Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Framed_Angel »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Questions:
1) Crazy woman in the car with the zombie kid (he or she?) mentions an uncle. Do we know any important uncle in TP?
If you've seen Fire Walk With Me, the movie, you'll recall that Agent Desmond queries Agent Stanley about the wording Gordon Cole used when describing "Lil" as "my mother's sister's girl" and Desmond asks Stanley "What was left out of that [phrasing]?" Answer: an uncle, i.e. "I'm her uncle."** But it didn't get explored beyond that, not to my knowledge.

I am intrigued with seeing Rodney's wound from Candie smacking him, how it was discovered to be healed up at the time when he and his brother were to kill off Dougie -- but his brother Bradley[?] pointed out the wound was healed. As if to lend further credence to Bradley's dream, that it should be taken seriously as the healed injury on Rodney's face. There is a passage in the new Testament where Pilate's wife argues with him that he shouldn't execute Jesus because she had a dream about him (or maybe she encouraged Pilate to execute him? Can't remember)... But it's a new direction for the supernatural to take with TPTR, IMO, that characters are paying attention to and making decisions according to circumstance that can't be explained by regular [natural] means~

** EDITED to add: actually, that would make Gordon her cousin not her uncle. But, someone recently mentioned on these boards how the role of Uncle would be paramount to the developments of TPTR. I just can't recall where I saw that reference to an Uncle but I thought it tied back in with FWWM.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Not sure if this has been pointed out. But can we presume that MIKE was helping DougieCoop this episode?

First by getting into the dreams of the Mitchum brothers and implanting the idea of the cherry pie in a box. And then secondly, leading DougieCoop into a shop to purchase a cherry pie for the meeting.

I wonder if there was a scene that was written or filmed of DougieCoop trying to buy a pie. And seeing MIKE dancing on the pies speaking to Coop from another place.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

asselta wrote:Rodney Mitchum eating garmonbozia/creamed corn?

Apropos of nothing: I love how Lynch's oeuvre seems to involve a lamp of some kind being present in every significant scene. I first noticed it with Log Lady's scenes, because I have a beaded lampshade that's similar to what is on her table as she speaks. Now with the Mitchum screencap, eating breakfast even just this scene there had to be a red-shaded or -hooded lamp! The table lamps are all over the place, whether in Part 8 or in the living area Betty Briggs brings the deputies into or in Nadine's little sanctuary watching Dr. Amp. These lamps are all over the place, I suppose to represent electricity everywhere but they also lend an aesthetic presence~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Framed_Angel wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Questions:
1) Crazy woman in the car with the zombie kid (he or she?) mentions an uncle. Do we know any important uncle in TP?
If you've seen Fire Walk With Me, the movie, you'll recall that Agent Desmond queries Agent Stanley about the wording Gordon Cole used when describing "Lil" as "my mother's sister's girl" and Desmond asks Stanley "What was left out of that [phrasing]?" Answer: an uncle, i.e. "I'm her uncle."** But it didn't get explored beyond that, not to my knowledge.

I am intrigued with seeing Rodney's wound from Candie smacking him, how it was discovered to be healed up at the time when he and his brother were to kill off Dougie -- but his brother Bradley[?] pointed out the wound was healed. As if to lend further credence to Bradley's dream, that it should be taken seriously as the healed injury on Rodney's face. There is a passage in the new Testament where Pilate's wife argues with him that he shouldn't execute Jesus because she had a dream about him (or maybe she encouraged Pilate to execute him? Can't remember)... But it's a new direction for the supernatural to take with TPTR, IMO, that characters are paying attention to and making decisions according to circumstance that can't be explained by regular [natural] means~

** EDITED to add: actually, that would make Gordon her cousin not her uncle. But, someone recently mentioned on these boards how the role of Uncle would be paramount to the developments of TPTR. I just can't recall where I saw that reference to an Uncle but I thought it tied back in with FWWM.
I thought it was because uncle was what was left out of the description.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I thought the story was that Sheriff Cable's uncle was in a federal prison (South Dakota?).
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

Jerry Horne wrote:Anyone know who played the piano player? Looked familiar?
Smokey Miles http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1493617/
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Looked to me like Rodney was eating Corn Puffs, although there was no box on the table, curiously, like the box of Raisin Bran. He was absolutely sure he was going to stop with one bowl and put the box back in the pantry already?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:Not sure if this has been pointed out. But can we presume that MIKE was helping DougieCoop this episode?

First by getting into the dreams of the Mitchum brothers and implanting the idea of the cherry pie in a box. And then secondly, leading DougieCoop into a shop to purchase a cherry pie for the meeting.

I wonder if there was a scene that was written or filmed of DougieCoop trying to buy a pie. And seeing MIKE dancing on the pies speaking to Coop from another place.
Yes, we see Mike beckoning DougieCoop over to the store where he obtains the cherry pie. I assumed he planted the dream as well.

I discussed o a previous post how difficult it would be for DougieCoop to buy a pie, given his mental state, but another poster immediately let me know his boss bought the pie instead.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

TheGum wrote:After her reaction in the prison scene I still find it extremely unlikely that Diane is in cahoots with Dopplecoop. I think its way more likely she's cooperating under duress or fear
Really? But she seemed so cold watching the woodsman approach the car.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I also thought for about five seconds the girl in the car had been shot and no one had initially recognized it, but it turned out to be something maybe less immediately fatal but a lot scarier. Is she a victim of Sparkle, like Rash Girl? Or was it just weird and scary for the sake of being of weird and scary and will never be mentioned again?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

As I recall, BOB told Cooper he was going to take Earle's soul, and then he appeared to do so. I don't know we can confirm that Earle is dead in a traditional sense, but at best his body is in something equivalent to a vegetative state in the Lodge with no soul to spark it to action.

Leo was last seen in an insidious death trap made by Earle 25 years, ago. Since Lynch removed his rescue scene from the script of the final episode, I think we can presume he was killed. He definitely did NOT return to father Becky who then grew up to kill him as was posited on here and a couple of other websites I went to.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

pvilmur wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Anyone know who played the piano player? Looked familiar?
Smokey Miles http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1493617/
Thanks P!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

sewhite2000 wrote:I also thought for about five seconds the girl in the car had been shot and no one had initially recognized it, but it turned out to be something maybe less immediately fatal but a lot scarier. Is she a victim of Sparkle, like Rash Girl? Or was it just weird and scary for the sake of being of weird and scary and will never be mentioned again?
Wasn't the girl missing hair, like she was going thru chemo?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

The final scene of episode 18: Norma finishes her paperwork.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Ross wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:I also thought for about five seconds the girl in the car had been shot and no one had initially recognized it, but it turned out to be something maybe less immediately fatal but a lot scarier. Is she a victim of Sparkle, like Rash Girl? Or was it just weird and scary for the sake of being of weird and scary and will never be mentioned again?
Wasn't the girl missing hair, like she was going thru chemo?
She had a very short hair cut