Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bastia
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by bastia »

Idk if it is against the rule. So feel free to delete my post in case.. Will we find it online? ( referring to part 14)
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

boske wrote:I just realized something about Dr. Amp, he is reporting (not necesarily in this part) from `...American "Hindu Kush"`, which could also be read as `..."American Indian" Kush`, and so a place of Native American death, killing, and suffering. This ties into the TSOTP mythology and Log Lady parts.
I'd imagine it has way more to do with mountains and lots of THC.
Will we find it online? ( referring to part 14)
I doubt it. 5 didn't pop up either.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Are we sure diane is working with mr C at this point? If She had given him the coordinates he would not have needed( want, sorry) to go to the farm . But I don't think she's working with fake jeffries too.

Or.. Is she the fake jeffries? Don't really get it.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ed plays with fire.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

So the real EP14 is gone now from Sky for over an hour but still no sign of EP13. I guess they are all running around in panic mode in the Sky office in germany and figure out which EP is the right one.

Hopefully they'll post EP15... hahahahaha
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Well, that was without a doubt one of my favorite hours of The Return. Probably clocking in after Part 8 and Part 6.

I absolutely adored the sequence building up to Sonny Jim on the playground. There's such a slow melancholy to the whole thing, and it was one of the first times I'd appreciated the emotional component to the strange circumstances Janey-E has found herself in -- smitten with her inexplicably altered husband and circumstances, unaware that she's party to impossible supernatural strangeness destined to collapse the joy of her new world. (And as with the best of Lynch, that's a mix of thoughts and emotions applicable to any of life's strange and fleeting interstices -- just realized here through the absurd and the uncanny.)

Doppelganger Cooper's scenes and the rest of the cast of Twin Peaks were equally fascinating this hour. And there's something up with Audrey indeed that has me eager to know where her story goes. Certainly more interesting than where I thought it would go last week, where I presumed she was simply in some sort of strange marriage of convenience and that was it.

I believe this episode was also the first to confirm explicitly that storylines are moving asynchronously with one another. Bobby mentioned finding his father's message "today" (so that actually means that not only are different storylines asynchronous, Bobby's night scenes from episode 11 may have been presented out of order with this one?), Charlie seems to have picked up his conversation with Audrey more or less where they left off, etc. Strange indeed.

And poor Ed -- if there's one thing I'm particularly happy about getting from the twenty-five year wait between seasons, it's getting to see the longterm consequences of his arc. It was clear even during the original run that his dutifully self-sacrificing nature was setting himself up for a lifetime of regret, and here we get to see it laid bare. One thing to imagine, another to see. He really has no one now. (Was that soup cream of corn?)
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

docLEXfisti wrote:Yeah it's a bummer. I cannot see part 13 at the moment, as it is still part 14 that is onlíne for me.

How was Part 13 it compared to the mediocre part 12?

Because EP 14 is absolutely amazing from the first to the last minute.
Your original post i still up with spoilers for 14 Are you able to delete please? Pretty bummed to have seen it tbh.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote:Ed plays with fire.
I thought that Ed might have written a little love note that he was going to give to Norma, but that went out the window when Walter showed up. That's my best guess. This being Twin Peaks it might never be spelled out.
Cipher wrote:And poor Ed -- if there's one thing I'm particularly happy about getting from the twenty-five year wait between seasons, it's getting to see the longterm consequences of his arc. It was clear even during the original run that his dutifully self-sacrificing nature was setting himself up for a lifetime of regret, and here we get to see it laid bare. One thing to imagine, another to see. He really has no one now. (Was that soup cream of corn?)
I hadn't remembered that part 13 was going to air an hour earlier. I saw Jerry's chat message that the part 13 thread was open, and this was when I was about to go out to get something to eat. Naturally I dropped everything and got ready to watch Twin Peaks right away. I felt bad for Ed, but by the end of the hour, I really wanted that soup. Ed's personal life might have been a shambles, but he had soup and I didn't. :lol:
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

duplicate
Last edited by sycamore on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

So, Sarah Palmer watches old boxing matches. Hmmm. I've posted in other threads about boxing as related to the big poster of 'Battling Bud' Mullins ... and now I have more to say. I'm putting this speculation under a spoiler tag because it's getting pretty deep. But who knows ... maybe Lynch/Frost are trolling us - or, they have a reason for all this. Read my original post then my addendum at the end.
Spoiler:
sycamore wrote:Bushnell Mullins is fascinating in a very subtle way. There's not a lot of talk about him in the forum, so I did some research into the big poster on his wall:

Tougher than the rest
Bushnell
"Battling" Bud
Mullins
in four furious rounds
Tuesday
18th June
7:30 PM
Civic
Auditorium
General Adm $1.50
Reserved Seating $2.50-$3.50
Ringside $5.00

Using a perpetual calendar, there are only three years in the appropriate time frame that have June 18 being on a Tuesday:
calendar 2: 1957, 1963
calendar 8: 1968
http://vpcalendar.net/Weekdays.html

What happened on Tuesday, June 18, 1963?!?!?!:
Spoiler:
Clay vs Cooper. That's right, Muhammad Ali. Cassius Clay vs Henry Cooper.
https://boxinghalloffame.com/muhammad-a ... ne-18-1963
(yes, this was at Wembley, and not Civic Auditorium, but the synchronicity of the date and name is wow bob wow!)

Here's my hunch: Mullins is on a 4-round undercard in some other city on the same day that Muhammad Ali faced Henry Cooper. Mullins mentions the Ali-Cooper fight to DougieCooper in one of their conversations in episode 8 or 9, then all the memories start flooding back!

But there's more:

Bushnell Mullins understands DougieCooper's drawings.

From TSHOTP (page 61-63) [Wayne Chance writing about his travels with Denver Bob in the late 1800s when they came upon Owl Cave]:
"No gold but DB called me over and we both held up our lights. On his side the whole wall's covered with painting I guess you’d call it. Different colors. Not like one picture, but a whole mess a strange shapes and symbols, kind of primitive. Injun work, no doubt, and they can't draw fer shit. Don't add up to any sense we can make of it. Looks like a bird, maybe, but who know, its like a damn kid's scribbles."

From S3E6 (40:06-46:10):
Mullins: "What the hell - are all these childish scribbles? How am I going to make any sense out of this?"
DougieCooper: "Make - sense of it." [note the different and final word - like a request]
Mullins: "I'm thinking you may need some good professional help, Dougie."
DougieCooper: "Help. Dougie."
(Mullins continues to look through case file after case file while DougieCooper studies the big poster of 'Battling' Bud, then, Mullins realizes something in the drawings).
Mullins: "Dougie! Thank you. I want you to keep this information to yourself. This is disturbing - to say the least. I'll take it from here, but I may need your help again. You've certainly given me a lot to think about."
DougieCooper: "Think about."
Mullins: "Dougie, you're an interesting fellow."
(Mullins attempts to shake hands, but DougieCooper imitates Mullins' hand movements). [note: hand movements are very important in the lodge]

From S3E7 (34:15-40:30)
Mullins: "I have some questions about those files that you covered for me, Dougie. But you go ahead. We can take care of that tomorrow."

IMG_0852.JPG

What did DougieCooper draw? Images that relate to his last 25 years are highly probable. Black circles, lodge floor angles, possibly electrical wires and poles, and ladders - the same kinds of ladders that make The Giant in the Owl Cave glyph. But why would Mullins recognize these? My hunch is that Mullins was somehow related to Project Blue Book and worked with Garland Briggs and Dougie Milford back in the day. Briggs, the Archivist, writes a fair amount about owl cave. Dougie Milford and Dougie Jones. Dougie. Now that's an uncommon name. Did the top secret project they were working on somehow 'manufacture' Dougie Jones and name him Dougie as an ode to Milford in an attempt to affect changes and mess with the lodge? Some kind of way to trap good and evil Coopers in the regular world? OK, yeah, I'm way out there on a limb with that wild speculation ... but that's what happens in the middle of the night after watching Episode 7. Twice. We'll learn more when Mullins talks with DougieCooper in the morning. Episode 8. The final episode before the holiday break. Is a cliffhanger coming? Does the Ali-Cooper fight get it's mention?

On another note: Wednesday, June 18, 1952 - the day that the LA Times reported that Jack Parsons, co-founder of the JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, who was also heavily into 'black magic' was killed in an explosion. (TSHOTP page 268) ... a true story. Read the Archivist Note following the clipping and then wiki Jack Parsons.
New developments related to my rampant speculation:
Part 11 - Bushnell Mullins says, "Battling Bud always fought above his weight class."

Part 13 - Sarah Palmer is watching an old boxing match that's stuck in a loop. The fighter in the white trunks has the same hairline as Henry Cooper; this might be a young Henry Cooper although I've not been able to identify the fight so far. However, the visuals and the audio are probably not from the same fight. The announcer says the fighter is on the ropes, yet, when the fighter goes down, he's nowhere near the ropes.

48.02 - 50:47 from closed captioning:
[man on tv] Oh, the right hand catches the big guy on the ear!
And he finally goes down, hangs on to the ropes.
Oh, the gentleman asks him if he's okay.
Looks like, uh, round number one and two under way.
Now it's a boxing match again.
[bell clangs, cheering on tv]
[static sputters]
(repeated 8 times)

Additionally, in my research tonight, I learned just how big a deal the Clay-Cooper fight was - it's still discussed today as one of the greatest Muhammad Ali fights of all time. I watched the whole fight listening for tonight's looped dialogue. Not there. However, I learned who Cassius Clay fought on March 13, 1963 - one fight before Henry Cooper. It's been called the fight of the year: Cassius Clay vs Doug Jones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Jones

Yup. Doug Jones. First, Muhammad Ali fought Doug Jones, then he fought Cooper on the day listed on the big Battling Bud poster.

I don't know what else to say because I haven't figured it all out.
Last edited by sycamore on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Great episode.

I'm really loving how Lynch is playing with pace here. This was, again, a pretty slow episode. But it's working for me in a similar way to how Lynch ordinarily plays with dread on a scene by scene basis in his movies, except he's literally extending the concept over entire episodes. Even though there's no direct pay-off, these long scenes (like with Sarah and then with Ed) are absolutely incredible and promise so much.

The stuff about Ed's reflection is downright creepy too. There's surely no way that can just be a post-production error from some kind of multiple take splicing. And all the chronology of the series obviously too, which we can now say almost certainly is completely messed up!
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Very interesting episode, why is the boxing match on a loop in Sarah's house?

Why does James Hurley look like John Cena increasingly?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Ashok wrote:
BGate wrote:Can't believe that ancient Renzo rumor/spoiler came true. Although the part about them being "Irish gangsters" didn't, I guess.
Just out of curiosity, what were the original rumors?
There was some guy that said he played an Irish gangster in Twin Peaks. This was way back in the old Spoilers thread. Seems like the actor told someone through his Twitter account or something like that.
One of the extras in that scene told me about it on Google+.
Last edited by krishnanspace on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Also, I remember when we all made jokes in previous weeks about Norma and her paperwork - well, we got the answer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

BGate wrote:
Ashok wrote:
BGate wrote:Can't believe that ancient Renzo rumor/spoiler came true. Although the part about them being "Irish gangsters" didn't, I guess.
Just out of curiosity, what were the original rumors?
Some guy posted that his friend (of a friend?) had a minor part in the show and he was part of a crew of Irish gangsters led by a guy named Renzo. I'm assuming he was one of the many background dudes in that scene.
The guy with the AK and tattoo. I found him on Google+ and asked him about his role. He said he plays an Irish gangsters gang member