Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by TweetPeak »

that re-used shovel s**t scene crashed into the Audrey and Charlie scene.
On purpose
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations.
Yep. :lol:
I don't really get it. The mantra on here has been that he creates his art without concern for the viewers. So which is it? His pure vision of how this should be, or active trolling?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

The Gazebo wrote:
dronerstone wrote:Those who already stopped watching halfway through: it wasn't meant for you from the beginning. How can you judge if you've only watched 12/18 parts anyway? It's like standing up and leaving a theatre after seeing 50 minutes of a 90 minute film.
No, it would be like leaving the theatre after 12 hours. You can't use simple maths for this.
Sorry then, but it seems some don't pass the patience test anymore nowadays. You either watch a series, or you don't. Lynch is being Lynch here, so it's up to you to decide if you like what you see, but I'd (personally) rather keep on watching than saying "I quit" after only seeing two thirds of the ordeal.

Don't wanna argue, but it's a matter of taste rather than a matter of quality. This is "art", not "craft", after all.

Anyhoo, re: Diane, some phones I suppose I prefer tapped. Never thought I'd say this. Ever. Literally no idea if this is Jeffries or "C".

PS: Best thing in the seccond half? The little guy with the HUGE desk overflowing with paperwork, going all "Do you see this? I have work to do! I'm already getting sleepy". Typical Lynchian humor and kinda Kafka-eque at the same time. :)
Last edited by dronerstone on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Maybe Dastmalchian just thought he could deduce what would happen next and therefore made the tweet. It could still be he knows about how after part 11's events in the Coop storyline, shit should start hitting the fan; he just didn't expect an episode with only 10 seconds of Dougie.

So, part 13. hype train? All aboard?! I'm riding it anyway, regardless of anyone's tweets. Next stop: 48°55'14.2"N 117°39'5.6"W... Choo choo!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Soolsma wrote:Maybe Dastmalchian just thought he could deduce what would happen next and therefore made the tweet. It could still be he knows about how after part 11's events in the Coop storyline, shit should start hitting the fan; he just didn't expect an episode with only 10 seconds of Dougie.

So, part 13. hype train? All aboard?! I'm riding it anyway, regardless of anyone's tweets. Next stop: 48°55'14.2"N 117°39'5.6"W... Choo choo!
Count me in.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

dronerstone wrote:Sorry then, but it seems some don't pass the patience test anymore nowadays. You either watch a series, or you don't. Lynch is being Lynch here, so it's up to you to decide if you like what you see, but I'd (personally) rather keep on watching than saying "I quit" after only seeing two thirds of the ordeal.
I think you'll find that even the most disappointed fans are sticking with it, while some might wait for the whole thing to become available. It doesn't seem like many are quitting, but people should at least be able to pass judgement on the 12 hours they've seen so far. The pace will definitely pick up, but I'm not sure the show will become radically different.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The Sarah Palmer scenes were absolutely riveting. The Frank/Ben scene was also amazing, great acting by both actors. The FBI scenes were decent, although the Blue Rose cases scene was a bit too expository. Didn't like the french girl scene that much, way too self-indulgent even for Lynch's standards. Not sure what to think of Audrey, I need to see more and see what's the actual storyline. They way she was introduced after the Dr. Amp scene worked but re-using the same footage was a bit lazy. The weakest episode for sure but still there was good stuff in it. I just hope that there's enough time to conclude the story. It all seems so much up in the air at this point. What will happen with Coop? Where's Mr C.? How Sheryl Lee will feature into story, especially considering
Spoiler:
the big scene they filmed back in October '15 in the Palmer House.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

The Gazebo wrote:
I think you'll find that even the most disappointed fans are sticking with it, while some might wait for the whole thing to become available. It doesn't seem like many are quitting, but people should at least be able to pass judgement on the 12 hours they've seen so far. The pace will definitely pick up, but I'm not sure the show will become radically different.
That's true! I like what I've seen so far, but I totally agree the pace HAS to go WAY up within the next third. No way to end this now with such little time left and things not getting really dense, thick and fast this coming sunday night. I mean, Coop is still stranded in the desert thinking he's Dougie Jones.

At least we got to learn who "Charlie" is.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Panapaok wrote:
Spoiler:
the big scene they filmed back in October '15 in the Palmer House.
Hence Turkey Jerky: The Return.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

I am really surprised (and a little bit disappointed) about the Laura Palmer screen time so far. I thought she was gonna be a HUGE presence in Coop journey. Idk, maybe she will be in next episodes.
Laura's the one, but he haven't seen her almost at all.

Even if I got the feeeling that she was the one in Sarah Palmer kitchen. Maybe she returned to her home :lol:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

If Preston is about to be briefed as a new member of the Blue Rose task force, will we be getting a scene akin to the one involving Cole's mother' sister's girl?

Oh yeah. Just checked back to hear Ben indeed say: ''Richard never had a father''. This could also mean that Johnny Horne was never able to be a father for him.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

mtwentz wrote:
Robot Butler wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Also, do we really need to see the warden getting killed? Is it really important for the story going forward?
It establishes they are a threat and mean business, like the triple homicide with Ike earlier this season.
Yeah, I guess but I thought that was already established with the dead farmers.
To me it established they were professional. If they were malicious and chaotic they'd have killed the kid too.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Robot Butler wrote:
It establishes they are a threat and mean business, like the triple homicide with Ike earlier this season.
Yeah, I guess but I thought that was already established with the dead farmers.
To me it established they were professional. If they were malicious and chaotic they'd have killed the kid too.
They were discussing torturing the warden for quite some time before the hit, like torture is a regular indulgence for them. That's pretty f'ing malicious. As for not shooting the kid, they weren't instructed to kill him by the boss man, so they're professional in that sense (or at least scared to get out of line), but they're evil people.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Framed_Angel wrote:One of the few intriguing moments for me, was when Ben instructed Beverly to arrange to pay for hospital treatment of "Miriam... I forget her last name."
Are we going to go down this road again, wondering whether the correct Miriam will be identified in a way that aids whichever arc of any of these stories is heading? LOL there will turn out to be another Miriam also at the hospital -- wackiness ensues!
I was thinking the same thing :lol: Perhaps there is another Miriam at the hospital who needs an appendix surgery.

Not that it really matters to the story now. Sheriff Truman already knows it was Richard Horne who assaulted her so either they have questioned Miriam or they got her letter despite Chad's intervention.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

The Gazebo wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations.
Yep. :lol:
I don't really get it. The mantra on here has been that he creates his art without concern for the viewers. So which is it? His pure vision of how this should be, or active trolling?
People are grasping for straws at this point to justify the drop off in quality. Parts 11 and 12 were both very weak with the latter taking the cake. 80% filler material, 10% ham-fisted exposition ("your brother Harry", blue rose cases origin, Audrey standing around for 10-100 minutes), and 10% good stuff (Sarah Palmer, Cole's hotel girl). Hopefully things will get better from here.