Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Manwith
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Manwith »

It's not terrible plausible that James is a security guard. He was a good mechanic and could probably make a lot more money doing that (unless Ben Horne is very generous). I assume they made him a guard to make Big Ed more isolated and lonely. If James was still being a mechanic he could run a successful business with his uncle.

Maybe James was too traumatized by the motor cycle accident to work on cars again.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

I have a funny anecdote about this episode. My streaming TV glitched big time during the Sarah Palmer scene. and a line ran straight down the middle of the image for the rest of the episode. I thought that the people here talking about the Big Ed glitch had been vindicated, as had the people talking about the theories of parallel timelines. I thought the line in the screen indicated Lynch was glitching the image as part of a new, unexplored film-making technique to set up some sort of crazy Mulholland Drive style plot twist about two timelines. When nobody talked about the glitches here I realized it was just my TV. I'm kind of glad the "glitch" freeze frame analyzers have not been vindicated after all.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Still can't believe someone noticed the Big Ed glitch. Even after I was told to look for it and knew where to look I could hardly see it...
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

dugpa wrote:
aldiboronti wrote:
sycamore wrote:ok everyone, I need assistance on this one. I'm keeping the cast and character list updated (see the link in my signature). In part 14, Nathan Frizell is credited as "Voice" ... he is not on the original cast list. Is this possibly the voice of Phillip Jeffries? Can anyone tell if David Bowie is speaking this line from FWWM or TMP or if it's a voiceover? thanks!
Just wanted to give you kudos on your cast list. It's so comprehensive and incredibly helpful.
Found this comparison

So, has anyone presented any ideas as to why they did this? Probably some simple technical reason, like the original dialogue wasn't loud enough to stand out in the new mix?
Last edited by BGate on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

rocketsan22 wrote:Still can't believe someone noticed the Big Ed glitch. Even after I was told to look for it and knew where to look I could hardly see it...
I don't usually notice half of what folks here notice, but funnily I DID see the glitch first time around.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Question about Gordon talking about Philip Jeffries appearing in the Philadelphia office. When I watched it, I thought the thing that Gordon and Albert hadn't remembered was Jeffries pointing at Cooper and saying "Who do you think that is there?" The guys on the EW podcast seemed to be saying that Gordon and Albert had no memory of Jeffries appearing to them at all. Which is the correct interpretation?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

iar wrote:
rocketsan22 wrote:Still can't believe someone noticed the Big Ed glitch. Even after I was told to look for it and knew where to look I could hardly see it...
I don't usually notice half of what folks here notice, but funnily I DID see the glitch first time around.
i can even link the big Ed glitch to something in ep 14 - whether it was deliberate or not.
The ' andy ' white lodge scene, when andy sits in the chair and the lamp thing appears in his hands, has exactly the same ''hands at rest, hands raised holding something in both hands'' glitch - and is filmed from exactly the same POV - over the right hand shoulder of the fireman's out-of-focus foreground head...

co-incidence? :D
Last edited by referendum on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

Troubbble wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:It was "Elk's Point #9 Bar". I thought it was in Twin Peaks, and I don't think there was anything that suggested it was somewhere else. Sarah was walking there. Why would she walk to a different town to have a drink if she can have a drink in Twin Peaks?
Hmm, maybe you're right.

If she was walking to the bar, and not just from her car, I've forgotten. Took "Elk's Point" as the name of a town given its similarity to Deer Meadow, but agree it makes no sense for her to walk there!
I believe the bar is actually the "Elk's #9 Point Bar", not the "Elk Point #9 Bar"
FYI: Counting the points on the rack of a deer or an Elk is a common method of describing the size of the animal - a hunter may say " I bagged a 9 pointer last weekend" to describe an Elk with 9 points on it's rack (actually one side of the rack). I am not much of an expert on this, but I believe a 9 pointer is an exceptionally rare large mature Elk.
Last edited by Leebob on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Esselgee wrote:Question about Gordon talking about Philip Jeffries appearing in the Philadelphia office. When I watched it, I thought the thing that Gordon and Albert hadn't remembered was Jeffries pointing at Cooper and saying "Who do you think that is there?" The guys on the EW podcast seemed to be saying that Gordon and Albert had no memory of Jeffries appearing to them at all. Which is the correct interpretation?
I thought the way you did, that they were referring to Jeffries pointing at Cooper and saying those words.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:I think my problem with Freddie is the green glove and the origin story, which makes this story seem like it's from a superhero comic book.
Frost (who probably wrote most or all of that scene) was one of a team of writers on the first two Fox "Fantastic Four" movies, so that's in his wheelhouse. That was one of my favorite scenes in the show in a while.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Leebob wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:It was "Elk's Point #9 Bar". I thought it was in Twin Peaks, and I don't think there was anything that suggested it was somewhere else. Sarah was walking there. Why would she walk to a different town to have a drink if she can have a drink in Twin Peaks?
Hmm, maybe you're right.

If she was walking to the bar, and not just from her car, I've forgotten. Took "Elk's Point" as the name of a town given its similarity to Deer Meadow, but agree it makes no sense for her to walk there!
I believe the bar is actually the "#9 Point Elk Bar", not the "Elk Point #9 Bar"
FYI: Counting the points on the rack of a deer or an Elk is a common method of describing the size of the animal - a hunter may say " I bagged a 9 pointer last weekend" to describe an Elk with 9 points on it's rack (actually one side of the rack). I am not much of an expert on this, but I believe a 9 pointer is an exceptionally rare large mature Elk.
I'm not completely sure about the name, the word order on the sign is a bit ambiguous:
To me it looks like "Elk's Point #9 Bar", but I think it could also be read as "#9 Elk's Point Bar" or "Elk's #9 Point Bar" :D
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

whoisalhedges wrote:
BigEd wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:
But that's not really how nicknames work... Nicknames can even not have anything to do with given names, like "T-Bone," or (my long-standing nick) "asshole."
Now I'm confused. Are you saying that nicknames absolutely can not work like this? Not sure where you are from, but nicknames can happen many different ways and the way suggested above is absolutely one of them. :roll:
Uh - yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. "Nicknames can even not have anything to do..." I explicitly stated that nicknames don't have a set, defined structure, by use of the conditional verb "can." i.e. "to be able." The way stated originally, "Janey E" is one way a nickname can be, so is "Janey-E." Because there's no set in stone way for nicknames to be, they tend to evolve organically rather than according to some set of precepts.
Okay, so exactly what you are saying is that although "that's not really how nicknames work," that they can work that way "because there's no set in stone way for nicknames to be." Got it. This is like trying to follow the plot to a David Lynch movie. :lol:
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

BGate wrote: So, has anyone presented any ideas as to why they did this? Probably some simple technical reason, like the original dialogue wasn't loud enough to stand out in the new mix?
Seems pretty clear that with the new actor doing Jeffries' voice, it would make sense to dub that one line to match the new actor. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Jeffries, and I can't wait to see how they manage the visuals.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Skip Bittman wrote:
BGate wrote: So, has anyone presented any ideas as to why they did this? Probably some simple technical reason, like the original dialogue wasn't loud enough to stand out in the new mix?
Seems pretty clear that with the new actor doing Jeffries' voice, it would make sense to dub that one line to match the new actor. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Jeffries, and I can't wait to see how they manage the visuals.
Well the actor was apparently shut down by production before he gave it away.

One possible reason is what you have above, and probably why they are doing it so future dialog is consistent.

Another possibility is that they took a different take where Bowie said "that" instead of "this" (compare TMP to FWWM) and he came in to make it consistent. Seems like an audio guy could have patched that, though.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Okay, made some notes, took a few snapshots, and share some associative thoughts. Sorry about the mess, not much of a structure. Anyway hope it may somehow help in understanding what's going on in the world op TP. And if THE question is "Who is the dreamer?" then the answer would be a piece of cherry pie, because who is able to experience an 18 hours long lasting dream? The one and only comatose Audrey Horne.

Monica Bellucci - Ne te retourne pas. Don’t look back.

by SpookyDollhouse » 14 Aug 2017 03:45
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3740&start=90#p101088
Is anybody else in love with the fact that Monica Belluci showed up as herself in Gordon's dream?

She is THE policeman’s dream!

Jack Rabbit’s Palace ~ = ~ The Giant’s Palace in the mauve world.

Through the Vortex Gordon Cole saw the Woodsmen on the staircase in the convenient store, whereas Andy met the Fireman.

The Naido golden pool - mind you, just ONE sycamore tree !!
If Coop had followed Naido as she fell down through space-time, he might have been found also, probably … Was this Vortex some sort of short-cut???????

The sounds the window washer produced? Can we or I decipher - Is it another hidden code ???

More on the nakedness of Naido - why is she naked ???? What happened with her red dress???

by roadkill » 14 Aug 2017 13:51
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3740&start=330#p101375
claaa7 wrote:
i'm fascinated by the repeated use of the girl running across the school yard screaming excised from the original Pilot.. it was pretty much the first image we saw of the entire new series and now it returns once again in Andy's lodge visions. i wonder what's the significance here?

By the way: has this actress ever been identified / credited, I wonder?

The Vortex from Gordon pov E11 versus Andy’s pov E14
The Vortex from the palace’s pov

Andy about Naido: "She's important and people are trying to kill her."
The woodsmen, I presume.

Naido wears Lucy’s pink morning-robe.
Haven’t I seen that before: In IE there were the two female RABBITS wearing these pink robes as well.
It’s all about the bunny … you see that, don’t ya?
The dialogue

The Fireman
Major Briggs died in a fire 25 years ago.
“Gotta light?”
“Fire walk with me.”
… through space and burst like a flame or fire — Laura’s quote

The opposite of Twin Peaks is … Bora-Bora???
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ement.html

Yes but no but, did Gordon Cole hear Tora Bora, maybe ??? And was this why he was completely flabbergasted?
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tora_Bora

Sarah’s nightmare …
“The ninth level of hell will welcome you.”

According to my associative train of thoughts Sarah intermingles the brutal animal images from her TV with some horrificly revengeful thoughts related to Leo Johnson - the drug dealing trucker connected to her daughter’s tragedy. In other words, Sarah “digested” her daughter’s possible diary notes.

BTW, let us talk about Billy, because he was the non existing guy at the notorious window scene in IE.