Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by sewhite2000 »

Hey, here's something for everyone to consider: the two girls performing with James are listed in the credits as Backup Singer #2 and Backup Singer #3. No mention of Backup Singer #1, and there certainly only appear to be two of them on stage. Mistake? An attempt at humor? Or an incredible moment of cosmic significance that once seen cannot be unseen and proves that time is folding in on itself and that every storyline is taking place in an alternate flash-forward timeline?
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Jasper wrote:
claaa7 wrote:i would have liked James' Roadhouse scene even more if he had sung a new take of the vocals over the classic instrumental. i believe that the neutered high pitch voice is really the only thing that makes people Think that song is so ridiciolous. it's actually a pretty well written / well orchestrated Little pop tune with a nice '50's nostalgia vibe imo and tbh I have really been waiting to see James again.
I read an interview with James Marshall a few years ago, before The Return was announced. They asked James if he'd ever be willing to perform Just You in a live setting, like at a Peaks convention or something like that. He said that he'd probably be willing to do it, but that he'd have to sing it in a lower key, because there's no way he could sing it as high as he did back then. He said that even back then it was difficult, but for some reason Lynch had wanted him to sing it like that, way higher than his comfortable singing range.
Yeah he mentions that in the oral history of Twin Peaks too. We give James such a hard time for this and it was clearly an artistic decision on David Lynch's part :D

As an aside, if you read the book - I think it's called Reflections: An oral history of Twin Peaks, James Marshall comes off as a really engaging and interesting guy. I found myself liking the character more after reading it.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

sewhite2000 wrote:Hey, here's something for everyone to consider: the two girls performing with James are listed in the credits as Backup Singer #2 and Backup Singer #3. No mention of Backup Singer #1, and there certainly only appear to be two of them on stage. Mistake? An attempt at humor? Or an incredible moment of cosmic significance that once seen cannot be unseen and proves that time is folding in on itself and that every storyline is taking place in an alternate flash-forward timeline?
Backup Singer 1 is Donna and Sheryl Lee already has a credit :D
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Anyone wonder why Laura Dern isn't in the new Twin Peaks? I find it odd, because he sure loves his leading ladies from past experiences...
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

docLEXfisti wrote:Anyone wonder why Laura Dern isn't in the new Twin Peaks? I find it odd, because he sure loves his leading ladies from past experiences...
Do you mean the Laura Dern who plays Diane Evans, or some other Laura Dern? :shock:
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

docLEXfisti wrote:Anyone wonder why Laura Dern isn't in the new Twin Peaks? I find it odd, because he sure loves his leading ladies from past experiences...
My brain hurts.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm really pissed off that Kyle McLachlan isn't in it either. Just like him to pull out on this renewal like he tried to do with FWWM.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

lol
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

She is in the alternate timeline Twin Peaks some of us are watching. Who's playing Diane in yours? It could be a clue.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Have been enjoying reading all your comments but I haven't posted my initial impressions on this part yet because I need to rewatch it. Since the airing changed times here (thanks, Skyatlantic), I've been trying to catch it earlier on lower quality streams with the result that I missed a few scenes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

Ragnell wrote:
She is in the alternate timeline Twin Peaks some of us are watching. Who's playing Diane in yours? It could be a clue.
Jeff Goldblum.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

It's a hell of a wig.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Jonah wrote:I'm really pissed off that Kyle McLachlan isn't in it either. Just like him to pull out on this renewal like he tried to do with FWWM.
My timeline has extra. I think we stole yours.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

anthoto1 wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Jeff Goldblum.
I got Laura Harring in a bunny suit and a bathrobe!
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Ragnell wrote:She is in the alternate timeline Twin Peaks some of us are watching. Who's playing Diane in yours? It could be a clue.
hahahaha ;)

sneakydave wrote:My brain hurts.
Sorry, sorry, sorry - I meant Laura Harring from Mulholland Drive. Chrysta Bell reminds me a lot of her... well, maybe I just answered my own question :)