Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

Jacob wrote: And I have to say though that the theme of corruption and greed really dominates almost all of the scenes, which allows the part to still have an emotionnal center. Norma's boyfriend (who made me think of Michael Keaton's character in the clever "The Founder"), Anthony's poison, and obviously the always so materialistic and selfish Janey-E -- who, like I had foreseen after Part 11, was so happy of Sonny Jim's new gym set, and still don't give a shit about Dougie, letting him crashing into the door while she drives in her fancy new car -- : all of that was a good metaphor of what's evil this season. Not just modernity, guns or violence -- that's too easy -- but really desire itself. Expanding. Wanting more.
Remember what Mr. C was saying in Part 1 : "I don't need. I want". Good Janey-E is exactly like that. And honestly she should let Dougie go and get married with Norma's boyfriend, they are a match made in heaven. Or maybe she's just gonna wait Sonny Jim is old enough to rape him :( Oh I know, while looking in awe at her new car (obviously her's, since Dougie isn't able to drive anymore, but who cares ?), she said to Dougie : "I love you". That must be sincere and romantic I'm sure !
:lol: shut the front door (red door)

He bumbles around. Should she put him in a plastic bubble and a crash helmet? How solicitous does she have to be? People crash into doors, they aren't in danger of their lives. He can defend himself from a gun assault, clearly big boy DougieCoop can handle a door.

She is not greedy or evil. Someone else said in Disappointed it's a housewife cliche give a woman money and good sex and she's happy, well duh. Give a husband money and good sex and he's happy, too. Their marriage was on the rocks and this situation has turned out better than good for her and Dougie, who is now free of a few addictions. Janey can't be expected to be a martyr. They're doing well, that's all I see.

Norma is being coerced, it seems, or at least there's a business incentive dating Walter. She doesn't want to compromise her pies, so she's compromising her...
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

How many more musical acts are we expecting?

Eddie Vedder, Julee Cruise?..
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

jakemartinez wrote:How many more musical acts are we expecting?

Eddie Vedder, Julee Cruise?..
The Veils, Lissie.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Freshly squeezed

Post by Freshly squeezed »

Another lurker new to the forum. I was also watching the mirrors in Sara's house,and may be imagining things, but was struck by how they seem to be arranged like an owl's face?
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Is Norma in the hands of another schemer? Hank could be slick and manpulative too but he always talked big and never delivered. Norma´s new guy, however, apparently gets shit done but also seems kind of unpleasant because of his fake salesman-persona.

Also: Doesn´t Candie seem much more alive this week? She acted like a gameshow presenter when she gave Bushnell his presents. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Firewalkwithme91 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Is it about the Bunnies?

Two ceramic lagomorphs on Sarah's televison credenza.

(Or are they "Rabbits"?)

.....that series had plenty of non sequitor repitition.... as well as its place in IE...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Josh

Post by Josh »

anthoto1 wrote:Could Charlie be somekind of therapist for Audrey ? The scene reminds me a bit of Shutter Island and Charlie's somehow has the body language of a psychiatrist. :lol:
Shutter Island is exactly what I thought of. Charlie's responses/questions are just what one would expect from a psych.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Question for parents (I don't have children):

Do gym sets today no longer have swings and slides, like they used to?

Sonny Jim's new set had mostly climbing structures. From which to dangle, otherwise -- cling and grasp, make your way across, drop, bounce. Repeat.

Also felt it a *little* off, that he's playing with it at night. Sure, it's still new so it's still exciting to play. It was a nice way to lend a dreamlike quality as with any string-lights- evening's festivity.

A repeat viewing of Sonny Jim going through the apparatus, again and again, made me think of a hamster or gerbil in its contraption -- sans swings or slides -- also evokes for me a monkey in a cage.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

the whole ed scene...i was waiting for one of the woodsmen to start walking towards the gast station from the darkness.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

tlk wrote:Image
In case no one has posted this yet.
who's that? was it from the diner scene w/ Big Ed, Bobby, etc~
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Big Ed has the head to Johnny's Bear :D
Attachments
johnnyedbear.jpg
johnnyedbear.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 8748 times
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

I enjoyed the episode this week, thought it was still a bit mixed in parts. Again like Part 12, the first half was dramatic and tense, and the latter half less so.

I liked the humour in it (the roadhouse scene was so brilliant), and this week the Audrey scene was actually one of the best ones - given the speculation and almost consensus that these scenes aren't played straight. This weeks Audrey scene also had a tension and sinister quality due to Charlie's threats to 'end your story too' and Audrey's breakdown over who she even is. The 1-2 twist and turn over whether Ed was with Norma was brilliant - first elation that you think they're together, followed by brutal disappointed. Brilliant subversion. The Sarah Paler scene was again a highlight - every scene she's been in during The Return has been brilliant.

There were still some scenes I personally don't really care for - I don't feel invested in the insurance fraud plot at all, especially given its still expanding.

The realisation that some scenes, particularly in Twin Peaks, are completely out of order is a weird one. If that fact has some meaning, plot significance, or is indeed some kind of puzzle to figure out then I think it works. If its JUST an editing thing to make different parts fit and flow better, then I'm not so sure. I don't think seeing Becky's story in the wrong order made it feel any better - if anything the scene of Becky calling Shelly cos Steven was missing should have just been cut out, once the decision to throw us into that story so dramatically in Part 11 was made. As it is, it just felt weird and off - if this plays some sort of actual significance (not just fans trying to rationalise and justify it with something that's not there), then that's cool.

Still, the show wasn't for me firing on all cylinders like it was in Part 8 or 11 other than the Bad Coop section. I would love for this to be a little lull before an amazing home stretch for Parts 14-18 (only 5 parts left!). All I really hope is that there is at least one, hopefully two, parts as bold, beautiful and brilliant as Part 8. Lynch really knows how to end something with a bang (Twin Peak season 2, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr) and I'm hoping parts 16-18 give us that.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Shelly and Becky scene was out of order. Shelly's elbow was bruised and red from where she flew off the car. I think it is supposed to take place after the other stuff. He's probably holed up with Gersten and hasn't come home, as she mentioned.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Big Ed has the head to Johnny's Bear :D Image
OMG that made me laugh. Not Johnny's bear, but your comparing with BiG Ed's. Johnny's bear, for me, was a profoundly disturbing creation that freaked me out on its own almost more than Richard's outburst did.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Post by manalicream »

Further timeline discrepancies. Shots from parts 2 and 13ImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk