Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Quite a few people got frustrated at the lack of concern about Dougie's demeanour by family and colleagues. They noticed something was odd, but didn't react in a realistic manner. Notice then that no-one makes mention of the fact that Naido has no eyes, whereas I think that would freak most people out immediately.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Denise's Pieces wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:It was "Elk's Point #9 Bar". I thought it was in Twin Peaks, and I don't think there was anything that suggested it was somewhere else. Sarah was walking there. Why would she walk to a different town to have a drink if she can have a drink in Twin Peaks?
In the real world, Elk's Point #9 Bar is Smokey Joe's Tavern in Snoqualmie, and is a block away from the giant log from the first season intro. Interestingly, it is across the street from the "Woodman Lodge Restaurant Steakhouse".
Elk's Point bar is a little rougher, more for the hard drinker, pool player.

The Roadhouse is more for the younger set.

At least that's what it seemed to me. Sarah at the Roadhouse would be out of place.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Will we find out that the Renault family owns the Elk's Point Bar also?
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

wxray wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:It was "Elk's Point #9 Bar". I thought it was in Twin Peaks, and I don't think there was anything that suggested it was somewhere else. Sarah was walking there. Why would she walk to a different town to have a drink if she can have a drink in Twin Peaks?
In the real world, Elk's Point #9 Bar is Smokey Joe's Tavern in Snoqualmie, and is a block away from the giant log from the first season intro. Interestingly, it is across the street from the "Woodman Lodge Restaurant Steakhouse".
Elk's Point bar is a little rougher, more for the hard drinker, pool player.

The Roadhouse is more for the younger set.

At least that's what it seemed to me. Sarah at the Roadhouse would be out of place.
And you can't smoke at the Roadhouse, but there were ashtrays on the bar at Elk's Point...
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Freddy isn't the first superhero in Twin Peaks. Lots of characters have superpowers, whether they have origins or not.
In the original seasons:

Nadine - Superstrength.

Sarah Palmer - Clairvoyance

Laura Palmer - Clairvoyance

Dale Cooper - Clairvoyance and a level of empathy that borders on telepathy at times. Not to mention being a "strong sender" could arguably confirm telepathy

The Log Lady had an origin story and the ability to communicate with the spirit world through a block of wood.

Maj. Briggs saw the future in his dreams.

Since then we can add Carl Rodd and Gordon Cole to our list of clairvoyants, and superstrength to Dale's list of powers.

Freddy differs mainly because he can actually recount how he got his powers but really, I can't put him next to Nadine and the Log Lady and say he's out of place. His green glove looks a little weird is all.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

@dreamyaudrey
Edit: I just realized that if you meant the scene from Part 13 where Sarah is sitting at home in front of the TV, then I did watch them in a different order, because I saw Part 14 with the bar scene first :D
haha :D
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

douglasb wrote:Quite a few people got frustrated at the lack of concern about Dougie's demeanour by family and colleagues. They noticed something was odd, but didn't react in a realistic manner. Notice then that no-one makes mention of the fact that Naido has no eyes, whereas I think that would freak most people out immediately.
Whoever said Twin Peaks was 'realistic'. It's genre is difficult to pin down, but surrealism and absurdist comedy are two categories that it falls in. Neither of those require all the characters to have 'realistic reactions' (which is very hard to define anyway, since people's reactions are not always within a hypothesized norm).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Sarah's obsession with Bloody Marys is like my wife's obsession with Bloody Marys. Should I be concerned?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Ragnell wrote:Freddy isn't the first superhero in Twin Peaks. Lots of characters have superpowers, whether they have origins or not.
In the original seasons:

Nadine - Superstrength.

Dale Cooper - Clairvoyance and a level of empathy that borders on telepathy at times. Not to mention being a "strong sender" could arguably confirm telepathy

The Log Lady had an origin story and the ability to communicate with the spirit world through a block of wood.

Since then we can add Carl Rodd and Gordon Cole to our list of clairvoyants, and superstrength to Dale's list of powers.

Freddy differs mainly because he can actually recount how he got his powers but really, I can't put him next to Nadine and the Log Lady and say he's out of place. His green glove looks a little weird is all.
I think my problem with Freddie is the green glove and the origin story, which makes this story seem like it's from a superhero comic book. The other superpowers in Twin Peaks were weird and sometimes absurd (Nadine), but at least they were mysterious. I also did not like the dialogue of Freddie's scene. By the way, do you think that the other characters got their superpowers in a similar way like Freddie (without any gloves involved)? It's possible that they either didn't talk about it or forgot how they got their powers.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

zeronumber wrote:Ok,
Here is another 2¢.

After the suspensful answer and subsequent aural cue to the answer that "Tina" was that girls mom....

We are left mystified that she did not say what we all were thinking and reply "Audrey".

This,along with our previous two encounter with Audrey and Charlie leads me to the following (obtained by Tibetan method...) associations to conjecture the following:

I purport that Audrey is Tina.

Perhaps she is suffering a schizophrenic split in which Tina is her other self. Who has a life, a daughter and apparently issues with which Audrey hates.

Charlie is some sort of facilitator... And to be clear and eliminate any ambiguity...

The phone call he place to "Tina", may have all been a charade! (There was no Tina on the phone!) He already knew all the somewhat shocking details and was only pressing Audrey by not telling her the things which she may already know as "Tina" but has not been able to dissociate as Audrey. (And maybe vice versa)

I think this can ground the Audrey situation in to reality, while still allowing for all of of the conflictions in the various tales which include Billy.

Just my 2¢.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
my two cents: your 2¢ makes the most sense. and that adds up to 4¢. i like your thinking. yet, lynch will still probably surprise us!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

iar wrote:Sarah's obsession with Bloody Marys is like my wife's obsession with Bloody Marys. Should I be concerned?
Just go drink in a corner when she tells you to and you should be fine. 8)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ragnell wrote:Freddy isn't the first superhero in Twin Peaks. Lots of characters have superpowers, whether they have origins or not.
In the original seasons:

Nadine - Superstrength.

Audrey and cherry stem knot tying ability.

Donna and her super power to "pass the peas."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

N. Needleman wrote:I've come to feel that Bell shines with all the weird FBI lore and exposition, and with Lynch and Ferrer. Strange and very affected she may be, but IMO she has a distinct sense of authority to her mystery that really works when she spouts dialogue about the Blue Rose task force or the strange case of Dale Cooper, or seems enrapt by Albert or Cole telling her more. She is not meant to be Plucky FBI Heroine #4 for some other show - she is this archetype and it suits the material, IMO. Wouldn't necessarily suit other stuff, but it works here.
I was initially disappointed by her character at first because I thought she would have a more central role and I wasn't happy with how her character was portrayed, but she has been growing on me, especially the past couple of episodes. And those strange affects are definitely starting to feel more tied-in to her as a character as opposed to Chrysta Bell, the performer.

I do wonder if she will have more significance towards the end of the show. I still have doubts about Albert, and given the fates of the Blue Rose task force members not having a good track record, I wonder where she, Gordon, and Albert are going to end up at the end of this. I also think it's odd they had been watching her since high school - how would they have even known about her when she was that young? Is there some kind of special FBI summer camp you can go to :D? Or is she related to another character? Does she have a connection to another character in the show that Gordon and Albert know about, but that hasn't been revealed to us yet?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

iar wrote:Sarah's obsession with Bloody Marys is like my wife's obsession with Bloody Marys. Should I be concerned?
Just treat your wife with courtesy and kindness. And if she tells you to go back to the place you were ... do it!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

aldiboronti wrote:
sycamore wrote:ok everyone, I need assistance on this one. I'm keeping the cast and character list updated (see the link in my signature). In part 14, Nathan Frizell is credited as "Voice" ... he is not on the original cast list. Is this possibly the voice of Phillip Jeffries? Can anyone tell if David Bowie is speaking this line from FWWM or TMP or if it's a voiceover? thanks!
Just wanted to give you kudos on your cast list. It's so comprehensive and incredibly helpful.
Found this comparison