Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Overall, I take this as very good news, and proof of what I'd been hoping -- that the streaming numbers show that The Return is doing much better than people here have claimed:
Still, 2 million total viewers is a higher number than expected, just as one-third of the viewership coming from streaming is a higher ratio than we could have assumed. That’s good news for Showtime’s young OTT platform, and good news for the show overall. To boot, the linear ratings are climbing, ever so slightly.
:D

I don't see why this wouldn't make Showtime think that a Season 4 would do even better.
Well, some of the things in that article are somewhat positive, but I found there to be a heavy cloud hanging over the entire piece.

Another thing is that this piece is from a few weeks ago. Part 9 was the live ratings peak (since parts 1 & 2). Part 11 had the lowest live viewing ratings in the U.S. since parts 3 & 4. I'm hoping that things turn around, but we should be realistic and try to look at the stats in a dispassionate manner.

I'd like more Peaks, but this doesn't mean that I assume that there will be more Peaks. If I was forced to place a wager, I'd probably bet against it, but I nevertheless believe that it's within the realm of possibility. To take a wild guess, today I'd place its chances at about, oh, 30% or so.

I've heard it said a few times that people want more Peaks because they want a return to the cozy, quirky, spooky, town-in-a-bubble feel of the original series. I unabashedly love that look and feel, but I very much enjoy The Return, so when I talk about a continuation, I'm talking about whatever direction Lynch and Frost are inspired to take it.
dronerstone wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:On a Season 4: I honestly think part of why David Lynch wouldn't even comment on the likelihood of another season yet is....
Didn't he already comment positively on a Season 4?
Nope. Everything we've heard so far is just "nevver say never". Even Kyle MacLachlan said something among the lines of "if it happens, I'd be happy to join" iirc.

Let's talk about this again in September - as we might be in for a closer then.
ONE MORE TIME :lol: ...

Mark Frost
(The credit for assembling these Mark Frost quotes goes to Agent Earle)

From https://www.buzzfeed.com/jacelacob/twin ... gf37lJRgYM about the "finality" of the new series:

Is this limited series meant to offer a sense of finality at the end, or is it another prism through which you can view the series as a whole?

MF: I'd hate to prejudge for people what their perceptions should be, or even to direct them. I always like, as you know, the work to speak for itself. It's too early really to answer this question, I guess is a long-winded way of saying that. We'll let people tell us what they think, and how they feel, and we'll go from there.

From http://tvline.com/2014/10/06/twin-peaks ... -spoilers/ directly about the possibility of further return:

If it’s a success, could there be more?

MF: We’ve learned never to say never. Anything is a possibility.

From http://deadline.com/2014/10/twin-peaks- ... ew-846363/ again directly about continuing beyond S3:

Is the limited series definitely the end of the Twin Peaks franchise or you would be open for more?

MF: That’s sort of what we thought the last time, and look what happened. I wouldn’t think it will take us 25 years to decide the next time around — I hope it wouldn’t because it would be a lot harder to do the work then — but I think anything’s possible to be honest, given that this is happening.

Kyle MacLachlan

Associated Press
Thursday, May 18, 2017
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... s-after-d/

When asked if the revival could give us even more than these 18 parts, Kyle said he thought chances were good. “Whether David and Mark feel compelled to write them, I don’t know. But I think he has more stories.”

David Lynch

Rolling Stone
May 17, 2017
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features ... ve-w482337

Do you see yourself making features for television now?
No. I don't know what will happen next, but this is an 18-hour film in my mind. And I love the idea of a continuing story. A feature is over in two-and-a-half, three hours. The stories that you tell on cable can go on and on and on. It's really beautiful.

Will there be more Twin Peaks after this?
I have no idea. It depends on how it goes over. You're going to have to wait and see.

USA Today
May 17, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 101774630/

Could there be more episodes? "You never say never."

For now, he's keeping busy with another creative project: "I'm building a table."

The Daily Beast
May 22, 2017
http://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-the ... avid-lynch

Lynch will co-write and direct all 18 episodes of Twin Peaks’ new season but won’t disclose whether or not his contract extends beyond the one season.

“We’ll see how it goes in the world. That’s what we’ve got to see,” utters Lynch. “All I can say, Marlow, is that I love the world of Twin Peaks and the people in it, so it would not be a hardship. But like I said, we’ll have to see what the people think.”[/quote]
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

docLEXfisti wrote:Btw galz 'n' guys, the german description for EP11 on Sky Ticket says: "Becky is furious as she finds out that her drug-addict husband is having an affair..."
Their description of episode 5 originally said "The waitress Norma (Peggy Lipton) worries about her daughter Becky" (at least they corrected that later), so I wouldn't rely on them.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Man, that's truly awesome you compiled all those. Thank you yrev very much!
That's a perfect example of total commitment right there, kudos!!!!
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

ProjectBlueBook wrote:David Dastmalchian on Twitter:

Is that him in the lodge?
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Major Briggs wrote:Doubt he knows anything substantial about it...
I'm not sure. Going through his Twitter account he never promoted an episode like this before. So for me it's also hard to believe that he knows more. But otherwise why should he falsely claiming something? Guess we will find out tomorrow.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Framed_Angel wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:If the Woodsmen are mere agents to carry out some higher bidding
Like you, I'm still not sure what the role of these Woodsmen are. I suppose they could be creepy in isolated encounters, but they still feel a little too abstract.
Let me know if y'all have seen this old cigarette ad Lynch made some decades ago or if it's been mentioned in another thread. I haven't been familiar with commercials Lynch worked on but finally seeing this, there's a ridiculous amount of similarity, from the old fashioned gas station to the flashing light effects and even the way the two men move dance-like as we saw with the woodsmen in Part 8: https://youtu.be/vor65mNB8Uk
Not to mention that it's a cigarette commercial, and the Woodsman is continuously searching for a light.
OpeningCreditsBird

Post by OpeningCreditsBird »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:On his latest interview with KEXP, Dean Hurley pointed out that the Shawn Colvin cover is from the same Doc Pomus tribute album as Lou Reed's cover of "This Magic Moment," which DKL of course used in Lost Highway.
Doc Pomus's funeral was also where Lou Reed heard Jimmy Scott sing which lead to Jimmy Scott going on tour with him, then recording an album in the same studio as Lynch was recording audio for Peaks. Lynch overheard him and had Angelo knock Sycamore Trees up and record it in an afternoon with Scott.
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

wxray wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
02) The Woodsmen are creeping or frightening some viewers out, while others are finding them extra-y and comical.
Jurgen Prochnow was comical in FWWM. I was hoping for Das Boot. Instead I saw what looked to be an imitation of a Chinese lucky cat. So to me, nothing new except they still haven't found a shower. They are just a weird Lynchism.

yeah, I thought the makeup on Jurgen Prochnow in FWWM was on the same level as a grade school production of Peter And The Wolf
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Calderon wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:Doubt he knows anything substantial about it...
I'm not sure. Going through his Twitter account he never promoted an episode like this before. So for me it's also hard to believe that he knows more. But otherwise why should he falsely claiming something? Guess we will find out tomorrow.
Well, he could just be excited. As a minor cast member whose only script knowledge is his own scenes, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know anything really game-changing. If Sabrina and/or Peter Deming say something (like in Part 8, then we can go nuts
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Electric Tree wrote:
wxray wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
02) The Woodsmen are creeping or frightening some viewers out, while others are finding them extra-y and comical.
Jurgen Prochnow was comical in FWWM. I was hoping for Das Boot. Instead I saw what looked to be an imitation of a Chinese lucky cat. So to me, nothing new except they still haven't found a shower. They are just a weird Lynchism.

yeah, I thought the makeup on Jurgen Prochnow in FWWM was on the same level as a grade school production of Peter And The Wolf
Is there any theory about the clearly fake and shitty dime store Halloween costume beard he's wearing?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

ScarFace32 wrote:
Electric Tree wrote:
wxray wrote: Jurgen Prochnow was comical in FWWM. I was hoping for Das Boot. Instead I saw what looked to be an imitation of a Chinese lucky cat. So to me, nothing new except they still haven't found a shower. They are just a weird Lynchism.

Is there any theory about the clearly fake and shitty dime store Halloween costume beard he's wearing?
I don't have a theory about it, but the brief glimpses of his fake beard are a lot less distracting than Laura's ever-present wig. I'm not a fan of Isabella Rossellini's wig in Blue Velvet either (nor am I a fan of her "singing", but that's a different matter), even though I love the film. Maybe Lynch revels in horrible fake hair. I will say that he doesn't seem to be particularly troubled by a bit of artifice showing through. Dougie's wig and sideburns weren't too fancy. Seems like they were borrowed from a 70s Elvis costume. Kyle said that they purposefully sought to make doppelcoop's hair look odd.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Jasper wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:
Electric Tree wrote:

I don't have a theory about it, but the brief glimpses of his fake beard are a lot less distracting than Laura's ever-present wig.
I don't think so, I never even noticed Laura had a wig. That beard has to be over the top intentionally cheap and fake
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Too much word is going around from too many places just like part 8 for tomorrow to not be a big deal.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:Too much word is going around from too many places just like part 8 for tomorrow to not be a big deal.
Like where?
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

N. Needleman wrote:Too much word is going around from too many places just like part 8 for tomorrow to not be a big deal.
Can you give us other sources? So far Dastmalchian's tweet is the only thing I've seen so far.