Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Cappy »

It's interesting that this episode utilized the clip of the girl running through the school yard (from the original pilot). They re-used that clip in episode 1 of The Return as well. I've always loved that shot; it was a really creative way of building Donna and James' growing fear for Laura's fate. I just have to wonder though, if it has any relevance beyond just being a stylistic motif.

The girl running is witnessed by Audrey, Donna, and James. I don't think The Return is just some thing that a comatose Audrey is dreaming (at least not in a literal sense), but if Audrey's mental state is having any bearing on The Return in any way, the re-occurrence of the running girl could be a form of recollection for Audrey. Considering how Laura's death led to the eventual unraveling of Audrey's whole world, the moment she realized Laura might be dead could be crystallized in her memory forever, the way important moments can feel frozen in time.

I doubt that's the case, but I'm just glad they keep re-using the running girl. Who knows? Maybe they'll reveal that she was Naido.
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

rocketsan22 wrote:My guess is the important plots will wrap up and stories like Jerry's and Audrey's will bridge the gap to a fourth season that will be more present day with a back to himself Cooper in the lead...
I truly believe it is not going to end well for Cooper, and people aren't ready to accept it. If it foes end "Happy" it will be him with Janey E and the sun (if they don't get murdered. Maybe THEY'RE the double Header in Vegas ).
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

I'm calling it in here but I have a feeling that Janey E and the son could be the double Header in Vegas. Perhaps Cooper (from the future in he lodge) already knows the fate and that's why he's crying when he sees his son in the Car.
While I'm on it, I think the good cooper spirit ends up in the lodge at the end. That's why "is it future or past?". He is in the waiting room in the past (he dreams of being in the room 25 years later, AND Laura is sitting with when she dies BEFORE he was trapped in there), the present (25 years later as the first episode states) and in the future (Mike asks if it's the future AT the 25 years later point).
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

1derpalm wrote:I'm calling it in here but I have a feeling that Janey E and the son could be the double Header in Vegas. Perhaps Cooper (from the future in he lodge) already knows the fate and that's why he's crying when he sees his son in the Car.
While I'm on it, I think the good cooper spirit ends up in the lodge at the end. That's why "is it future or past?". He is in the waiting room in the past (he dreams of being in the room 25 years later, AND Laura is sitting with when she dies BEFORE he was trapped in there), the present (25 years later as the first episode states) and in the future (Mike asks if it's the future AT the 25 years later point).
Read it twice and don't follow. I blame myself not you. :D
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

chromereflectsimage wrote:I just watched the 'Shadow Play' episode of the Twilight Zone and saw some connections to the new season.

1) One guy in the jail cell tells the main protagonist to not think about being there in jail saying another guy sounds like an animal because he can't stop thinking about being on death row. Animal noises in the jail cell in this past TP episode.

2) The DA who doesn't believe he's in the dream tells the main protagonist who is also on death row who is convinced he is in a dream that he's going to 'end his story now' just like Charlie/Audrey.

3) The main protagonist mentions that it's the same dream every night the only thing different is the people get switched around -- reminds me of all the random name drops like Billy, Tina etc.
Wow! What's going on with all of these Twilight Zone nods?! It's interesting that in this reference and others that people have alluded to in different threads, some of the characters are in a dream and not aware of it, manufactured/not real and unaware of it, or dead and not aware of it. Is this just an homage by DKL to TZ, or are all of these references hints about the true nature of what is happening in The Return?
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by guildnavigator »

referendum wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:
referendum wrote:
'' as she backs away when they enter''
It's so obvious to me now that I know. Can't understand why I didn't hear it the first 5 times Image
Many thanks!
probably cos it sounds abit like '' wengyay end her '' :P

It's actually "yngwie end her story too"

Just joking

Malmsteen
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

1derpalm wrote:I'm calling it in here but I have a feeling that Janey E and the son could be the double Header in Vegas. Perhaps Cooper (from the future in he lodge) already knows the fate and that's why he's crying when he sees his son in the Car.
Help me out here. Why on earth would somebody want Janey-E and Sonny Jim killed? What could that possibly accomplish?
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Xavi wrote:Okay, made some notes, took a few snapshots, and share some associative thoughts.
Excellent post Xavi!

Xavi wrote:The Naido golden pool - mind you, just ONE sycamore tree
If we were to superimpose the one sycamore with Glastonbury Grove's circle of them, we'd end up with the alchemical symbol for gold/sun (which also features in the centre of the Rancho Rosa logo).

Xavi wrote:Naido wears Lucy’s pink morning-robe.
Haven’t I seen that before: In IE there were the two female RABBITS wearing these pink robes as well.
It’s all about the bunny …
Nice! I also find Naido resembles the Experiment, both being eyeless.

Xavi wrote:Sarah’s nightmare …
“The ninth level of hell will welcome you.”

According to my associative train of thoughts Sarah intermingles the brutal animal images from her TV with some horrificly revengeful thoughts related to Leo Johnson - the drug dealing trucker connected to her daughter’s tragedy.

BTW, let us talk about Billy, because he was the non existing guy at the notorious window scene in IE.
I really like this idea. I hope the Return leaves a lot of interesting questions unanswered (what if we never see Billy?); one of the things I love about IE is how different interpretations seem to exist in my mind simultaneously, with no one 'explanation' ruling any other out.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturn's child »

guildnavigator wrote:
referendum wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:It's so obvious to me now that I know. Can't understand why I didn't hear it the first 5 times Image
Many thanks!
probably cos it sounds abit like '' wengyay end her '' :P

It's actually "yngwie end her story too"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yngwieendsstorytoo.jpg
Yngwieendsstorytoo.jpg (153.7 KiB) Viewed 10180 times
EddyEdson

Post by EddyEdson »

BigEd wrote:
Help me out here. Why on earth would somebody want Janey-E and Sonny Jim killed? What could that possibly accomplish?
I can't think of anything. I assume the double-header is Todd+Cooper.

But I do hope Janey-E ends up saving the day, using her super tongue-lashing powers.

"Why are you eating CheetO's? Don't you know what chemicals go into those things? Eat some nice crispy lettuce, you slob! And you -why don't you shave & for God's sake stand up straight!"
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Janey-E seems definitely a possible candidate, considering her association with Diane, the doppelgänger may have some reason to want to get rid of her perhaps. I still think the double header is Cooper and Duncan Todd, though.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

I mentioned this already: but if you haven't yet, and feel like re-watching Part 8, see how the woodsmen in the New Mexico scene -- when they're randomly dropping "out of thin air" -- their footfalls are very prominent. They take a uniform cadence though. And when in Part 14, Sarah Palmer came walking out of the woods toward the tavern, her pace seemed slowed. It reminded me of those woodsmen, but I couldn't be sure until I re-watched.
Not that they walk in the same manner, or that their footfalls sound alike even. But I hear the same tempo. Even leaving aside the woodsmen -- Sarah's gait is just weird and slow. This lead-up to what happens next is almost as bewildering to me as the outcome of the bar scene.
Also evocative though not identical: the "Gotta light?" woodsman approaching the radio station [a different walking rhythm, but), finishing his smoke and tossing it out before pulling a glass door open -- maybe it's just me. The dark or lack of light and how the scene is presented in such lack of light. This is mainly why I reap enjoyment from re-watching these Parts~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

I immediately noticed the shape similarity of the Jack Rabbit's Palace tree and the mountain where the "palace" of the Fireman is. Can't be a coincidence :)
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

Man...I know we all had our expectations, and of course with 18 hours of Lynch we were all inevitably wrong, but I have never been affected by a film/art like I have been with this series. Maybe Radiohead's music...maybe. It has tested my patience, but I'm brought to tears of delight, horror and sadness with every hour, especially some of the musical acts.

I don't know, or care, how this will be viewed by critics, but I know I don't want my Sundays void of Peaks!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ubermensch33 wrote:Maybe Radiohead's music...
Hell yes
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."