Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thedarktrees wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Because Ed reacted to it.
Please describe to me how Ed reacted to it. All I saw was him continuing to stare into space and burn something.
I think it kind of looks like Ed IS reacting to something -- he does sort of look up, seems kind of puzzled. But that said, I'm totally unconvinced that that split-second glitch in the reflection is supposed to be anything at all. If Lynch wanted us to see something in the reflection that Ed was seeing, it would have been a lot more obvious (think Cole's Laura Palmer vision....).
It seems to me like there is also an ominous aidio drone for a few seconds after Ed seemingly reacts to the glitch. Not saying I buy it as being significant, but I do think it's a subtle little thing DKL intentionally slipped in to screw with viewers subconsciously (there's no way the reflection would do that without intentional manipulation).
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Electric Tree wrote:I'm staying in the "there's nothing to the final Big Ed scene except a guy who's mulling over his life and losses" group. People are looking for (and apparently finding) something that isnt there.
You know why I think that it might mean something ? Because later on, when the title begin, the reflection disappears. If they were looking for a loop they would've kept it there.

Another question. Does anyone find the POV images of Sarah's TV (when you can see the boxing match) weird? They move as if it was from the point of view or someone (like they do in many movies trying to show the POV of the subject) rather than being just "static" showing the object.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Jasper wrote:When we first meet the real Dougie, he's with a prostitute, trespassing on private property. He seems to be on very familiar terms with the prostitute, so this doesn't seem like it's a one-time lapse in marital fidelity.
That still doesn't tell us whose fault the unhappy marriage is. Maybe Dougie is with the prostitute because he felt neglected by Janey-E. Janey-E seems very controlling, Jade might have been a sort of escape.
1) It's always an escape to get a hooker. Did Janey-E put his winkie in Jade? That would be the only way you could blame it on her. "That's no way to treat your wife buddy I don't care what she's done" - Gene Clean
2) She has to be "very controlling" (which means here expecting accountability and taking charge of the finances) because Dougie has been impaired/alcoholic and had "episodes" that make his behavior seem normal to her and everyone else.
3) Sex is also a powerful glue for troubled relationships- oxytocin orgasm bonding, causes maternal protective and loving behavior, and it had also become apparent to her he needed help beyond his regular episodes. And bringing home money isn't something he's been doing prior to this extended episode- he's functioning at work very well nowadays, and outside of work! Bushnell got a Beemer too!
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:If people can't tell that Dougie was a total douche, then they're not paying attention.
If people can't tell that Janey-E is a total bitch, then they're not paying attention.
Douche, bitch- Nobody's perfect. But look how Cooper, lodge magic and fate has made their marriage perfect? No sacrifice required, except the manufactured douche who has now served his purpose. Ain't love grand?
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member

Post by JohnPalSki »

raltenbach wrote:Maybe that's all James Hurley is: the evil that men do.
Best message on this board since The Return started. Hats off to you for that one!!

Forgive me if someone else mentioned this already, but....

That scene where Richard Horne is watching DoppelCoop on the big screen triggered a thought.
?????? says "Richard and Linda"... I have to wonder if this Linda is another child that was fathered by DoppelCoop.

Not trying to bite someone's theory. I thought of it last night and was itching to get home from work and post that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Really enjoyed last nights episode. My main thoughts are:

1) Wow-what a difference a week makes. That Audrey scene was supreme, totally mysterious, and there now really is something going on (I suspect the more mundane end of the speculation, basically involving some form of brain damage, and the "husband" is some sort of therapist). This may have been my favourite part of the episode, and the scene last week was my least favourite part of that episode until it acquired new resonance this week.

2) I actually loved Dougie this week. Party Dougie was amazing, and the scene in the back garden was very odd and intriguing. I thought initially that it was building to some sort of classic "now it goes mental" Lynch transition, but nope. They are now really painting a picture of blissful family life for Dougie, which makes me think that they are about to horribly end it.

3) Seventh heaven vs ninth circle of hell last week. This dialogue can't be an accident?

4) Am really annoyed that 14 leaked and we have a week to avoid spoilers. There are reddit threads that I dare not click on, but of course the temptation is extreme. I just figure that if next week is one of those game changing episodes (which seems to be the case) I don't want to open my Christmas presents early.

5) Am particularly annoyed on behalf of German TP fans who were forced to watch the series in the wrong order.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Can we make peace with the idea that there can co-exist multiple opinions about Janey E?
Same as there are differing views of Tammy... or Dougie.. Love em, hate em. I still don't know what to think about James. I'll spare the long version. Shorter: it's incredible (in a good, or fascinating way I guess) how Lynch's creations produce dialogue and disagreement. Maybe not so mysterious when you consider we've been appraising these characters using only glimpses and fragments. But for that same reason, it seems useless to get worked up that a given persona strikes others in a contrasting or even opposite way than they do you.

I never cared for Janey-e, I've posted before how her behavior as a mother seemed *off* in that she never interacts much directly with her child. But then, a LOT about the family and the situation seems *off* by most standards. I will say that in her scenes during Part 13, Naomi Watts' acting, she totally owns the role. She just really shone for me. I do get what some here felt about her sly grin and arguing whether that's gratification or greed or wish fulfilment but, given all the other nits I have to pick about scenes I didn't care for in this episode, I thought she was strong, and reminded me how effectively (to share credit) Lynch often draws such performances from his actors.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
aldiboronti

Post by aldiboronti »

I couldn't resist temptation with the reddit spoilers and now I wish I hadn't read them, mainly because it makes the wait for next week even harder to bear. That's why I'm really glad no links surfaced on the net for 14; I would not have been able to resist watching it and that would have meant almost 2 weeks without a new episode. That would have been terrible, I still remember when they put episodes 3 and 4 up straight after the premiere - the wait for 5 seemed interminable.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Skip Bittman wrote:Why would anyone pay for that? Pay a production to have their competition highlighted as well?
It's not super unusual, actually. For instance, James Bond movies often have placement deals with multiple car companies in one movie (such as BMW and the old standby Aston Martin). That being said, I'm 99% certain there is NO paid product placement in TP:TR.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Not many people talking about the ring on here...Thoughts on why Jefferies wanted EvilCoop to wear the ring? Whats goona happen to Ray now that he wore the ring? The ring is back on its forimca table, looked like the one armed man has it back now.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Skip Bittman wrote:Why would anyone pay for that? Pay a production to have their competition highlighted as well?
It's not super unusual, actually. For instance, James Bond movies often have placement deals with multiple car companies in one movie (such as BMW and the old standby Aston Martin). That being said, I'm 99% certain there is NO paid product placement in TP:TR.
Bond makes his own laws! My only experience is with TV productions, so I was just going by memories of an angry Nokia-based incident. I'll also go with 99%, but I like said -- would be good to get the exec producer on the record about it, because it keeps coming up.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

zeronumber wrote:Thank you kindly for skooling me on this.
Sorry, didn't mean it to be a skooling! :D The whole dilemma vs dilemna gets brought up in relation to the Mandela Effect, so since this ep has people talking timeline shenanigans... :wink:

Also, while I'm here:

Don't remember any discussion on this, but y'all know when the halo/glory passes over Laura's face in the opening credits? & there's an accompanying sound? I keep being reminded of Sarah's iconic "Laura!" that gets repeated/slowed; I feel like this could be the same soundbite, only heavily altered. Anyone else?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Fenn has been freaking phenomenal. Knocked it out of the park this week. And the writing...every line in that scene is a perfect Lynchian enigma. The Ghostwood reference is really intriguing. At this point in the season, I didn't think we'd ever hear a reference to Ghostwood. I still think we probably won't hear the project literally referred to, outside of this weird non sequitir, but it was a nice callback.

The arm wrestling was predictable (we all knew Mr. C would win), but the accountant made the scene. I kept giggling at him in the background among all these burly outlaws, even before he had his line. I love the implied backstory that this nebbish dude misguidedly thought he could win at arm wrestling and would have an army of thugs to do his bidding, only to end up as an indentured slave, presumably cooking the books.

The Sarah wrestling-loop is the first time I've given serious consideration to the time-displacement theories; I'm pretty sure it's way too late in the game to introduce that sort of plot element (especially with this show's pacing), but who knows. Definitely, a weird, unsettling scene. As much as Kyle has been killing it and DougieCoop is the emotional core of the show, Sarah is the MVP of the season as far as I'm concerned. Would love to know what fight she's watching, if there are any boxing experts out there, and how/if it ties in with the Henry Cooper/Douglas Jones theories floated elsewhere.

Speaking of Kyle, he has one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire series in this one. After Janey-E says, "I love you so much," DougieCoop mouths the words, "So much" -- not a sound comes out. It's an enormously powerful, sad thing to me, and I can't pinpoint why.

Big Ed killed me. After that scene from TMP, all I wanted from the new show was for Ed & Norma to find happiness. Glad McGill is being given some subtle emotional material instead of the comedic mugging he was asked to do for much of season 2 with the "Super Nadine" crap. I can't be the only one who thought he was going to commit suicide by burning down the gas station, right? I'm still not 100% convinced that he wasn't considering it, at least for a second. He's always struck me as a clinically depressed guy hiding behind a "strong silent type" exterior.

I've got to say, since Andy & Lucy have all but disappeared, the comedy on the show has been working for me like gangbusters. The offscreen fiasco during the Fusco scene was hysterical (and reminded me of DKL's Comic Con video). As far as I can decipher, a female prisoner is pissing on the floor, gets her hands on a knife, and calls the cops "Twinkies"...she is then tazed.

Pretty sure that was Mike's hand placing the ring on the podium, right? Interesting that Strobel didn't get a credit, but Sheryl Lee continues to have the most unearned weekly credit possibly in TV history. (I adore Sheryl and wish we were seeing a LOT more of her, but it's absurd that she has been in one new scene all season and received credit on 13 episodes).

Another inconsistency between TP:TR and TSHoTP: Norma says the Double R has been known as such for 50 years, but according to the chronology in TSHoTP, Marty Lindstrom opened the diner in 1938.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

New users signing up just to start obnoxious ship wars? Now we really are a 2017 fandom!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

sewhite2000 wrote:Sigh.

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.
How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?
Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Sigh.

I can't believe what a drag this board has become.

This was always a place where people could come and talk about Twin Peaks. For over a decade now we have come to talk about all the little theories and ideas and things we've noticed. People pointing out Lynch directing Everret McGill to look into a reflection and have that reflection do something a ten seconds slower (and not unlike David Bowie's character in FWWM) is surely worthy of pointing out. Especially in an episode where a major character from the original series is unaware that her TV is stuck in an ever-so-slightly changing loop that restarts with the sound of electricity. Even if we are all wrong, why the hell are we all here discussing anything about this episode if we can't bring this shit up?

Sigh.
-23-
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I completely agree that Sherilyn Fenn was phenomenal this week. An incredible performance. Really top stuff, and yet another lesson that a snap judgement on a character/plot/facet in this show is always premature.