Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

sewhite2000 wrote:It's going to be an uneasy week for me, wondering if just MAYBE Cooper killed himself? About 99 per cent sure Lynch and Frost wouldn't do this to fans, and as someone on here said, it would certainly lend credence to the "Lynch is trolling the fans" theory if this is how he chose to bring an end to the character. Up to now, Mike/Gerard/The One-Armed Man has been there to help prevent DougieCoop from dying. He would really be shirking his duties to allow him to die under such stupid circumstances. But I need to see Cooper alive, even if he's STILL stuck in Dougie mode, before I'm completely at ease. Of course, even if he is alive, presumably he's the second target Chantal and Hutch are getting ready to go after ...
remember that Cooper materialized through that socket in episode 3 from thin air and Dougie Jones de-materialized at the same time.. it's possible that Cooper will just vanish from Las Vegas all together and we'll next see Janey-E screaming at an empty room once the Electric lightning clears. perhaps then we'll find Cooper back in the metaphysical world (the lodges, the waiting room, the Mauve room) being led out of there by Gerard, perhaps then being found at Jack Rabbit's Palace by the Twin Peaks gang like another poster suggested.

one thing i'm 99% sure of is that we won't see Cooper in his Dougie state again.. this was obviously not a tease and i'm not sure how anyone could read it as that. this was one of the biggest moments of the series so far, my heart was definitely racing. plus we have seen trailer material that indicates he still has things to do and accomplish :)
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

i kind of feel the opposite after tonights episode, with the speed we are going in now and as most of the plot strands are starting to come together i no longer have any doubts that the time left is perfectly sufficient to tell the rest of the story.. of course, i am sure a lot of stuff won't be answered, probably way more than in the original TP
if every plotline resolves like they did, then we will have a lot more people just shot to end their story.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Thought this episode was... ok. Started out great, and featured some wonderful moments, but lost its momentum and kinda petered out.

I enjoyed it, as I have the entire run, but not as much as others here.

The scene with Steven was a low point. I just cannot bring myself to give a damn about his character, so it feels like I lack the requisite sympathy for his scenes to resonate. To me they drag, and sap the energy from each episode he is in. The narrative, IMO, would benefit from his suicide, which I know sounds harsh, but... there ya go.

Worth noting, maybe, that the line from Sunset Boulevard to which Coop responds isn't just "Gordon Cole," it's "GET Gordon Cole." If that line motivates his sticking the fork in the outlet, it stands to reason that the action will advance the plot, or the development of his character, in a major way. Still wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Coop for another episode, though. (Or even if the electrocution fails to suddenly bring back Good Coop.)

Agree with those who say that Freddy seems destined to help with some sort of jailbreak.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:...
Finally I thought that scene was going to end up as a deleted scene. When I saw the footage of this being filmed I thought she was going to hit him with the shovel. I also thought Norma was in the car re-fuelling. :roll: That and the next one at the Diner were wonderful scenes.

Mr texted "Las Vegas". Does this confirm that Diane is communicating with him?
It also confirms that the non-chronological scenes have always been placed knowingly...
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

The circle of light when Philip Jeffires is "active" looks a lot like the circle in the opening credits, before Laura appears.
metrojoe82
Roadhouse Member

Post by metrojoe82 »

I'm hoping we get more Gersten and a reference to where Donna is. Perhaps Donna died and that led to Gersten's drug use?

Has anyone made a list of things we probably won't follow up on/get resolution to?

The ones that come to mind are Ashley Judd's character and her sick husband; Truman's caustic wife; anything further with Candie and the mobsters; Jerry Horne stoned in the woods...
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Fantastic episode I am totally in awe. So hoping this was NOT a tease with Coop he has GOT to wake up now! As for Mr. C and those scenes with he Lodge spirits, brilliance. Just as well he wrote down the numbers Jefferies gave him. What do they mean? I think the proof he is getting frustrated is he does not know who Judy is, unlike real Dale who seems to get that in FWWM. And finally clarification Richard is Audrey's son. Big Ed and Norma scene had me in tears of joy, about time. :)
The Angels will return...
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

There were some great parts but some things felt too clunky: Ed/Nadine; Richard Horne just appearing when Mr C leaves the convenience store, the James dialogue. Those were just bad.

The James scene seemed to serve a plot device of having the green gloved guy to be near Naido for when trouble goes down.

Audrey's scene - annoying this time as it did not progress any further than the previous two.

Liked to the Ed/Norma scene, convenience store but still super confused by what is going on with Phillip Jeffries/Judy.

Gershin/druggie boy - they have given me no reason to care about either. The scene did not make sense and just seems another snapshot/haphazard moment with no context.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Troubbble wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:...
Finally I thought that scene was going to end up as a deleted scene. When I saw the footage of this being filmed I thought she was going to hit him with the shovel. I also thought Norma was in the car re-fuelling. :roll: That and the next one at the Diner were wonderful scenes.

Mr texted "Las Vegas". Does this confirm that Diane is communicating with him?
It also confirms that the non-chronological scenes have always been placed knowingly...
The only thing I thought of on rewatch was that it could be a text to Chantal following up on the double header, but a little vague for that maybe? I tend to think it was to Diane, or someone that sent it on the Diane.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Loved this episode. The sound especially was absolutely phenomenal. Freddy is already growing on me, and I actually loved the cheesey effects that were similar to when Dougiecoop gave Ike the Spike a twatting earlier in the series.

Favourite parts were Ed, Norma & Nadine, above the convenience store, and against the run of this thread I actually loved the Steven & Gersten scene. It just oozed paranoia, misery, and had a real eerie undertone to the whole thing. The cinematography was beautiful, when it panned out to show them far centre, and when Gersten was looking up. For me when watching, the dialogue was complete non-sequitur and I didn't care that I couldn't hear them. The previously posted transcript didn't enlighten me any further anyway!

All in all a great episode. Certainly in the top 3 for me so far.
metrojoe82 wrote: Has anyone made a list of things we probably won't follow up on/get resolution to?
There's a thread for that right here. :D

http://dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3712
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

People in general love to focus on the negative, I've noticed 'My glass was 20% empty dammit!'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

I am always a bit surprised that The Log Lady seems to be the most popular character of Twin Peaks.

There is absolutely NO-ONE that ever says anything besides her scenes being epic/heartbreaking/etc. I get that she is a typical Twin Peaks character, but actually I've always found her material not particularly interesting.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:After that scene with Richard and Mr C, I don't believe that Audrey has been in a coma since the bank blast. I cant see the Hornes leaving a photo of Cooper with Audrey if she was in a coma all this time. She must have been a mother to Richard for a while for Richard to see that photo and remember it like he did. Is it possible that Audrey recovered from the bank blast and sometime later something happened to her, such as an accident?

As brutal as they are Chantal and Hutch make me laugh, "there is always junk food in the air".... :)
If Audrey has been in a coma maybe since the blast, I kind of understand why Richard was raised by his grandparents. It would also explain Ben having done his best but can do no more.

Also, Richard recognises Coop from a photograph and how Richard knew that Coop was an FBI man. I think it is showing us a timeframe. Also it's not unknown for people in a coma to be given things or images in the hope of waking them up - perhaps Ben knew how much Coop meant to Audrey and as such, Richard grew up with a picture of Coop next to the hospital bed as he was visiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

I am still trying to figure out how Booper sent the "Las Vegas" message now, when we have seen Diane receiving it 2 episodes ago... or was it texted to Hutch and Chantal?
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

madeleineferguson wrote:What if all of these Roadhouse scenes introducing new characters are actually building towards something? Like, a second season? By now, it seems clear that there's not enough screen time left to even touch on all of these new characters we've met at the Roadhouse, let alone explain their stories. So why create all these characters, these loose ends, without any intention of examining them again?
I think it would be great to leave open ends on some random characters. It just would show how the whole world is a place for the conflict of love and fear and this TV series is just about the story & characters we've all become familiar with.

There is no solution or explanation required to the lodges and all as they go beyond the story. They've been around forever, like in the stories of Indians and the cave paintings etc. It's like a depiction of Christian heaven and hell. Love and fear.

"The mind is it's own place and within it it can create a heaven out of hell and hell out of heaven" -John Milton, Paradise Lost

ps. Sometimes I feel like they're doing a documentary around a fictional story. Beautiful.