Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Does Jerry make it home? Where is Briggs' head? What happened to Laura?
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

sewhite2000 wrote:counterpaul wrote:
" I think her reaction in the prison to COOPER was genuine and what Cole sensed in the hug was that she was hiding something significant, not that everything she said was a lie."

I'm just grabbing out that one sentence since it seems to be in direct response to something I posted. I didn't say everything Diane said was a lie. I'm only taking issue with the one thing she said about this Cooper being fundamentally different from the Cooper she knew because he was "missing something inside", which I did call "lying". Maybe I could have chosen a different word, but what I meant was Diane's acting as if this version of Cooper was a shock to her and something she'd never encountered before was disingenuous. I actually agree with you that this is what Gordon sensed - that she is hiding exactly what her association with Evil Cooper is and how extensive it is.
I am hoping that DIane thinks she is talking to Jeffries!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

douglasb wrote:Does Jerry make it home? Where is Briggs' head? What happened to Laura?
Forgot to add Jerry.

I consider Briggs head and Laura part of the main plot, not a subplot.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Framed_Angel wrote:Moments ago I re-watched 14. Some minor things I didnt notice last time:

- At the beginning of the scene where Hawk arrives w/ the sandwiches they ordered: Deputy Andy is arranging four boxes neatly along the table. But then everything becomes about the sandwiches and/ or arresting Chad. No further mention of the boxes, has anyone seen them before or knows what they were for? Looked like metal boxes and all four were identical.

- During the bar scene with Sarah Palmer: a small lamp sits in the middle of the bar. A weird place for a lamp. At one point it was centered in the frame of a shot as Sarah replied again to the "Truck You" dude. I know electricity is a big theme and all, with probably the lamps representing it and whatnot, but that was a weird place for it. (Another scene, with Harry &Fireman in the white lodge, a shaded lamp had a distinct presence too, as elsewhere).
Great observations. Here are my thoughts.

Sandwiches and boxes: my assumption was they were "lunch boxes" that they would throw into their backpacks. Looks like they had the Sherrif Dept logo. Future merchandising opportunity. :)

Lamps: DKL is obsessed with them, nearly from his early beginnings. They are everywhere in his movies. We've even seen some repeats here in TPTR. Pretty sure the Log Lady's lamp was in MD. But, yeah, electricity is important in the TP world, so that's probably why it is there. Something to give the thing in Sarah some energy. It should have been a hint to us. Nice catch.
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

Probably one of the top-3 episodes of the season so far. So many exciting scenes involving the key characters, this is what we have been waiting for and Lynch & Frost deliver again. 4 episodes to go, I think it is only going to get better and better from here on!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
tresojos wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Anyone else think that Naido is Laura in a hidden form?
i got that feeling. from what the giant showed to andy
Yep, the images are suggesting some kind of connection between them.
i speculated about this too after seeing this episode. it's very possible.. i doubt the images Andy is shown in the White Lodge are thrown up randomly so there's probably some importance to the fact that the image of Laura (surrounded by the angles) is directly followed by the image of Naidoo. this would somehow make the use of Ronette as American Girl in episode 3 make some type of spiritual sense. they were the two victims who set all of this in motion back in 1989.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by zeronumber »

sirpsychoswayze wrote:This might be kind of a far-out idea, but does anyone else get the feeling that Lynch might be doing something overtly meta with this season of Twin Peaks, almost like when Stephen King wrote himself into The Dark Tower? Gordon Cole has been such a huge, central character in this iteration and I think there's something really curious about the way he seems to be reconnecting with the world of Twin Peaks. This first time this occurred to me is when Cole had a vision of Laura Palmer in the Buckhorn hotel. The way that scene is presented - almost like a movie theatre projection in his doorway - feels very strange to me; it puts the character at an interesting remove, suggesting that he's passively viewing this thing rather than actively experiencing it.

This disconnect seems to occur again in episode 14, with Cole talking about his dream in a sequence that explicitly references the world of cinema (in this week's episode of A Twin Peaks Podcast, Jeff Jensen and Darren Franich mention that the dream sequence takes place in front of the Renoir Hotel, possibly referencing fellow filmmaker Jean Renoir, and of course we have Monica Bellucci playing herself.) While watching this scene, I was struck with the idea that maybe Cole's dream takes place in our reality - that what we're viewing may actually be David Lynch and Monica Bellucci having coffee, and in the midst discussing some artistic philosophy ("We are like the dreamer..."), Lynch remembers himself experiencing a dream in another life, as the younger Gordon Cole.

I feel like this fits in pretty neatly with all of the dream stuff we've been dealing with in Season 3, a revival that itself feels closer to a reverie with each passing episode. I know Lynch is obsessed with the idea of shared consciousness and the unified field, so I wouldn't be surprised if this season ended with a reveal that suggested that maybe Twin Peaks itself is a nothing but a dreamscape - a sacred place shared between its creators, its viewers and possibly even the characters who inhabit it every day. I don't think anything like that has ever been done on TV before and while it would definitely anger a lot of people, I feel like there's a really exciting opportunity there.
I believe that Lost did approach similiar resoloution with its controversial final season.

... I am rooting for grandiose meta solutions for this show, and do not put it past Lynch and Frost to accomidate; but i believe he will, when all is said and done surprise and shock us all with twists heretofore unconceived.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Remind me guys, we didn´t see the frog moth in Andy´s best of season 3-download, right? So maybe that thing isn´t BOB or Laura or the mother? Otherwise it would´ve been relevant to show it to Andy.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:Remind me guys, we didn´t see the frog moth in Andy´s best of season 3-download, right? So maybe that thing isn´t BOB or Laura or the mother? Otherwise it would´ve been relevant to show it to Andy.
He saw its egg. He knows a lot from what he sees. He saw Naido, and then comes out and says: "She's important and people are trying to kill her." He didn't see THAT played out, so let's assume his sight of the puked eggs he knows a lot.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

zeronumber wrote:
sirpsychoswayze wrote:This might be kind of a far-out idea, but does anyone else get the feeling that Lynch might be doing something overtly meta with this season of Twin Peaks, almost like when Stephen King wrote himself into The Dark Tower? Gordon Cole has been such a huge, central character in this iteration and I think there's something really curious about the way he seems to be reconnecting with the world of Twin Peaks. This first time this occurred to me is when Cole had a vision of Laura Palmer in the Buckhorn hotel. The way that scene is presented - almost like a movie theatre projection in his doorway - feels very strange to me; it puts the character at an interesting remove, suggesting that he's passively viewing this thing rather than actively experiencing it.

This disconnect seems to occur again in episode 14, with Cole talking about his dream in a sequence that explicitly references the world of cinema (in this week's episode of A Twin Peaks Podcast, Jeff Jensen and Darren Franich mention that the dream sequence takes place in front of the Renoir Hotel, possibly referencing fellow filmmaker Jean Renoir, and of course we have Monica Bellucci playing herself.) While watching this scene, I was struck with the idea that maybe Cole's dream takes place in our reality - that what we're viewing may actually be David Lynch and Monica Bellucci having coffee, and in the midst discussing some artistic philosophy ("We are like the dreamer..."), Lynch remembers himself experiencing a dream in another life, as the younger Gordon Cole.

I feel like this fits in pretty neatly with all of the dream stuff we've been dealing with in Season 3, a revival that itself feels closer to a reverie with each passing episode. I know Lynch is obsessed with the idea of shared consciousness and the unified field, so I wouldn't be surprised if this season ended with a reveal that suggested that maybe Twin Peaks itself is a nothing but a dreamscape - a sacred place shared between its creators, its viewers and possibly even the characters who inhabit it every day. I don't think anything like that has ever been done on TV before and while it would definitely anger a lot of people, I feel like there's a really exciting opportunity there.
I believe that Lost did approach similiar resoloution with its controversial final season.

... I am rooting for grandiose meta solutions for this show, and do not put it past Lynch and Frost to accomidate; but i believe he will, when all is said and done surprise and shock us all with twists heretofore unconceived.

Great posts. And yes, that is basically how I interpret the ending of Lost. More spiritual than religious, and more shared/higher consciousness than anything.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

But he didn´t see the egg hatch and the creature impregnating (?) the girl as far as I remember. So yeah, maybe he knows what the eggs imply and only sees what he needs to see for his own, personal mission.

Also: The flash-forward (?) where he showed Lucy something could just be him presenting Naido to her. Maybe that´s how he knows that he has to take her with him so that he and Lucy can give her a safe space.
Last edited by Firewalkwithme91 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
BigEd wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:I don't think any show is ever again allowed to end with the revelation that it was just all a dream or in the imagination of one of the characters since St. Elsewhere (look it up, kids!)
Dallas???? (now, who are the "kids") Image Image
Let's not forget Newhart!
Or that Malcom in the Middle vs. Breaking bad "one~off" that was done...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rvSu65EAdGk

Wahoo! Image

Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:But he didn´t see the egg hatch and the creature impregnating (?) the girl as far as I remember. So yeah, maybe he knows what the eggs imply and only sees what he needs to see for his own, personal mission.
I interpreted the scene that Andy now knows everything that's important and we were only shown glimpses of what he saw, because showing everything would take forever.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

mtwentz wrote:Hey folks, we've got 4 hours to go and these are the subplots we have to find resolution to (in addition to the main Good Coop/Bad Coop/Janey-E plot):

1. Red/Shelly/Bobby
2. Steven/Becky
3. Audrey's story (including presumably Richard and Charlie)
4. James/Renee
5. Ben/Beverly
6. Ed/Norma and Norma's Pies
7. Dr. Amp/Nadine

In addition, we also have yet to find out the fates of the following characters who do not appear this season: Annie, Leo and Donna

Do you think we can get resolution to all this in 4 hours? Or will we have to wait for Frost's book to get some of the final answers? Am I missing anything?
I think a lot of those subplots could be finished with only a scene or two...and I think the whole Norma/Ed thing doesn't necessarily need anything more than what we've seen. Norma is in a relationship with some quy who wants to change the way she makes her delicious pies (which is why we don't like him), while Ed is still alone and sad.

Also, I don't think we'll ever know what happened to Donna and Leo, but if Lynch/Frost really want to give us something, a sentence would be enough.
Long story short, I think there's still enough time.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

While an interesting idea the only thing I can say that goes against this is that Lynch in the dream is wearing the hearing aids Cole wears. If this were true, that it wasn't Cole in the black and white sequence but Lynch himself, then he wouldn't have the hearing aids in.

And for the record, I really liked the final song in this episode. The performance (i.e. lip sync) was so-so, but the song itself worked perfectly for me.