Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

DirkG wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
DirkG wrote:
Of course I know that... and episode 8 (to take the most obvious example) could NEVER have ended with going back to the roadhouse. BUT the ending with the band is the STANDARD ending and here it didn't warrant a deviation. The Ed scene was powerful indeed, yes. But the music was mythical. James deserved to be treated like standard performances at the roadhouse have been treated. And end credits have their biggest impact with music almost always, 99% of the time, this absolutely no exception.
I think in a way Lynch was honoring Marshall more, by saying "This isn't just background music - pay attention." Plus the Ed ending felt so perfectly poetic as a closing image.
Nothing 'background' about anything in season 3/the Return for me. I guess what conclusion you end up with is 100% based on what positions /prejudice you've got. Reason I'm disappointed is of course that I wanted what I found really powerful to be 100% spot on. If I were more or less indifferent and just found it 'good' or what people in general usually refer to as 'great' without really meaning it, I wouldn't give three f**ks.
Well, I mean a performance playing behind the credits (esp when viewers are hunting credits for clues about characters etc) is quite literally in the background. Lynch also made a point of cutting between James and the woman watching (presumably his fiancee) which isn't the sort of thing he's done with any credits sequence (he'll cut, but between different shots that are easy to take in pictorially and don't contain new plot information).
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Rami Airola wrote:
boske wrote: One thing I noticed: just like Charlie, Duncan Todd has not moved at all, he has been stationary the whole time. That is strange.
I think in one episode he walked to the safe and took some papers from it. Or something like that.
I cannot re-watch it, but from I remember, he merely turned his chair around. But it has been a long time ago now (5-6 parts?). so maybe I missed that detail.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by zeronumber »

Shloogorgh wrote:Through the darkness of Big Ed's night
The Hurley pines for thee
One eats soup behind cold desk
Norma, Bear With Me
Wow Shloo, Wow!

(...could Mike write a poem?...

You sure did~)

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

boske wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:
boske wrote: One thing I noticed: just like Charlie, Duncan Todd has not moved at all, he has been stationary the whole time. That is strange.
I think in one episode he walked to the safe and took some papers from it. Or something like that.
I cannot re-watch it, but from I remember, he merely turned his chair around. But it has been a long time ago now (5-6 parts?). so maybe I missed that detail.
Episode 6, around the 35 minute mark, and Todd does indeed leave his seat.

Last edited by Novalis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

thunderclap82 wrote:
TweetPeak wrote:Sky Germany customers beware Episode 13 contains Episode 14 - i Just watched it and was baffled with this thread as there was all different. We are Like the dreamer
I did pop on torrent, something I typically don't do these days, and thankfully it's not available (yet). Hopefully it will stay that way.
They have been available since Saturday...
Akiguchi

Post by Akiguchi »

I just love all the psychological relations here in this episode (and in many other episodes too). James Hurley''s song and it's lyrics was a perfect contrast and middlefinger to all the failed relationships in Twin Peaks and eternal love in general. Also many shots can be taken as a advances in plot, as underlying psychological or moral issue or simply as an aesthetics in art. Sarah's scene was also brilliant showing the life of an alcoholic when you're in so deep in that hole that you can't see or care what is happening around you and just follow that circle over and over again. And it also had that electrical hum which cleverly connects to plot points. This is something that I so much adore in this new season: it can be viewed on so many levels and it has the depth that you can watch it over and over again and still find lots of new stuff. I just hope that the general audience would be more patient and see the meanings in different levels and not only try to follow the "plot", since that is the surefire reason to lose the interest towards the whole show (and maybe they already have).
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

That was the most brilliantly meta episode of a show I've ever seen.
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

Also, in a career filled with so many disquieting and creepy lines/moments, Charlie's "Are you gonna stop playing games or am I gonna have to end your story too?" ranks up there with the most disturbing.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Oh one crackpot theory I forgot to mention in my piece - the kind of thing that popped into my head but I don't actually believe, but is kind of fun.

People have wondered if Richard and Linda are evil and good Cooper's kids, respectively (Richard w/ Audrey, Linda w/ Annie)? We still haven't seen Linda, even though we've heard her name but I wondered what if that Linda was a red herring, and Linda is actually Candie's real name? Amy Shiels is the right age, and Candie's wondrous innocence is somewhat reflective of Annie and good Coop (albeit exaggerated, just as Richard Horne is almost undiluted evil). And it makes more sense than the reincarnated-Laura and/or -Annie theories out there!

Ok, in all seriousness I fully expect the Linda in the trailer park to be *the* Linda. And I won't be surprised if she's Cooper's daughter with Annie although we have yet to get any evidence of that (or even conclusive evidence about Richard). But given the giant's intro it would make sense to go in that direction.

for me 2 birds with one stone is not "killing them", like the old phrase. But rather "create" 2 birds with 1 stone (ahem, testicle).
Richard and Linda are twins. Polar opposites. COL and COD.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Troubbble wrote:
TweetPeak wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
I did pop on torrent, something I typically don't do these days, and thankfully it's not available (yet). Hopefully it will stay that way.
didnt happen last time, when they had 3+4 1 week early
Episodes 3 and 4 were available in the United States the night of the premiere, weren't they? What was to leak?
yes my error. Sky Germany put online episode 5 the following week after 1+2+3+4, that was the day episode 3+4 aired
in the US on Showtime. Ep 5 was taken down and put up the week later
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Great episode, especially after EP12. Hearing James' song from 20 years ago was nice, I am sure JM cannot pull it off anymore this high though ;) But it was a pretty nostalgic moment.

.) Mr.C scenes were awesome, even recognized the dude from Elvira and Dr. Quinn. Accountant bit was hlarious as well.

.) Norma and her empire, who would have thought? And not together with Ed who it still bothers? Sad. I loved their romance in the original show.

.) I already said it, I feel a romance with Jacoby and Nadine coming on. Such a lovely scene that was. Probably my favorite scene of the entire episode.

.) Tom Sizemore is a fantastic actor, I really believed his remorse. But I have seen his nipples enough times. They jump at me in every scene he's in ;)

.) Dougie and Janey-E scene was lovely as well, at the back yard and in the car - I wonder how Lynch will resolve this once Coop snaps out of it.

.) Sarah scene was disturbing, she's a total drunk. So sad nobody looked after her in all these years.

All in all a good Episode. I'd say really good if I hadn't seen EP14 today that Sky put up by mistake. And man, it's all I can think about....
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:I have no idea what is going on with the timeline but is there any chance that the paper Big Ed lights on fire is the paper that Truman gets out of the tube with instructions from Major Briggs?
I thought that bit of paper was from the matches packaging. How would he have got the pages from Truman? Poor Ed though, he seems to have a very sad story to tell from what we have seen.
I have no idea but it would involve some sort of timeline twists and turns but the paper is the right size as the one that was burned and it looks like the matchbook is still intact.
Well, Ed and Bobby did move off to their own booth. Ed seemed insistent Bobby join him ("No good eating alone" - - even though there's PLENTY of patrons dining at the counter alone, all the time). It was a friendly gesture and probably nothing more. But since you mention it, I can picture the scenario where if Big Ed were up to something, as a result of being compromised from his usual good nature, then he might have found a way to sneak the paper away from Bobby when he was distracted. Or something.
The burning didn't seem random or idle like when one is bored and just lights things with matches then drop them to their ashy end. I thought it was purposeful. The Rabbit Palace instructions didn't occur to me, I thought it had something to do with Norma.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

I wonder if the town of Twin Peaks is stuck in another dimension and that's why there's all these weird loops and repeated frames... something is definitely up!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Oh one crackpot theory I forgot to mention in my piece - the kind of thing that popped into my head but I don't actually believe, but is kind of fun.

People have wondered if Richard and Linda are evil and good Cooper's kids, respectively (Richard w/ Audrey, Linda w/ Annie)? We still haven't seen Linda, even though we've heard her name but I wondered what if that Linda was a red herring, and Linda is actually Candie's real name? Amy Shiels is the right age, and Candie's wondrous innocence is somewhat reflective of Annie and good Coop (albeit exaggerated, just as Richard Horne is almost undiluted evil). And it makes more sense than the reincarnated-Laura and/or -Annie theories out there!

Ok, in all seriousness I fully expect the Linda in the trailer park to be *the* Linda. And I won't be surprised if she's Cooper's daughter with Annie although we have yet to get any evidence of that (or even conclusive evidence about Richard). But given the giant's intro it would make sense to go in that direction.

for me 2 birds with one stone is not "killing them", like the old phrase. But rather "create" 2 birds with 1 stone (ahem, testicle).
Richard and Linda are twins. Polar opposites. COL and COD.
Another thought: there are several fascinating passages in the Upanishads - and, I think, several other Hindu texts - discussing two birds, one more active the other more still and contemplative/observant, in a clear comment upon different stages of consciousness. Interesting to note Linda is in a wheelchair. Good Coop is currently in his own still/quiet space (though it's debatable how observant he is, I suppose).

In a way, I like Linda and Richard being twins more because the notion that a doppelganger's seed is tainted feels a bit hokey/misguided to me. Plus the whole/integrated Cooper spawning two diametrically opposed offspring makes more sense. Though if Audrey's the mom of both, there would either have to be a retcon hook-up before the Lodge entry/bank explosion, or it was indeed the purely evil Coop who fathered them.

If Annie's the mom of both - the solution that makes the most sense if a whole Coop fathered them - that would be hell of a misdirect haha. I'm not sure how Richard would have ended up in the Horne clan. Audrey adopts him as a coping mechanism after emerging from the hospital? It doesn't quite add up. I think the doppelganger has to be the dad of Richard, and both if they are twins. (If pre-Lodge Cooper fathered Richard's female doppelganger with Annie, it suggests that pre-Lodge Cooper is totally good which isn't quite right either.)
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

Was anyone else waiting for that suit of clothes in the shadows in Sara's living room to start walking?