Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

cgs027 wrote:
firefly2193 wrote: Also how on earth was it plotted that there would be this whole plot line about Miriam's letter to the police station getting intercepted, only for the police to magically figure it all out off screen? If someone can come up with a rationale for writing that plot that way, I'd love to hear it.
The ONLY thing I can think of is that Chad may get his comeuppance via Richard if the latter finds out he is being tracked down (and thus assumes Chad dropped the ball with the letter snatching). Of course, if he hears that Miriam survived, this is a total moot point.

Then again, seems that most of the sheriff's dept is going to be very busy with another adventure in the next day or two, so I don't know who would be tracking him down in the first place!

But agreed, very strange and seemingly unnecessary (unless they are just throwing red herrings out there to have you follow one thread only to have it dead end, which is possible).
Frank and co. found out about Miriam's attacker straight from the horse's mouth - but not before Deputy Chad was witnessed by Lucy intercepting the mail. At the time, Lucy was unable to see him pocket anything, but her suspicion was very clear -- and Miriam is certain now to ask about that letter! (Will grant you it seems like it should've come up already, but then again, there would be no reason for Frank to mention this detail to Ben. Expect the next episode will make things completely clear.)

Whenever Frank consults with Lucy about the mail, she's going to know Chad was up to something a few days before... Chad leads to Red, and Red leads not only back to Richard again, but quite possibly, to much more.
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

All the scenes with Sarah were pure gold. That was also the highlight of the episode for me. I kinda liked the Audrey scene but I'm getting a bit worried about the fact that there are now even more new characters introduced and mentioned that we don't know much about. There are 6 more episodes to go so it is VERY interesting to see how they are going to make all this work. I mean all the new characters etc... they have to have at least some kind of meaning in the end.

To me this might have been the weakest episode of the season, but I'm still hopeful. The scenes with Sarah showed me that those final episodes could still be brilliant if we get more and more scenes like that.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Snailhead wrote:I loved this episode. The Sarah scenes were phenomenal, as was Ben's material.

I am shocked at the reaction on here to "cole's girl" - I ADORED that scene. That was the funniest scene of the new series for me.

The only part I didn't like was the Nadine / Jacoby scene. As others have noted, it was a recycling of previously shown material.
I also love this part -- not episode -- and I think people should ask themselves, take the next step in the thought process, and ask themselves why the Jacoby scenes might be "recycled" n terms of story and theme?

Instead, for some reason, people assume this is some kind of mistake. Try beginning with the possibility that it's intentional, and you begin to see that intention.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Esselgee wrote:Did anyone else think that it was going to be Jean-Michel Renault in the hospital bed at first?

Is that the first we've seen inside the Twin Peaks hospital this season? There were many scenes there during the original series, of course.
haha, yes I did
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So was Ben worried when Frank mentioned they were looking into some old cases related to Agent Cooper that it might be bad for him. Ben likely doesn't know anything about Agent Cooper have "disappeared". He may think that old cases could relate to him (i.e. One-Eyed Jacks, Jean Renault, etc.).
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Snailhead wrote:The only part I didn't like was the Nadine / Jacoby scene. As others have noted, it was a recycling of previously shown material.
I also love this part -- not episode -- and I think people should ask themselves, take the next step in the thought process, and ask themselves why the Jacoby scenes might be "recycled" n terms of story and theme?

Instead, for some reason, people assume this is some kind of mistake. Try beginning with the possibility that it's intentional, and you begin to see that intention.
Agreed.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Troubbble wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
firefly2193 wrote: Also how on earth was it plotted that there would be this whole plot line about Miriam's letter to the police station getting intercepted, only for the police to magically figure it all out off screen? If someone can come up with a rationale for writing that plot that way, I'd love to hear it.
The ONLY thing I can think of is that Chad may get his comeuppance via Richard if the latter finds out he is being tracked down (and thus assumes Chad dropped the ball with the letter snatching). Of course, if he hears that Miriam survived, this is a total moot point.

Then again, seems that most of the sheriff's dept is going to be very busy with another adventure in the next day or two, so I don't know who would be tracking him down in the first place!

But agreed, very strange and seemingly unnecessary (unless they are just throwing red herrings out there to have you follow one thread only to have it dead end, which is possible).
Frank and co. found out about Miriam's attacker straight from the horse's mouth - but not before Deputy Chad was witnessed by Lucy intercepting the mail. At the time, Lucy was unable to see him pocket anything, but her suspicion was very clear -- and Miriam is certain now to ask about that letter! (Will grant you it seems like it should've come up already, but then again, there would be no reason for Frank to mention this detail to Ben. Expect the next episode will make things completely clear.)

Whenever Frank consults with Lucy about the mail, she's going to know Chad was up to something a few days before... Chad leads to Red, and Red leads not only back to Richard again, but quite possibly, to much more.
I'm glad that they figured all of this out off screen. Once again, unorthodox writing. But that doesn't make it bad. It just means that Lynch/Frost decided that showing every detail into their investigation of the hit and run and Richard needed to be shown. It's really incredible how many scenes in this hint at life taking place off screen, whether it is stuff we don't see (like the investigation) or stuff we do see (like all the locals in the Roadhouse who are there to illuminate the town rather than the plot).
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Wonderful & Strange wrote: Try beginning with the possibility that it's intentional, and you begin to see that intention.
This doesn't sounds like a good way to look at things at all.

"Assume things are the way you want them to be, and things will start to appear to be the way you want them to be."

How is that a path to truth?

It's like some people think Lynch is incapable of producing something that contains mistakes or something that's just plain not compelling to watch.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Esselgee wrote:Did anyone else think that it was going to be Jean-Michel Renault in the hospital bed at first?

Is that the first we've seen inside the Twin Peaks hospital this season? There were many scenes there during the original series, of course.
I'm pretty sure the hospital hallway footage was reused from the original show.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Ross wrote: I came here to hear Audrey's reaction. Personally, I don't know what to think about the Audrey scene... I can see parallels to Catherine, which is interesting. But man, the lives of our characters seem increasingly depressing. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Same!
So sorry, at the fest and can't properly respond. And then I posted something that I thought was obvious about the Audrey scene.... But think the intent of the scene is to frustrate us into thinking she is married and involved with all these people she's mentioned. And I believe the scene we saw is not what it seems.
Interesting... I was definitely thinking about you during this scene. I'm very interested to see where this takes us. I'm still baffled that none of the other Hornes mention Audrey.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Wonderful & Strange wrote: Instead, for some reason, people assume this is some kind of mistake. Try beginning with the possibility that it's intentional, and you begin to see that intention.
No, not a mistake but a bad judgment from the creators' part what comes to writing and editing the show.

No matter how there will be a payoff to the whole thing it still doesn't hide the fact that part of the road to that payoff was boring and badly written. Why not have an interesting and well written road to that payoff instead of what it is now?

I don't care how great scifi twist happens with that Jacoby stuff. It doesn't make his rants any less boring to listen for the umpteenth time.

LateReg wrote: I'm glad that they figured all of this out off screen. Once again, unorthodox writing. But that doesn't make it bad. It just means that Lynch/Frost decided that showing every detail into their investigation of the hit and run and Richard needed to be shown. It's really incredible how many scenes in this hint at life taking place off screen, whether it is stuff we don't see (like the investigation) or stuff we do see (like all the locals in the Roadhouse who are there to illuminate the town rather than the plot).
Yeah, more plot details off screen. Dougie needs to be turned into Cooper off screen.
They need more super long Audrey scenes and Jacoby rantings on screen. And guys sweeping floors. And bands playing music. Then you REALLY can make your own Twin Peaks in your own head!
That's what really is ingeniously unorthodox and brilliant.

:wink:
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Ross wrote:

Yeah and I think it was a still image with a digital zoom.

And yeah I first thought it was Jean-Michel too :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rami Airola wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote: Instead, for some reason, people assume this is some kind of mistake. Try beginning with the possibility that it's intentional, and you begin to see that intention.
No, not a mistake but a bad judgment from the creators' part what comes to writing and editing the show.
I don't think the repeated Jacoby/Nadine footage had anything to do with writing. Seems 100% an editing decision.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rami Airola wrote:
Ross wrote:

Yeah and I think it was a still image with a digital zoom.
Agreed.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

I almost hope Sarah is possessed by Bob. An evil Sarah would be the scariest creature since...well, Bob.