Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturn's child »

I know it's not likely, but I so hope he's floating.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Smirnoff vodka is distilled in corn, Gvori vodka in wheat. Albert and company may have chosen gvori specifically to allow for The Arm to gain control over Diane?
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

bastia wrote:There is something that really troubled me. Even if we don't know the character it is really really really strange that a person drinks all that alcohol. Everytime we see her she drinks, we can see that she desperately need it.
Of course we don't give it too much attention, because it seems normal in the object of diane's character.
But.. What if it isn't?
Think about philippe gerard, who used the special drug to keep the possession of his body, against MIKE.
What if the alcohol is a poison who keep the evil spirit in control, doing the opposite of drug?
Idk if I am right. But I am sure that the alcohol has something to do with diane's main story.
If you rewatch the return thinking about that, you will also find it peculiar.
Ah, I was working with your idea from reddit ,,, That the corn vs wheat vodka may have different effects
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Not saying there's no stock in the corn vodka theory, but is it that hard to imagine that perhaps characters like Diane and Sarah are simply alcoholics? We know Sarah's been through some real bad shit, and Diane probably has too - not that out of the question for them to be numbing the emotional pain from their trauma with alcohol, plain and simple.

As for whether it's Charlie in that picture... I really like the idea that it's him, but to my eyes it looks like someone else - the torso seems too long to be Charlie. That being said, the guy in the photo is wrapped in some strange big coat/blanket that makes it hard to tell.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

Snailhead wrote:Not saying there's no stock in the corn vodka theory, but is it that hard to imagine that perhaps characters like Diane and Sarah are simply alcoholics? We know Sarah's been through some real bad shit, and Diane probably has too - not that out of the question for them to be numbing the emotional pain from their trauma with alcohol, plain and simple.

As for whether it's Charlie in that picture... I really like the idea that it's him, but to my eyes it looks like someone else - the torso seems too long to be Charlie. That being said, the guy in the photo is wrapped in some strange big coat/blanket that makes it hard to tell.
Doesn't look like Charlie at all to me.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Voided wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:Inspired by the discovery of the T. S. Elliot book in the Audrey scene and its apparent ruminations on time and space, what is going on with time in this show?

So far the further the show has progressed, the more it has shown us that it is a purely linear story free from alternate timelines or differences in time between sections. As far as I can see, every main story line has crossed paths with the others by this point, ruling out the idea that one is set in the future or past. If anyone thinks this is wrong I'd love to hear.

So why then is there such a focus on time in the script? The repeated use of the dialogue "Is it past...or is it future?" would seem baffling if the whole show took place in the present with a pure linear timeline. Furthermore, has anyone got any closer to understanding what occurred in the Purple Room sequence in Part 3? This fascinates me. Would love to hear others thoughts.
Well, the past or future line originates from the first seasons. Then there's the line about the darkness of futures past....so it could be a commentary on the revival itself.
I still feel there's more to this line - I don't think they would have this line repeated, in dialogue spoken to Cooper, just to be self-referential. I feel like it may also link in with Part 8 with the Giant sending the Laura orb, but i'm not sure. Time is a flat circle?
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

Saela wrote:
Snailhead wrote:Not saying there's no stock in the corn vodka theory, but is it that hard to imagine that perhaps characters like Diane and Sarah are simply alcoholics? We know Sarah's been through some real bad shit, and Diane probably has too - not that out of the question for them to be numbing the emotional pain from their trauma with alcohol, plain and simple.

Well, two people that don't look alike would, for example, be OJ Simpson and Michael J. Anderson.

There sure is a troubling resemblance between Charlie and the guy on the picture.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

anthoto1 wrote:
Saela wrote:

Well, two people that don't look alike would, for example, be OJ Simpson and Michael J. Anderson.

There sure is a troubling resemblance between Charlie and the guy on the picture.
I can see how people might think it's Charlie...but it's just not the same person. Feel free to quote me if it turns out I'm wrong :)
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

On board with the possibility of a clever duck like Diane using mnemonics to record a string of numbers...but i think she is a couple of steps ahead in that she may just know that whatever these coordinates as written on this woman's arm are "almost" correct. I think that maybe her intell has provided that the the true location is these coordinates "+2".

Not unlike the "Staff of Ra" gimmick from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where it was foundation on the reverse of the medallion that you must subtract a cubit of length from the staff to the true location of the Ark in that wild map room diorama.

Diane may have secured this from Dark Coop?

...or Jeffries?

So by adding +2 she has the real indication of the true intended location.
(This begs the question of why are the acutal numbers false on her arm. I say either for security, or someone is trying to be misleading.)

And if this is all so, while the Blue Rose Task Force may know that the coordinates point to somwhere in the northwest, Diane may now be the only person at this point who has the conundrum of knowing the true indication points to Twin Peaks ~

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I can't imagine why Ruth would write down the wrong numbers. I feel very confident the "+2" are just the last two numbers that didn't fit into the rest of Diane's memorization scheme.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

They can be alcoholics and hosts of lodge spirits at the same time, is that not possible? Sarah only being interested in Smirnoff is hard to ignore.

With Charlie I could see Lynch making him appear super tiny in one scene and massive in another, just because.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

"In the heat of investigative pursuit, the shortest distance between two points is not necessarily a straight line."

Anyway yes, it can simply be that. I don't want to impose strange theories. But it seems peculiar that they show that so much. Of course it can surely be because of diane's troubled past.

Still i have re watched episode 7, just after gordon hugged her she drinks vodka. Like the effect of it is vanishing, and gordon noticed that in hugging her.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

dropkick23 wrote:
Snailhead wrote:Not saying there's no stock in the corn vodka theory, but is it that hard to imagine that perhaps characters like Diane and Sarah are simply alcoholics?
They can be alcoholics and hosts of lodge spirits at the same time, is that not possible? Sarah only being interested in Smirnoff is hard to ignore.
For an alcolholic to leave the bottles behind at the store, what happened must have been some pretty hardcore Lodge stuff.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:I'm increasingly fascinated by Jeffries. Reading up on theories about him written prior to The Return (how, in the Lodge, because of the weird effects of time, Jeffries may have encountered Cooper or his doppelgänger, and that's why he responds to Cooper the way he does in FWWM)
I thought that was what we were supposed to take from it right off the bat. Did people have other theories about it or something? I don't see any other way to read it.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Does anyone still find it strange that Albert was supposedly working with Jeffries without Cole's knowledge. I'm assuming Cole was the head of the Blue Rose Taskforce. Why was he kept out of the loop? Or have I misinterpreted Albert's dialogue from way back when (part 3 or 4 maybe?).