Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ravingnightmare

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by ravingnightmare »

Pretty good episode. Two things needs to be addressed:

1) That Sarah Palmer scene could have been used a lot better. Along with Big Ed's at the end scene. I am like say something!

2)
djsunyc wrote:btw, i'm now 100% convinced we are not getting our cooper back. this will be dougie vs. dopple till the end. maybe we get 10 seconds...maybe.
This alone makes A LOT of the good stuff happening this season quite forgettable.. (except for ep 8). A lot of us have waited over 25 years to see Dale. His zombie like state of mind will last at least until the last episode, mark my words. It's a tremendous tremendous shame when you think about it. Feels like having a cold soul. Empty and colorless.
Last edited by ravingnightmare on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

I still don't see what you guys are seeing. Oh well. :lol
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Alright we have five hours of Twin Peaks to go and...yea. I think maybe we will be wrapping up Vegas, I hope to God. I hope it just ends next week. I admit I was wrong about Audrey being stuck somewhere, now I believe. The problem is how the fuck are we going to resolve all this shit. Five hours that is it. I don't think there is going to be a season 4. So, we do get Richard possibly running into his father. Ok, good. We get Big Ed. Nice. I guess Jacoby and Nadine getting together is good. We have movement there, but now we have Nadine's business story which WHO CARES?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five hours that is it. We still have to get Dale to Twin Peaks. The War of the Lodges. The Audrey situation. The FBI hunting Evil Cooper with Diane Mole. On top, the Twin Peaks investigation which seems like it should have started tonight. Not to mention crooked Twin Peaks cop, the drug trading involving magic dude who is dating Shelly and of course, how the fuck do we get Dale back to being Fucking Dale Cooper. Unless the last five episodes are like Game of Thrones where characters are moving at warp nine or getting capped off then Lynch has wasted 18 hours of a project we fought to get for him to waste on long shots and storylines that go nowhere. Shit has to get real fast.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

lotjx2 wrote:Unless the last five episodes are like Game of Thrones where characters are moving at warp nine or getting capped off then Lynch has wasted 18 hours of a project we fought to get for him to waste on long shots and storylines that go nowhere. Shit has to get real fast.
I'd say if the last 2-5 episodes are as wild as 'Miss Twin Peaks' and 'Beyond Life as Death', Lynch should have plenty of time to bring closure to these characters.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Electric Tree wrote:Was anyone else waiting for that suit of clothes in the shadows in Sara's living room to start walking?
No. I was too busy checking the mirrors.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
tlk

Post by tlk »

In case no one has posted this yet.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

So I just rewatched this episode and isn't it funny that we saw Dougie in the last EP12 playing with Sonny Jim, but in this episode he was still with the Mitchum's and Janey-E was already worried? Continuity-error?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Maybe Annie is managing one of the Double R clones?

I think the Audrey scene could still be happening in reality. Audrey says that she doesn't know where the roadhouse is. Audrey was never really the type of person to hang out at a place like that. I think that in the original series she only ever went there for the Miss Twin Peaks contest. It may have been 25 years since she's been there so she might not know where it is in relation to where she is living now.

Also, maybe Audrey never learned to drive. In the original show, she had a car drive her to school. She probably had a chauffeur to take her everywhere. Then maybe after being in the coma, she just never learned to drive. Is she depending on Charlie to drive her to the roadhouse?
LaurenceBranagh

Post by LaurenceBranagh »

Lot's of great cameos this episode: John Savage, Grant Goodeve, Derek Mears, Frank Collison, Alon Aboutboul (the scientist from The Dark Knight as a Gym Mover), the mysterious Malone, and even Lara Flynn Boyle (in the picture of Donna and Laura in Sarah's house).
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Agent327 wrote:When the scene had gone on for far too long, I thought "Yet another one of these slow scenes where nothing happens, we get it, it's a painfully sad existence for Sara, we fully understand, the point has been made Lynch, and we've suffered as a viewer, now please lets move on" it then managed to go on for twice as long after that. Nothing happening. I almost dozed off.
That was the only thing you took away from that scene, that it's a "sad existence" for Sarah? There's something seriously abnormal going on in that house!
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
Jacob wrote: - I loved the ending and I agree with LostintheMovies : it was better to have Ed scene after James's song, because the beauty of Ed looking at the road is precisely the deception and the melancholy.... nothing happened. And that's the point, I guess.
You should watch that Big Ed scene again. Something DOES happen. Something HUGE!
Agreed!
It took me a while, but when I saw what was happening...!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've watched it three times...where am I looking????
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

rocketsan22 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
You should watch that Big Ed scene again. Something DOES happen. Something HUGE!
Agreed!
It took me a while, but when I saw what was happening...!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've watched it three times...where am I looking????
Spoiler:
Big Ed's reflection, between the pumps, after the first car passes.
You will see that his reflection does something he doesn't (and can't) do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Esselgee wrote:Maybe Annie is managing one of the Double R clones?

I think the Audrey scene could still be happening in reality. Audrey says that she doesn't know where the roadhouse is. Audrey was never really the type of person to hang out at a place like that. I think that in the original series she only ever went there for the Miss Twin Peaks contest. It may have been 25 years since she's been there so she might not know where it is in relation to where she is living now.

Also, maybe Audrey never learned to drive. In the original show, she had a car drive her to school. She probably had a chauffeur to take her everywhere. Then maybe after being in the coma, she just never learned to drive. Is she depending on Charlie to drive her to the roadhouse?
Coma, daydream, stark reality: ultimately doesn't matter much.

The point is she is messed up. Something isn't right, and even she is noticing that she is not herself.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Norma has updated the diner. New branding, even franchising.

Big Ed has done squat with the Gas Farm. I was looking at his shop closely, and it is frozen in time from about 1990. Even in 1990, some of the vibe was old, but at least the phone looks to be from about 1986. The parts he has on the shelf behind him are mostly anachronistic. The gas pumps have analog rolling dials. Those are nearly impossible to find in operation today. Good luck servicing those pumps, Ed. His radio is from the 60s. The receipts with a rubber "PAID" stamp is a quaint touch. Cash only? Really? At least he bought a new Mr. Coffee machine in the last 15 years. Otherwise, Ed is stuck.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

wxray wrote:Norma has updated the diner. New branding, even franchising.

Big Ed has done squat with the Gas Farm. I was looking at his shop closely, and it is frozen in time from about 1990. Even in 1990, some of the vibe was old, but at least the phone looks to be from about 1986. The parts he has on the shelf behind him are mostly anachronistic. The gas pumps have analog rolling dials. Those are nearly impossible to find in operation today. Good luck servicing those pumps, Ed. His radio is from the 60s. The receipts with a rubber "PAID" stamp is a quaint touch. Cash only? Really? At least he bought a new Mr. Coffee machine in the last 15 years. Otherwise, Ed is stuck.
This is a really funny takeaway in light of McGill's interview where he cites Ed's hip new haircut and says the kids think Ed is the cool adult they can talk to. Not saying I disagree with your takeaway at all, but definitely a funny contrast with McGill's apparent feelings.