Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by sewhite2000 »

dud wrote:something pretty notable i think is that, with the log lady's death, the scene in the first or second episode with hawk walking through the woods at night talking on the phone with the log lady can no longer be a flash forward like a lot of us assumed. now we have three characters who go on mysterious outings and make no reference to them afterwards (hawk in woods, james in the boiler room, andy in the white lodge)
THANK YOU!!! :D
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

I think Dale is back, but knowing Lynch we won't end up seeing him for 2 whole episodes anyway

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Brilliant episode. First things first, if it turns out that Cooper just electrocuted himself to death, we all owe the "Lynch is trolling the audience" crowd an apology :P

I wasn't prepared for how much the Log Lady scene would upset me, I nearly had to take a break there. Ed and Norma pulled on the old heartstrings too, though feel very sorry for Nadine, even if she has shovelled her way out of the shit.

Loved the convenience store scenes, but again left thinking of what could have been if only they'd recast Jeffries. It's probably been confirmed already, but the numbers he spelled out were the Twin Peaks co-ordinates that were on Davenport's arm.

Looks like young Freddie's destiny might be to break Naido out her cell when it hits the fan.
Esselgee wrote:I always thought that Ed and Nadine's house was right next to the Gas Farm on the old show. Am I wrong about that?
Yeah, thought so too.
Esselgee wrote:Have we seen the woman who unlocked the door for Doppel Coop before? What was her credit?
"Bosomy Woman" :shock:
P.S. That was her at the end of the credits too
Esselgee wrote:I hope that if I talk to someone on the phone right before I die that it's someone who can carry a compassionate conversation better than Hawk.
Hah, too right.
Voltaire wrote: So I think Judy is Garland Briggs. He's met Cooper before and maybe that was a code name they had for him. Judy Garland.
Would be pretty funny to turn the S2 Judy Garland joke into a major plot point
Jasper wrote: Hmmm. I don't know if that's the implication, but I like the theory. I was wondering why James suddenly went so completely idiotic, to an extent that seemed beyond that of the normal idiocy that we can all experience when we see someone special.
He's not been the same since he had that motorcycle accident... but of course, he's always been cool
Esselgee wrote: So what "family" was Norma talking about? I thought for a second she was going to mention having a sister. Did she just mean the "family" of her diner employees and customers?
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that. But she probably was thinking of Big Ed already.
RainingPostToasties wrote:...strongly suggests that the Jumping Man now inhabits Sarah. Then it's not the Mother as was almost unanimously believed?
I can promise you that certainly wasn't unanimously believed.
rocketsan22 wrote:Was anyone else expecting Ed to lose his sh!t and go haywire at the diner?
I thought we were heading for get a classic tragedy- Ed killing himself before Norma had a chance to speak her mind.

thedarktrees wrote:The convenience store stuff (the "Dutchman's" as reference by Ray, to be clear?)
I didn't think it's entirely clear. The convenience store could be known as the dutchman's, or it could just be a place the doppelgänger went to communicate with Jeffries (far away, at the dutchman's).
thedarktrees wrote: For me, one of the biggest twists from this part is confirmation that DoppelCoop's mystery call from way back in the earlier episodes was NOT in fact Jeffries. So now this is presented to us as a big fat mystery waiting to be revealed. The convo between DoppelCoop and Jeffries MAYBE hints that it maybe wasn't Jeffires who sent Ray to killed DoppelCoop? I'm not clear on what exactly was being conveyed with that.

Someone is playing DoppelCoop..... Whom and how? This is getting really good....
Definitely... and Jeffries seemed to know a lot less than I expected him to. Though curious that he would give the doppelgänger the co-ordinates.
garethw wrote:
Voltaire wrote: Another cock tease ...

It was a cock tease...
I'm perplexed by the use of "cock tease", when "tease" would quite adequately, and rather more accurately, sum up what you seem to be saying.
I was going to comment on that too. Horrible analogy
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Rik Renault wrote:I think Dale is back, but knowing Lynch we won't end up seeing him for 2 whole episodes anyway Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I loved that scene. It was such an old-school TV cliffhanger. "Tune in next week to see if..."
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

fluorescent light wrote:Here's the ridiculous dialogue from the subtitles from Steven/Gershen
Spoiler:
G: Why?
S: there is no why. I did do it.
G: no, she did it. She did it.
S: i can't. No. I did it.
G: No, Steven. Steven, stop it.You didn't do anything, ok? You were fucking stoned. What the fuck did she give you? Give me the gun, okay?
S: mm-mm. Are you gonna come up with me?
G: No. No, and you're not going either.
S: Look at me. I'm a high school graduate. I'm a high school graduate.
G: oh, fuck....
S: you see this, yeah?
G: No. No. Stop it, don't do it.
S: I'm gonna get this thing in.
G: What? No - don't, no.
S: I'm gonna put this thing here...
G: No, no.
S: Right through here
G: No, Steven. No
S: It's gonna end it.
G: No.
S: and when i - when i see you come up but...but... i may not even see you there, I mean...i mean...i mean gone. Where will i be? Will i be with the rhinoceros? The lightning in the bottle, hm? Please.
G: It's okay. It's okay, okay.
S: Or will i becompletely all like- like- turquoise? Hm? I feel something. Fuck. Or. Fuck. This is the end. I got a duty to do. Do whatever- whatever you want. I liked fucking you. Did i tell you? I liked it a lot. I liked to get down and fight with you and fuck. Just so you know. That i liked your c***. Like, sometimes, it's so amazing. You're making me cry. Stop it, c***.
Can't help but think of the guy with the "dick like a rhinoceros" Sue talks about in INLAND EMPIRE. The guy who was from a weird polluted town where a girl had a vision of the end of the world.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Loved tonights episode.

Only complaint about the convenient store is they could have gotten a few familiar faces to be in there... I get that these woodsman are like the new lodge spirits but they could've recast Mrs. Tremond and her grandson I mean they recast him for the movie could've done it again and it would have made the scene come more full circle.

I'm still holding out hope for at the very LEAST one surprise return. Have it be Harry or Josie, Annie, Windom Earle or Desmond in the red room in the last episode. I need at least one big unannounced cameo. Hopefully we get it!

The woman screaming in the end threw me for a loop. I'd like to think there's a reason for all these weird random characters at the end of each episode there but as of right now I'm speechless..

Kind of bummed we didn't find out what James did about the boiler room noise we've been hearing. Now that he's locked up and as another user mentioned I believe him and Freddy are meant to be there with Nadio. Sort of like all the characters having to be at the road house for Cooper to discover the killer. We likely won't see James go back to that boiler room meaning who knows if we'll find out what's going on down there. My original hope and prediction that it was Josie is pretty much gone now. I believe it's something to do with Laura.

Teared up ever so slightly twice today. Once with Big Ed and Norma (Great use of the king of soul Otis Redding by the way) and then obviously with the Log Lady goodbye. Beautifully done.

I hope maybe after Audrey wakes up or at the very least has a scene outside of this loop we get a Pete Martell mention. Lynch has honored pretty much every other actor that was one of his favorites that died so far besides Jack with Pete. Would be a nice touch.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Esselgee wrote:Janey-E is not a good wife. She didn't Dougie-proof all the electrical sockets in her house. She should know better since her husband has had the IQ of 2 year old for awhile now.
:lol:
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
The woman screaming in the end threw me for a loop. I'd like to think there's a reason for all these weird random characters at the end of each episode there but as of right now I'm speechless..
Yeah, I was thinking it's a matter of time before someone edits together a "Roadhouse end scene" compilation on YouTube.

Speaking of which, my friend pointed out the girl in tonight's scene was crawling on all fours like Coop was. I think it was mentioned in this thread and elsewhere on Dugpa before, but the Roadhouse scenes likely mimic what's going on elsewhere, or have some supernatural/Lodge connection right? There sure were a lot of strobes/flickering lights at the end of tonight's gig.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Esselgee wrote:I always thought that Ed and Nadine's house was right next to the Gas Farm on the old show. Am I wrong about that?
The gas station is in a different location now. Ed moved.
Esselgee wrote:I thought Cyril Pons was a big time new reporter. What is he doing living at a trailer park?
We don't know if Cyril actually lives there. He could know Steven from town or maybe he's a friend of his parents.
Esselgee wrote:So Jeffries just spends his time in a giant teapot now?
Meet the Jeffries evolution.
Esselgee wrote:So Charlene Yi must have been waiting for Wally Brando, right?
Yeah, I thought Wally was gonna show up, start his Brando impersonification or whatever and kill the thugs out of boredom.
Esselgee wrote:Have we seen the woman who unlocked the door for Doppel Coop before? What was her credit?
I think that's a man dressed as a woman. Not sure but I believe that's Malachy Sreenan, credited as 'Bosomy Woman' (nice touch, lol).
Esselgee wrote:Have we seen a No Smoking sign at the roadhouse any other time than the Richard Horne scene?
Not sure.
Esselgee wrote:I hope that if I talk to someone on the phone right before I die that it's someone who can carry a compassionate conversation better than Hawk.
Agreed, her speech was so moving and Hawk was incredibly flat.
Esselgee wrote:It was cool to see another scene with Bobby and James in the jail cells. I wish they would have had some dialog with each other though.
When you least expect it...
Esselgee wrote:I doubt if Audrey has been in a coma all this time that Richard would have seen a photo of Agent Cooper that she had. Also, how would she have had gotten a photo of Cooper any time before the bank explosion?
Yep. Audrey is batshit crazy and Charlie is her husband or doctor. Period.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
The gas station is in a different location now. Ed moved.
Was this covered in Frost's book or just conjecture?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Okay, I had to read through all 14 pages to see if anyone else had this thought, but nobody else has said it. My thought was that Judy is the woman with the keys, which would make it ironic when Jeffries tells Evil Coop he's already met Judy, boy, he means he's JUST met her!

Now, I'm sure someone will say, "No, you idiot, she's credited as Bosomy Woman, not as Judy!", and I would reply to this imaginary person who just called me an idiot, "Yeah, well, I think the guy in jail is Billy, even though he's credited as Drunk! It's possible they might actually be trying to preserve a little mystery in the credits!" (Although scary guy at the Roadhouse got credited as Richard Horne about four episodes before his name was ever said aloud within the show. I wasn't crazy about that particular bombshell being revealed in that particular way ...)
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

A brilliant episode, my favourite aside from Part 8 so far. The Jumping Man was the stand out imagery for me - terrifying.

Death permeated this episode - not only the death of the Log Lady but the thought of her filming those scenes with such ill health herself. And the realisation that Bowie was clearly such a big part of the story and meant to triumphantly return in this part but death took him too soon.

It's insane that we have 3 parts to give conclusions to so much. I honestly have no idea how they're going to do it.

I find it strange that, given Lynch recently described season 2 (likely meaning post ep14 season 2) as 'stupid', he would write a storyline as dumb and awful (so far) as a man with a super strength green glove. Nadine's superpower looks positively subtle and organic film making by comparison. I wonder if it's a comment on that story line somehow? But it really doesn't seem to. Only thing I've really disliked about the last two parts.

We only have two more weeks of Twin Peaks. That is heart breaking. Please let it end wonderfully.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

This show is pure art and I'm really gonna need about 10 more next year.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So is Mike now free to get back with Nadine? Actually, I think Mike was wearing a wedding ring, but I'm sure his wife can't compare to Nadine.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I'm starting to think that James's "Just You" Roadhouse performance to a crying Renee was all in his head.