Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by firefly2193 »

Saturn's child wrote:Ed's first line: "Bobby, get your butt back over here, it's no good eatin' alone."
And by the end of the episode, Ed, sitting, eating alone.

:cry:
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Pinky wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:
asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.
What does Ray say about the Dutchman's again?

he says 'but it's not a real place'
Right but what does he say is at the Dutchman's?
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

firefly2193 wrote:
Saturn's child wrote:Ed's first line: "Bobby, get your butt back over here, it's no good eatin' alone."
And by the end of the episode, Ed, sitting, eating alone.

:cry:

Good catch! I didn't make that connection.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Pinky wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:
asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.

Bad Cooper asked 'Phillip Jeffries' back in the first episode whether he was still 'nowhere'.... could this 'nowhere' and 'not a real place' be the Dutchman's? Is this the place of non-existence? Just a thought.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

ScarFace32 wrote:
Pinky wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:

Right but what does he say is at the Dutchman's?
Jeffries
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Just listened back.

Now convinced Charlie says 'time to end your story too?'

Also, the other 'story' is the little girl who lived down the lane, which brings to mind baa baa black sheep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

The scene with Sonny Jim gave me chills from head to toe. It seemed so sweet and at the same time, there was something under the surface. It took a moment to realize that it was that spotlight, an eerie addition due to the instances where Cooper has seen it.

Let's get deep in the pie: I picked up a mini cherry pie at the store and had already eaten half of it and put it away by the time we saw Shelly inviting Becky to come share some pie, the discussion about Norma's pie ingredients, and finally Cooper heading into the bakery as he recalled the awesome pie from the previous night's indulgence with the Mitchum Brothers.

This highlighted how out of control and voracious I can get with sweets, and reminded me that I need to slow it down -- not just with comfort food, but with everything. Even when it comes to this forum, I jump on here and inhale all the commentary, and then when it's all consumed, I feel a little empty and sad. "I shoulda taken my time, pondered it all more deeply, responded to more thoughts, and just let it sink in a bit more slowly... I've gone and rushed through it again... but I won't do that next time...".

Of course, once the series is over there won't be a next time. Better enjoy the moment, be the moment, don't rush when nothing happens twice and you can never go home again. Don't slurp your precious experiences up as if they're a bowl full of creamed corn because it's not about being there, it's about getting there. As we've heard it before: it's not about the destination but the journey.

The other side of this garmonbozia fest is that I felt slightly embarrassed having pie wth a couple episodes, as though it was a slip to fanboyism, and yet nothing prompted it other than thinking that pie and coffee would go good with the show. I'm not surprised to learn that it's basically a universal Twin Peaks thing. It makes sense that we want to experience what these characters are experiencing, and in years to come I'll probably be glad that I did since this is in all likelihood the last Twin Peaks we'll get. (Yet even as I write that, there's this strong sensation that Lynch's next film will be another Twin Peaks exploration. More of Chet Desmond's story perhaps?)

Dale in the elevator is really weird for some reason (awesome shot by the way). This guy doesn't ride on a god damn rising platform! "He's above it. Do you understand me? He's above it."

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Lots of great stuff this part -- time for the rewatch. I don't know how anyone isn't rewatching these 2 or 3 times after the first view. These parts demand multiple views.
No way dude. I haven't rewatched a single scene. Although I do sit there and analyze the thing all week from memory, for some reason it seems like going back would be sacrilege. As if I'm hammering it home rather than experiencing it fresh and then moving on to other things. Just as with the previous two seasons, I always let plenty of time elapse between viewings, and during that interim certain elements will gestate while others are forgotten. Come the next rewatch, I am astonished at how much I've forgotten, yet that very fact also makes the revisit fresh again, and I'm always glad.

sewhite2000 wrote:Something really horrible taking place offscreen at the Vegas police station, just before the Fuscos trash DougieCoop's fingerprints.
It made me think that Hutch and Chantal had arrived!

mtwentz wrote:I guess if there were two weaknesses to this episode, which I feel may have been one of the strongest yet, it's the fact that 1) Ray does not move to get DoppelCoop killed right away, knowing how dangerous he is, and 2) DoppelCoop is shown to have Nadine Hurley like 'super strength'.
1) Based on what Ray says when Dale shows up, he's already told their boss all about him and how dangerous he is. Once Dale gets up to their level, Ray prompts him to take immediate action but gets shut down.

2) I'm with you there, but it's a tough one when you go to dissect it, because the arm wrestling was such a good scene and it gripped our interest. It couldn't happen without Dale possessing impossible strength, and yet we ask ourselves if he really needs to be portrayed like this since he's already supernatural in other ways. At the end of the day, I'm going to take interesting over sensible, so to speak.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Has anyone not noticed Nadine's arm idiosyncrasies during the scene with Dr. Amp?

Her arms shift a couple of times during the exchange shots.

Of course after the Ed revelations... I was keeping a close eye on Nadine and Jacoby's reflections in Run Silent windows. Didnt catch anything quite...except the continuity slips. Watch Nadines arms...

(probably a gaffe but..????)

Anyone else?

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Shloogorgh wrote:
Mr. Jackpots wrote: I also belive Bob is still with Mr.C. I'm not sure if Jefferies is so much interested in Bob. As he may be after the garmonbonzia.
I was firmly in the camp that the woodsmen removed BOB, but now I admit that seems to be wrong.

I'm very curious what the relationship between Mr C and the woodsmen is. Were they trying to steal BOB but were unable? Were they trying to heal Mr C to ensure BOB stayed inside him? Are they a distinct faction from the Mr C/BOB/"Jeffries" factions? We still have no idea why "Jeffries" wants to "be with BOB again"
I think the Woodsman were trying to ensure that Bob maintained intact inside Cooper.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

1.) Its worth noting the spotlight is chasing Sonny Jim as he moves around his playground. Remimds me not just of the spotlight in S2 but a searchlight. Reflective of Dale moving through this wonderful Vegas playground, innocent as a child, unaware that there are dark forces searching for him. I don't think it forbodes definite death for the boy, but it shows tragedy is searching for this family even as they enjoy this moment of bliss.

2.) Ed's reflection and the Double R edit in Part 7 remind me of two things: The Overlook Hotel and Dorothy's apartment building in Blue Velvet. Spatial impossibilities that aren't a plot point, but are there on purpose to create a feeling of unease in the viewer. Only with the Ed scene he clearly feels the unease too. His reflection repeats itself, the car repeats.. he's feeling an eerie sense of deja vu?

3.)
KyleRickards wrote:
Jasper wrote:
KyleRickards wrote: Interesting how DougieCoop can't say I love you but can repeat other things... (happened twice now I think)
As far as I can recall he repeated "love you" to Janey-E when they were in bed.
I'll have to go back but I'm sure he didn't as people were thinking that was a perfect time for him to relate something and he didn't (after Janey E says 'I love you ' after funtime!)
He repeats her. Says "Love You" There was a disagreement over whether or not he knew what he was saying. Some people thought it was faster than normal.

I think not repeating it here but repeating it after sex means he comprehends the emotional weight of the phrase. He repeats it when steeped in affection, contentment and human connection after his first sexual encounter in 25 long years. Later, he hears it but doesn't feel the same weight as he did before.

I believe Dale loves Janey-E and Sonny Jim as humans who are sharing his life and caring for him (and simple human contact after 25 years among those spirits is HUGE and must be like being born into a family) but either he doesn't quite comprehend the idea of wife and son or he DOES and knows that this isnt fully that. That the assumption he us Dougie prevents the true him from being bonded to them. Or most likely, both. He knows there is something false here but doesn't consciously comprehend it.
Last edited by Ragnell on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

sylvia_north wrote: Season 1 people were jumping all over the old film references, and the ensemble of directors imitated these style markers. but screwing with technical stuff is fun, too. I can't wait for the Did You Notice Compendiums for Return. http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2014/11/ ... vtwin.html the more things change, the more they stay the same.
That link you provided - - Bravo! I will enjoy browsing this for some time. The quibbling nature of some of the post-ers then rings QUITE familiar! ; )
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

So if Ray was sent to the Black Lodge because of the ring...that means Laura was sent there after BOB killed her in the train car in FWWM?

I always wondered what she was doing there and how she got there...extremely odd...and really cool at the same time :D
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

kafa81 wrote:So if Ray was sent to the Black Lodge because of the ring...that means Laura was sent there after BOB killed her in the train car in FWWM?

I always wondered what she was doing there and how she got there...extremely odd...and really cool at the same time :D
Interesting. Does this mean that we should be expecting to encounter Theresa Banks in the Black Lodge as well? She wore the ring prior to being killed, but then it was missing from the finger of her corpse (just like with Ray).
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

BigEd wrote:
kafa81 wrote:So if Ray was sent to the Black Lodge because of the ring...that means Laura was sent there after BOB killed her in the train car in FWWM?

Interesting. Does this mean that we should be expecting to encounter Theresa Banks in the Black Lodge as well? She wore the ring prior to being killed, but then it was missing from the finger of her corpse (just like with Ray).
No. Neither Caroline nor Maddy wore it and yet they were there.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

boske wrote:
BigEd wrote:

No. Neither Caroline nor Maddy wore it and yet they were there.
Anyone can end up in the lodge, as Hawk recounts that all souls must pass through there on the way to perfection (and there they will meet their shadow selves). That said, what Cooper sees in the lodge is not necessarily there. For instance, he sees Caroline during his lodge battle with Earle, but this is most likely because Earle is screwing with Cooper's mind the entire time and appears to be causing Cooper to hallucinate (until BOB puts an end to it). Even Annie (or one vision of Annie) turns into Earle. Earle's face even appears in quick flashes of the screaming Laura doppelganger.

The other thing I'd say is that just because people end up in the lodge doesn't mean that any other person who ends up in the lodge will see them.