Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jason976

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by jason976 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Have only briefly seen this mentioned on here but the roadhouse end scene I feel is very important to the story.

- This whole episode especially the beginning with Cole talked about dreams...
- Audrey is apparently suppose to be seeing Billy
- Many think Audrey is dreaming or in a dream like state.
- The girl in the roadhouse says her mom and Billy had a thing (This is not a coincidence nor is Billy just randomly with a bunch of women.)
- The girl says her moms name is "Tina" This is immidately followed by a weird look from the other girl and scary ominous music.
- The girl can't remember if her uncle is there. She says this a few times. Seems like an important point

There is a few questions I have..

Has there been a character thus far named Tina? or Christina?
Is Tina proof that we are in someones dream? Or is this part of Audrey's dream?
Is Audrey dreaming she has the life of Tina?
Who else looked for the name Linda in the credits tonight thinking the girl at the bar was her?
Also,we haven't officially met a Billy and I'm doubting he exists. First they tried to lead us to believe Billy was the guy Andy met with the stolen truck. This guy was credited as the Farmer.

Then there's the bleeding guy in the jail cell credited as Drunk. Andy and Lucy don't appear to really notice him and while Chad acknowledges the sounds, he could be acknowledging Naido only. No proof that he actually sees him. This could also be a red herring for the booth conversation about Billy later in the episode.

Then one guy runs into the RR looking for Billy in a credit scene playing to the song "Sleepwalk" with mysteriously changing diner patrons.

Not sure what this all means, but maybe the whole Audrey, Billy and Tina story is not real...maybe someone's dream. Maybe we'll find out or maybe we'll be left to discuss for 25 more years. :)
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

A few unrelated observations:

1) I thought it was creepy that Lucy said the same thing to Andy that Diane said to Cooper's Doppelganger, even though Andy and Lucy's memory seemed to be a happy one:

Diane: "Do you remember that night?"
Lucy: "Do you remember that night, Andy?"

There are a lot of lines about remembering or not remembering things in the new series, btw.

2) The guy in the Roadhouse who sits behind Megan is wearing a sweater with a weird pattern that reminds me of one of Lucy's sweaters in the original series. Is he just wearing a retro sweater or is this scene taking place in the early 90's or a mind that is still in the 90's? I could be wrong, but I don't think too many people would wear sweaters like that nowadays? Funny thing is that Megan and Sophie are even talking about a sweater in that scene ("Nice sweater, where did you lift that?" - "It's Paula's." - "It's nice.")

3) I think I spotted an owl in Gordon's hotel room next to the coffee machine:

4) The sign of the French café in Gordon's dream depicts Strawberries, which reminded me of Mr. Strawberry.

5) Monica is crying during the café scene. I'm wondering, why?

6) Everyone at the Sheriff's department ordered some kind of meat and cheese, only Andy ordered "just cheese". Is he a vegetarian? :) The not-eating-meat fits with our thoughts that Andy was pulled into the White Lodge because he is the most innocent in the group.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:

Showtime has it listed as 2 hours, 2 parts. Not sure if they will merge like 1&2.
But it doesn't seem to go past 10pm ET -- after which they repeat 17& 18.

looks like 4 hours max folks!
What date is the last episode please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in the US it's on Sept 3rd Sunday. (with next day off for holiday!! hoping for a massive re-watch, or worst case a long soak in a cold shower)
Thank you!

windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

JohnPalSki wrote:Did anyone else notice:
That aerial shot of the woods/clouds (the first one) after Hawk says "there's your roast beef and cheese"....
On the lower right hand side of the screen there appears to be a building high on top of a hill...

Major Briggs' listening post?

Or glitch?
(Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this has been answered by now (haven't read the whole thread yet) but the same building can be seen in the opening credits.
/windh
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Guys, I'm getting really worried about Jerry. Now that you've found the naked eyeless girl, can you guys start searching the woods for Jerry Horne?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:I've just rewatched the episode. David Bowies accent is slightly different than the version in FWWM/Missing pieces. It sounds less Americanised so I wonder whether he re-recorded his dialogue to get more of a twang to it?
I don't think it was re-recorded, just an alternate take from the original shoot. See the Missing Pieces scene here: https://youtu.be/rHl_8WK8w3Y?t=31s

Compare it to how it was originally in the film: https://youtu.be/3nSqDMqCJQw?t=1m32s
The recording of Jeffries' line in Part 14 was neither the one from FWWM nor the Missing Pieces. It sounded like a different voice, was it even Bowie?
High five!

windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

Jasper wrote:
I really think Andy was the perfect person. The image of Andy in that surreal context is perfect. It could be argued that Hawk would have been a bit on the nose given his knowledge of spiritual lore of the area. There's something about the simpleness of Andy which seems to make him the perfect receptacle for ???????'s message. I think Andy is very open due to his simple and pure-of-heart nature, and he's going to take everything very literally and go with it. There's also something great about the oft-bumbling Andy suddenly having tremendous knowledge and assuming an unlikely leadership role in the group.

He also was the only one to take Judy's (?) hand at the site, sending him straight into the Lodge.
/windh
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Do you guys think we will eventually see Billy and Tina, no matter if they are real characters or delusions? I was just thinking about that because I realized there aren't any actresses on the cast list left who are old enough to play Megan's mom. So if we are going to see Tina, she either has to be someone who wasn't on the list or someone who is already in the series. My guess at the moment is that it's
a) Audrey (she said she's feeling like she is somebody else)
b) Sheryl Lee as a new character or a delusion (Audrey said she can't stand to be in the same room as Tina, and she didn't really like Laura)
c) Annie as a surprise return (Audrey might dislike her because she was with Cooper, and Annie was one of the last people to see Cooper similar like Tina was the last person to see Billy)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I don't know if we are supposed to read anything specific into Naido's muteness and lack of eyes, but if there is some tentative connection between Sarah Palmer and The Experiment, could Naido's inability to see or speak be somehow symbolic of Sarah's own failure to see and acknowledge the abuse that Laura was experiencing in their own home? Possibly not, but at the heart of the show (or at least the original) is Laura's tale of abuse, and the inability of the community at large to acknowledge and stop it. Granted, a lot of the characters had no clue, but if anyone had to at least suspect, it would be Sarah.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Do you guys think we will eventually see Billy and Tina, no matter if they are real characters or delusions? I was just thinking about that because I realized there aren't any actresses on the cast list left who are old enough to play Megan's mom. So if we are going to see Tina, she either has to be someone who wasn't on the list or someone who is already in the series. My guess at the moment is that it's
a) Audrey (she said she's feeling like she is somebody else)
b) Sheryl Lee as a new character or a delusion (Audrey said she can't stand to be in the same room as Tina, and she didn't really like Laura)
c) Annie as a surprise return (Audrey might dislike her because she was with Cooper, and Annie was one of the last people to see Cooper similar like Tina was the last person to see Billy)
Interesting thinking. I go with a.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
ikerno

Post by ikerno »

gary2381 wrote:The experiment is now in the real world. I think Mr. C is doing her bidding. He is trying to find the entrace to the White Lodge, which I think is what Andy found.
I think that ?????, American girl, Señorita Dido, all them were in the Black Lodge. Trapped. But I changed my mind. "It is in our home now". It`s a doninated White Lodge. But they can do some great things. Thanks friend.
It Is Happening Again.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

Upon rewatch I think the fact that the FBI bring up the ring with Diane is really odd. Did they do this because they figured out it's the only thing they hadn't asked her about and they were willing to indulge her likely deception? Or are they 2 steps ahead somehow? With all the machinery in the room it felt as though they were performing some kind of test on her? I felt that it was implied that Gordon was listening in on Tammy and Albert's conversation too, where he seemed to be testing her.

Also spotted in the Sarah scene that her voice is altered on particular lines. Her commands and 'I'll eat you' are lowered in pitch slightly, yet the added 'please', and 'please leave me alone' (paraphrased) were in Sarah's normal voice. It seems Sarah isn't fully herself or fully 'possessed' - for wont of a better word - and appeared to be trying to avert the course of events that she knew would happen if the Truck You guy didn't desist.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
wxray wrote:
wxray wrote:
During my first watch I thought the Lucy and Andy scene we saw in the Lodge was in the hospital and might have something to do with Wally or Lucy's weird condition, but now I think it could be in the Sheriff's Department. I think it is a scene from the past.
Why would the Fireman have to show Andy a scene from his past? Wouldn't he already know about it?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

BigEd wrote:Why would the Fireman have to show Andy a scene from his past? Wouldn't he already know about it?
Maybe the Fireman was revealing important information about that moment from the past that Andy wasn't aware of before. Maybe something from that moment will be important in the future.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Deep Thought wrote:I'm getting worried we may not see Hank (episode 1) again. I thought that he and Harvey, and maybe Chip, could be the key to this whole thing. :wink:

Its looking more like that excellent scene was just to set a tone of miscommunication and lost opportunities. Hank didn't look like a doctor, so that probably was not a stethascope in that black bag he was holding. I'll call it here first and say it's a green gardening glove in there! :mrgreen:
Just one glove though. And the left hand. He stole it when he was in London.