shoot due to bad weather. The same poster claimed they didn't "completely" get the scene, but got the "most important part." Do you know anything about what might have been missed?
Yes, the speculation among onlookers was about the "bosomy woman". Some people suspected Bonnie Aarons, but I have always believed it was a man - which was proven true.

That's an interesting theory, butI've never heard Chankonabe's story. And it seems strange to me. I've also never heard about a final shot of the motel being missed (though there was a visual effect used that we haven't seen yet/maybe won't see). Certainly the Sarah Palmer grocery scene in Fall City scheduled for that night was scrapped. We know the Convenience Store structure was still being used that day. And conservation of actors/makeup/costuming would suggest you outfit BadCoop and the woodsmen and then film both locations while you have everyone ready to go. Also, as I have mentioned there was confirmation of Kyle's presence in Olallie that day.
Drammatubero

Post by Drammatubero »

Audrey wants to leave but she can't for unknown reasons. It reminds me of Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Exceptional episode! Felt quite emotional during the final Log Lady scene. Going ahead with filming really shows Catherine Coulsen's strength of character.

The talk of the one in Blue Pine Lodge... wasn't that the Martell's place? I couldn't help but wonder if that's where Audrey is now...

Little bit of Roadhouse trivia... the video to the ZZ Top track featured Galyn Gorg, aka Nancy O'Reilly from the original run.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jacob wrote:First, even if we see her only "briefly" in Part 1, she's the main reason for all the glass cage scenes to exist. All the momentum is building toward her apparition.
No, the other big reason is finding Cooper in there, as we do.
Then in Part 3, we don't see her, but we hear her and we talk ABOUT her ("my mother is coming") ! We understand that, like on Part 1, she's trying to find an "access" and is chasing Naido ! Again, she's at the center of the Purple World scene, she's creating all the tension.
I think that's debatable. It's a brief mention and it's not til Part 8 that we're connecting any dots.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Re; the Judy is Garland Briggs theory mentioned earlier in the thread... the Missing Pieces mention a young lady leaving a letter for Jeffries, but I don't think it's made explicit that the young lady was Judy, so wouldn't necessarily contradict the theory. In Season 2, when a doped up Major Briggs returns to Twin Peaks, I'm sure he says 'Judy Garland?' in response to hearing his name.
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Fantastic episode. It is starting to wrap up a bit. Norma/Ed was such a beautiful mixture of hope to despair to pure joy. So, I get from all the craziness of the motel is someone else has been reaching out to evil Coop. Who? Its not Cole or Major Briggs or even Jefferies. So, who called him to tell him he won't get away with it? It didn't sound like a Judy on the phone. Richard and Cooper together will not be fun for some random person. Don't care about the drugged out kids. Moving on. Finally, it appears Cooper is going to be Cooper again with three hours left to go. Ridiculous. So, Charlie is not Charlie, is he? Is Audrey finally waking up with that bit of a reveal. I hope so, because this is driving me nuts.

The Log lady is dead. That was fucking brutal. I loved the memorial for her at the end credits like they did with Bowie last week. It was a nice touch. I do hope we get a season 4, but odds are slim to none. We only have three more hours, lets hope we get the fuck out of Vegas next week to finally get Dale back to Twin Peaks for at least two hours of television.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Really it feels like there could be 15 more episodes and they wouldn't be any closer to wrapping things up. I don't know how they can do it in 3 hours.

It would have been nice to see the Log Lady on screen with another character. They could have had Michael Horse go to wherever they filmed her scenes to have Hawk check in on her. I'm guessing they filmed at Catherine's actual apartment or house.

Maybe she left her cabin to Cooper and he can live the rest of his life there assuming he wakes up.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm comfortable leaving the Lodge spirit characters shrouded in a degree of mystery, but just to attempt to rationalize their existence for a moment: Could the Convenience Store be like a neutral territory among the entities, their Mt. Olympus where they gather to debate the fates of mortals? Much like Poseidon and Hades had their own domains of the sea and the underworld, MIKE/The Arm could rule the Red Room, The Giant/Fireman sees over the White Lodge, etc. The Woodsmen have something in South Dakota that we haven't fully discovered, and the Tremonds and the Jumping Man have their own locales as well. Maybe The Experiment is one of the older spirits, akin to the Titans which birthed Zeus and his siblings.

Part of the imbalance of the spirit world in The Return could have to do with the Woodsmen taking over the Convenience Store and potentially stealing BOB from MIKE. Surely Jeffries presence is a de-stabilizing force as well.

And just like the squabbling amongst ancient deities, perhaps the warring between the various Lodges isn't as much of a battle between dualistic notions of good and evil as it is merely a contest to see who can gain the most influence.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Taperecorder wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote: (Also, I hope this ends speculation that Ed is possessed because his reflection moved by itself for a fraction of a second)
JFC!!!!! Not one single person on here said Big Ed was possessed. NOT ONE. We talked about strange things happening to everyone in Twin Peaks and it showing up in things like strange hums at the Great Northern, rashy tweakers at the Roadhouse, gunshots from a minivan, portals in the woods, and, yes, a reflection doing something it shouldn't. Simple as that.

I am not sure why you feel the need to be so right about something and continually bring up that we were all wrong but please stop. This board is a place to discuss ideas and theories. None of us know what is going to happen from week to week. I saw what I saw (as did many others) and I believe it was there to add to the list of things showing us that something is very wrong in Twin Peaks.
Actually, you're wrong. A number of people said he was possessed . Go look it up.