Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Hockey Mask »

I have no idea what is going on with the timeline but is there any chance that the paper Big Ed lights on fire is the paper that Truman gets out of the tube with instructions from Major Briggs?
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Hockey Mask wrote:I have no idea what is going on with the timeline but is there any chance that the paper Big Ed lights on fire is the paper that Truman gets out of the tube with instructions from Major Briggs?
I thought that bit of paper was from the matches packaging. How would he have got the pages from Truman? Poor Ed though, he seems to have a very sad story to tell from what we have seen.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

krishnanspace wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: The guy with the AK and tattoo. I found him on Google+ and asked him about his role. He said he plays an Irish gangsters gang member
With those detective skills I think Albert and Gordon need you. ;)

Did anyoe notice that Mr C's face looked paler in this part? His hands were quite dark, but face seemed noticeably lighter to me.
Yup noticed that. In part 9 after he washed up hr started to look paler,
Something to keep an eye on. Is he getting lighter and lighter as he heads towards, presumably, Twin Peaks (??)

On another topic, Having seen more footage of the entrance to the offices (where they film the comings and goings from the Insurance office) I didn't realise they filmed so much on location there. Does anyone know how many days they filmed at that location? Presumably there is more to come given no one has left LV yet.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Voltaire wrote:
Jasper wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:What do we think of the significance of the ring now? Why did Mr. C make Ray put it on? And why did it disappear after his body went into the Red Room?
As I've understood it since FWWM, the ring probably dooms the wearer to death, and definitely ensures that they're taken to the lodge in short order (Jeffries, Desmond, Dougie), or upon death (Teresa Banks, Laura, and now Ray). The wearing of the ring seems to guarantee the garmonbozia of the individual to the lawful elements of the lodge (MIKE/Gerard, the Arm, maybe others). In the case of Laura, it also seems to guarantee against possession by BOB.

The contract between the chaotic BOB and the lawful MIKE seems to involve BOB being a harvester of garmonbozia. My question now is why the doppelganger had Ray wear the ring. The doppelganger didn't follow the lodge rule about going back in 25 years after his escape, so why does he seemingly obey the ring contract?

In case anyone thinks I'm being too literal in reading the lodge "mythology", please realize that I'm just looking at it from one angle, and taking that as far as I can. I've always looked at the lodge from multiple angles. Ultimately it might have no rules and might not make sense, but there are things to understand about it which tie directly into the story, so I don't think pondering this is harmful if one realizes that it's just one way of looking at things.
So I think he made Ray wear the ring for 2 purposes. 1. To possibly harvest garmanbozia. 2. More importantly, he wanted to give Mike and presumably Jefferies who might be working with Mike a bit of fuck you. Here is your assassin nice try. Just to let them know they've clearly failed.
Love reason #2. I think that's on point.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
pvilmur wrote:Not sure if this is worthy of attention but I thought the name of the coffee shop -- Szymon's -- was so unusual that I looked it up. Google essentially points to an Australian musician whose debut album was released three years after his death. Perhaps there's meaning in that fact alone, or Lynch/Frost just wanted to send this unfortunate artist a posthumous shout-out. Hmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szymon_(musician)
Pretty sure it's just a characteristically childish L/F play on "Simple Simon," who met a pieman going to the fair...a classic children's nursery rhyme. Coop buys pie there both times we see it.
Or more probably just a slavic first name. :lol:
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

TweetPeak wrote:Sky Germany customers beware Episode 13 contains Episode 14 - i Just watched it and was baffled with this thread as there was all different. We are Like the dreamer
I did pop on torrent, something I typically don't do these days, and thankfully it's not available (yet). Hopefully it will stay that way.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

thunderclap82 wrote:
TweetPeak wrote:Sky Germany customers beware Episode 13 contains Episode 14 - i Just watched it and was baffled with this thread as there was all different. We are Like the dreamer
I did pop on torrent, something I typically don't do these days, and thankfully it's not available (yet). Hopefully it will stay that way.
I don't know if I can stop myself from watching if it's out there tonight. Would be extremely difficult...
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

thunderclap82 wrote:
didnt happen last time, when they had 3+4 1 week early
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

Could someone help me understand what Audrey meant with her seemingly random "ghostwood" comment mid-sentence? It's such a bizarre non-sequitur. I'm finding it hard to hear some of the dialogue; not sure whether that is intentional?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

TweetPeak wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
didnt happen last time, when they had 3+4 1 week early
Episodes 3 and 4 were available in the United States the night of the premiere, weren't they? What was to leak?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Just when I thought I couldn't feel more repulsed by the Roadhouse scenes.

:roll:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:I have no idea what is going on with the timeline but is there any chance that the paper Big Ed lights on fire is the paper that Truman gets out of the tube with instructions from Major Briggs?
I thought that bit of paper was from the matches packaging. How would he have got the pages from Truman? Poor Ed though, he seems to have a very sad story to tell from what we have seen.
I have no idea but it would involve some sort of timeline twists and turns but the paper is the right size as the one that was burned and it looks like the matchbook is still intact.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

zeronumber wrote:The Audrey dilemna was most intriguing here.
http://dilemna.info

ThumbsUp wrote:Still think Jacoby's random reference to a big storm is odd though.
I think so too. We seemed to see the start of a big storm in one of the ambient TP scenes this ep, & -- as other viewers noticed -- there was a storm mentioned/shown in the LV weather (during one of the Mitchum brother scenes)

LateReg wrote:
Jadegive2rides wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I don't think Lynch was trolling having James up there singing that song. As someone who thought it was one of the cheesier moments from the original I oddly thought it was a really needed moment and blended perfectly with his uncle's scene following it. It was beautiful to be honest.
Did we both hear the same version of the song? Wow, it was painful. A funny homage- but still very painful.
I love the song and cried during this performance of it. Truly beautiful, surprising, and perfectly placed this deep into the show.
I love how this time round with 'Just You', the opinions are exactly as divisive with the first time. Stuck in a time loop indeed. :wink:

sycamore wrote:However, I learned who Cassius Clay fought on March 13, 1963 - one fight before Henry Cooper. It's been called the fight of the year: Cassius Clay vs Doug Jones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Jones

Yup. Doug Jones. First, Muhammad Ali fought Doug Jones, then he fought Cooper on the day listed on the big Battling Bud poster.
Sycamore, I didn't put a lot of stock in this theory when you first aired it, but you've definitely raised my eye-brows well above their usual level. Excellent work. :D
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

As for Big Ed's arson, I thought he was burning part of the match-book at first, but as it burnt & he turns it over I could've sworn I saw a face (possible pareidolia), so I took it as him trying to burn away his pining for Norma. Will keep an eye out on the eventual rewatch, although I'm sure HD pausers will unravel it before then.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

boske wrote: One thing I noticied: just like Charlie, Duncan Todd has not moved at all, he has been stationary the whole time. That is strange.
I think in one episode he walked to the safe and took some papers from it. Or something like that.