Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Esselgee wrote:How did Will and Eileen Hayward end up with a daughter who turned out like Gersten?
She certainly saw her older sister go through some pretty crazy stuff, even if she wasn't directly involved in it. And I'm sure that the aftermath of the revelation about Ben and Will assaulting him was tough on all of the Haywards.

I suppose one thing that's been consistent but sometimes brutally bleak about this series is how things really haven't worked out too well for many of the town's residents. In the original series, Twin Peaks was an oddly endearing town despite its dark side, between the good intentions of many of the characters and some of the more benign weirdness. And even for the characters who were going through some rough times, there was reason to hope that things might get better for them. Now it just seems like a grim, depressing place full of broken, confused, and angry people. The crude truck driver harassing Sarah Palmer, Richard's behavior at the Roadhouse, Becky and Steven fighting right within Carl's earshot, the way the two guys literally just pulled that girl out of her seat - that's the kind of stuff that happened more behind closed doors in the original series.

The only town-based characters who really seem OK with their stations in life are the ones whose own eccentricities probably shield them, for better or worse, from being too deeply affected by what's happening around them - Andy, Lucy, Nadine, and maybe in his own way Jacoby - and perhaps Hawk, about whom it's hard to tell just because he's so stoic.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Taperecorder wrote:
Deep Thought wrote: It was so perfect. What do you say to someone who is dying, or to someone who has lost a loved one? NOTHING. Words are idiotic at that point.
Exactly! Hawk was perfect. That scene was absolutely stunning. I don't think I took a breath during the whole thing.
I was a little bothered by Hawk not saying anything at first, though then I thought perhaps he and Margaret understand each other well enough for him to know that she just wants him to listen and doesn't expect him to say anything in particular.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Is the FWWM area dopplecoop walked through possibly the black lodge? It's been there the whole time? As he walked it showed the red curtains then jumping man...
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

The Steven scene is truley amazing. Those who think it is filler, or what not, are dead to me. I cannot see clearly from the friends I have lost. Sorry. There is no one like Lynch on TV, Steven has got this old man in tears.
Last edited by Deep Thought on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

frompureair wrote:Is the FWWM area dopplecoop walked through possibly the black lodge? It's been there the whole time? As he walked it showed the red curtains then jumping man...
Yeah I was also wondering about this. What exactly is the Black Lodge? Are some of the Red Rooms part of the Black Lodge? Same with the Purple Zone and the Convenient Store? Or are they something altogether different?
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Please no GOT related spoilers in this thread!

It's a good thing that DoppelCoop is the kind of guy that carries around a pad and pen.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Esselgee wrote:Please no GOT related spoilers in this thread!

It's a good thing that DoppelCoop is the kind of guy that carries around a pad and pen.
Sorry about GOT, and I lol'd at the pad and pen too! (removed the GOT spoiler).
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

That line from Jeffries has got me nervous..."you ARE Cooper" :? Also remember the Jeffries who called him said he wanted to be with Bob again!
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

frompureair wrote:That line from Jeffries has got me nervous..."you ARE Cooper" :? Also remember the Jeffries who called him said he wanted to be with Bob again!
He is Cooper, no doubt.
fluorescent light

Post by fluorescent light »

Here's the ridiculous dialogue from the subtitles from Steven/Gershen
Spoiler:
G: Why?
S: there is no why. I did do it.
G: no, she did it. She did it.
S: i can't. No. I did it.
G: No, Steven. Steven, stop it.You didn't do anything, ok? You were fucking stoned. What the fuck did she give you? Give me the gun, okay?
S: mm-mm. Are you gonna come up with me?
G: No. No, and you're not going either.
S: Look at me. I'm a high school graduate. I'm a high school graduate.
G: oh, fuck....
S: you see this, yeah?
G: No. No. Stop it, don't do it.
S: I'm gonna get this thing in.
G: What? No - don't, no.
S: I'm gonna put this thing here...
G: No, no.
S: Right through here
G: No, Steven. No
S: It's gonna end it.
G: No.
S: and when i - when i see you come up but...but... i may not even see you there, I mean...i mean...i mean gone. Where will i be? Will i be with the rhinoceros? The lightning in the bottle, hm? Please.
G: It's okay. It's okay, okay.
S: Or will i becompletely all like- like- turquoise? Hm? I feel something. Fuck. Or. Fuck. This is the end. I got a duty to do. Do whatever- whatever you want. I liked fucking you. Did i tell you? I liked it a lot. I liked to get down and fight with you and fuck. Just so you know. That i liked your c***. Like, sometimes, it's so amazing. You're making me cry. Stop it, c***.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

- I'm going to have nightmares about that figure standing in the garage (or carport?) at the end of the credits. Is this Judy, or some whacked out doppelganger of Laura?

- Is the jail drunk a Woodsman? The sitting Woodsman that BadCoop encountered had what appeared to be a similar mouth wound. If this is the case, the jail has Naido (from the White Lodge?), a Woodsmen (from the Black Lodge?) and a Brit given super strength by the White Lodge. All that's missing is for Sarah to get locked up for the gruesome bar murder last week...

- So this episode ended with an abrupt blackout at the Roadhouse. Was this blackout triggered by Charlyne Yi's character's distress, Cooper electrocuting himself, or Audrey finally overcoming Charlie and going to the Roadhouse? I keep thinking back to Charlie threatening to end Audrey's story... is that what happened in this episode? Did Audrey end her own story, or the story-at-large? Coop's electrocution made me think of the opening of the blue box in Mulholland Drive, and the flickering light effect was reminiscent of Lost Highway. I never know what to expect going into a new episode of Twin Peaks: The Return, but saying that for next week's episode is a gross understatement. Will Dougie wake up as Dale Cooper, memories in tact? Will the Las Vegas adventure have been only a feverish Lodge dream? Will Audrey leave the boiler room closet under the Great Northern and stop dreaming half of this show? Will Cooper get sucked back into the Purple Room, and exit through outlet 3 this time? I have no clue what to expect, and I am loving every minute of it.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

fluorescent light wrote: S: and when i - when i see you come up but...but... i may not even see you there, I mean...i mean...i mean gone. Where will i be? Will i be with the rhinoceros?
All I could think of was Belushi and the rhino in the pool from Wild Palms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMPCGo42cE
The drug in Wild Palms is called Can-D
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Jasper wrote: How was it a "cock tease". The last we saw of him he looked like Dale Cooper. He didn't go back to acting like "Dougie".
It's usually very young kids who go and poke electrical sockets with a fork. I think this was supposed to refer to that.

Also he first tried to jam the wider end into the socket before he turned the fork around. He wasn't CooperCooper there. He was still DougieCooper. Behaving like very young kids might behave.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

frompureair wrote:That line from Jeffries has got me nervous..."you ARE Cooper" :? Also remember the Jeffries who called him said he wanted to be with Bob again!
I think this was supposed to show that the real person and the doppelganger are one and the same. To show that Cooper and Mr. C aren't different persons, but Mr. C knows everything Cooper knows because he has been him for Cooper's whole existence. He just haven't been in control and he also lacks his "heart" and that's why he's unable to communicate with Gordon the way two people who very much love and appreciate each other would.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

It just keeps getting better, amazing!
Quite a lot of "closure" in this one. Ed and Norma, Duncan Todd, Steven (and Becky?), Log Lady, (Dougie?).

I think green hand Fred had to end up in the sheriff's station because that's where the "showdown" will be. That's where he'll use his hand for its purpose. James said his part was important, and I think this might have been part of it. The pieces are moving now and we're definitely getting close to... something.
Richard and Mr C. is now together, Audrey potentially crossing the threshold, Cooper may have woken up, but there's still a hit on him coming very fast.

When the Ed/Norma scene was ending, I just knew that with such a happy start, things would get pretty dark pretty quick.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.