Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

Chad sure got what he deserved. Besides being arrested while the others brought their lunch to the conference room, he had to listen to monkey sounds all night. Oh boy, that scene was amazing. I laughed so hard, mostly because it was such a contrast compared to what came before.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Why Eisenhower ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

KyleRickards wrote:
PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:
Rhodes wrote:Great episode.

But feeling less confident that we will get suprise cameo's (Michael Ontkean, David Bowie). Weren't there insides on this forum who claimed that there were several important cameo's from people who were NOT on the castlist?

Moreover, is there a chance that the final broadcast of part 17/18 will be three (rather than two) hours? Or does the promised 18 hours simply means 18 parts?

Showtime has it listed as 2 hours, 2 parts. Not sure if they will merge like 1&2.
But it doesn't seem to go past 10pm ET -- after which they repeat 17& 18.

looks like 4 hours max folks!
What date is the last episode please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in the US it's on Sept 3rd Sunday. (with next day off for holiday!! hoping for a massive re-watch, or worst case a long soak in a cold shower)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

DeepBlueSeed wrote: - Despite having been on the fence about Diane for a long time, this episode made me lean towards the fact that she is involved in bad things (if only because we've got a limited time to resolve things). Her activity may be reluctant collision, but the fact that 'Dougie Jones' is married to her half sister seems like a coincidence too far. Three possibilities occur to me: 1. Janey-E is a construct, and Diane is up to her neck in this, having invented her sister at some point to legitimise her... 2. Janey-E is genuinely Diane's half-sister, and Diane is still up to her neck in this, introducing her half sister to the construct in order to give him some sort of 'cover' and legitimise him... 3. I wonder if, in being a 'cover' for Bad Coop, he invented the identity for himself, married Diane's half sister, and then substituted himself with Dougie Coop around the time of the 'accident' - in which case Diane is pissed off with Cooper because he got together with his sister instead of her, and she doesn't know that there are multiple Coopers. I'll admit, I'm not happy with any of these answers particularly, but I suspect Diane isn't either, which is why she is constantly looking confused and drinking. The whole "Vegas?" thing from part 12 has made it clear that she at least knows there's something there that the FBI might be interested in. I'm not convinced her shock in this part is genuine.
I can't tell who Diane is working for. Jeffries is getting the coordinates from Ray, DoppelCoop is getting them from Ray... who is Diane giving them to? We haven't seen the Jumping Man yet, maybe she is in league with him. But wouldn't he know them already?

My mind kept trying to make a connection between DougieCoop being set up with Diane's estranged half-sister and Agent Cooper being set up with Norma's (semi-estranged and possibly half) sister Annie Blackburn. I don't think there is a connection, but that came to mind.

Whoever is trying to direct the FBI to Vegas via Diane... I don't know what they would be aiming to achieve. The FBI would protect Cooper, so possibly Diane is trying to work towards this, albeit for a slightly different reason? I can't figure Diane out one bit, but I like that she is still just as enigmatic in The Return as she was in the original series.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

i'm leaning towards some fleeting CGI Bowie. Seems apparent now that there won't be a recast, there's been too much buildup of the character for them not to be seen at all, and even a digital appearance will have a huge wow factor. I'm sure i'm probably wrong, but it feels like the only way it could go at this point. Feel free to make fun of me when Jeffries is just a monkey gibbering in a dark room or something equally batshit and incredible...
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:The actor responded to me on Twitter! He is indeed the voice of Phillip Jeffries.

"I was given the surreal task of voicing the great #DavidBowie in Gordon Cole's dream sequence. Honored to be a part of #TwinPeaks"
Wow. That's... bizarre. I wish he'd gone uncredited and I never knew it. So then a legal complication with using Bowie's voice? I can't imagine they'd go to the trouble of crediting another actor just to clean up a line of dialogue that we've already heard delivered just fine in two different takes (first in the movie, then in the Missing Pieces). Hmm.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

bosguy1981 wrote:Wow. That's... bizarre. I wish he'd gone uncredited and I never knew it. So then a legal complication with using Bowie's voice? I can't imagine they'd go to the trouble of crediting another actor just to clean up a line of dialogue that we've already heard delivered just fine in two different takes (first in the movie, then in the Missing Pieces). Hmm.
I said earlier, I think it's because Jeffries is critical to the story so they had to recast in some way. Not sure why they'd need to establish his new voice in that old flashback, that's definitely bizarre. But I think that's where we're headed.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Maybe they just want it to match a future cgi Bowie.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:Wow. That's... bizarre. I wish he'd gone uncredited and I never knew it. So then a legal complication with using Bowie's voice? I can't imagine they'd go to the trouble of crediting another actor just to clean up a line of dialogue that we've already heard delivered just fine in two different takes (first in the movie, then in the Missing Pieces). Hmm.
I said earlier, I think it's because Jeffries is critical to the story so they had to recast in some way. Not sure why they'd need to establish his new voice in that old flashback, that's definitely bizarre. But I think that's where we're headed.
Wow, good point. Didn't expect they'd go there but I'll keep an open mind to how this all turns out. I haven't been disappointed yet.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

bosguy1981 wrote:Wow, good point. Didn't expect they'd go there but I'll keep an open mind to how this all turns out. I haven't been disappointed yet.
For sure. Think of it this way: they knew Don Davis and Frank Silva were dead. There was no getting around using old footage of them, nor was there any illusion they'd have a large on screen presence, because it just wouldn't be possible.

But Jeffries? He must have a critical role and as I said,
Spoiler:
David Bowie was slated to film before his untimely death. They were assuming he would be alive to do full on new material with new dialogue and revealing information.
That all but confirms the scenes are critical and they had no other choice but to recast. They went with a voice here to respect David Bowie. We'll see how the voice is used in conjunction with any CGI/weird visuals. Maybe he'll be a monkey haha.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
For sure. Think of it this way: they knew Don Davis and Frank Silva were dead. There was no getting around using old footage of them, nor was there any illusion they'd have a large on screen presence, because it just wouldn't be possible.

But Jeffries? He must have a critical role and as I said,
Spoiler:
David Bowie was slated to film before his untimely death. They were assuming he would be alive to do full on new material with new dialogue and revealing information.
That all but confirms the scenes are critical and they had no other choice but to recast. They went with a voice here to respect David Bowie. We'll see how the voice is used in conjunction with any CGI/weird visuals. Maybe he'll be a monkey haha.
You're right, the credits this way basically serves as a confirmation there's more "Jeffries" coming, and not just in more FWWM flashback scenes. That's riveting. I'm not sure I even expect we'll see him onscreen. Mr. C says Philip's "nowhere," and Ray says where he's at is "not a real place" so those almost seem like clues that we won't see him and it could be voice-only but that he'll be a presence again. Anyway - can't wait to see how this all plays out. Part 14 was riveting. I've now seen it... four times. Already. I can't help myself.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Soolsma wrote:Chad sure got what he deserved. Besides being arrested while the others brought their lunch to the conference room, he had to listen to monkey sounds all night. Oh boy, that scene was amazing. I laughed so hard, mostly because it was such a contrast compared to what came before.
If he gets a good lawyer, he'll be out for false imprisonment. Nothing will stand up to trial since he wasn't read his Miranda rights.

But that's all a technicality for now since it looks like some serious sh-- is going to come down on Twin Peaks!
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

-That scene with Andy in the White Lodge was just perfect. The way it imparted a feeling of otherworldliness was so beautiful. It felt like the afterlife, and incredibly familiar, and like something that I've experienced in dreams. This scene not only harnessed an actual reality but conveyed the sensation of that reality in a way that brought it all beyond mere storytelling. This is cinematic transcendence and storytelling magic. Getting a continuation of Twin Peaks was already seemingly impossible at this point, yet here it is, and it is immeasurably awesome.

By the way the vision of the future where Andy is urging Lucy forward was really scary stuff. Creeped me out!

-Being found out, stripped of his badge and locked up isn't enough for someone like Chad. So extra layers of Hell for you Chad, here comes the all-night screech fest!

-Watching Bobby, Hawk, Frank and Andy was totally awesome all on its own. Bookhouse Boys history in the making, and a call back to events of previous years. Who couldn't help but connect this to the time when Hawk, Harry, Coop and Doc Hayward went exploring deep into the forest? Very similar sense of mystery and tension, curiosity and suspense.

-Tamara Preston is a character that I could really do without. The incredibly self-conscious behavior and jarringly unrealistic reactions whenever Albert is catching her up are a total distraction and they take me out of the moment every time. It's uncomfortable to watch the internal writhing and shifty uncertainty.

douglasb wrote:Did Frank pick up the correct sandwich?
I don't know but he swept that thing up with lightning quickness!

bosguy1981 wrote:It sounded to me like David Bowie's voice (maybe an alternate take) but... who would Nathan Frizzell be? Thoughts?
One thing is for certain: It was the exact same video from the scene in "The Missing Pieces" but not the same audio.

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:Only four episodes left guys. I can´t believe it. What am I supposed to watch after this is over?
Yep. We are pretty much screwed...
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Rik Renault wrote:Someone on Reddit mentioned that some of the shots in the first scene with Gordon, Albert and Tammy are played in reverse – noticeable by the backwards blinking. I'm rewatching tonight and will look out for this, but did anyone spot this?
I watched with headphones and clearly heard a backwards sound effect when Tammy blinks. Can anyone else confirm?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Just to post one more thing on this: Here's the voiceover actor who did the re-take of Philip Jeffries' voice last night, confirming it in an Instagram post. Says he worked directly with David Lynch:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXyJco2AaVj/