Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OpeningCreditsBird

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by OpeningCreditsBird »

garethw wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:The pianist was playing a rendition of this New Order track at the beginning of the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZCzJRXvpCg

What do I get out of this?
I always try, I always miss
One of these days you'll go back to your home
You won't even notice that you are alone
Damn, that was what it reminded me of! It was driving me nuts.

Trust the guy called Spooky to spot it... ;)
Another New Order reference in this episode, the Shawn Colvin cover of Viva Las Vegas samples the guitar from New Order's Regret - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlr8exwg3U
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

The 3 girls with the brothers they remind me the 3 queens in the beauty contest! Does anyone else has the same idea? Maybe Cooper starts getting more information
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

BGate wrote:Didn't occur to me until now but, the montage of the Vegas strip had to have all been stock footage, right? I believe they didn't shoot anywhere outside of CA, WA and France.
And it's all out of order. I'm sure someone has a theory about Cooper being in a time-traveling "lodge limo" during that drive on the Strip. :D
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Zachary wrote:
BGate wrote:Didn't occur to me until now but, the montage of the Vegas strip had to have all been stock footage, right? I believe they didn't shoot anywhere outside of CA, WA and France.
And it's all out of order. I'm sure someone has a theory about Cooper being in a time-traveling "lodge limo" during that drive on the Strip. :D
Pretty sure they shot some stuff in Vegas.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Isis Unveiled wrote:But no one answered my question about Leo Johnson, or Windom Earl. Where are they?
We have no idea- and it's certainly possible neither will be mentioned.

We also have no idea about:
Donna, Annie, Audrey, Dick, Mrs Hayward, Catherine. We still know next to nothing about James.

At least we'll learn more about James and Audrey. Who knows on the others.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Holy shit you guys! I lost it laughing out of control with the thing paused for minutes until tears were running down my face.

"The look on Bobby's face!!!"

I finally got it together enough to want to know what Hawk and Frank were talking about in the conference room.

By the way, Albert was marvelous busting Diane like that.

Something about this part felt really satisfying. It also had a strong vibe that a lot of David Lynch’s movies had in the 1990’s. Part of it was the action, and part it was the locations, such as the fenced off area full of run down structures.

And no Roadhouse! Thank the Heavens!

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I was worried about Gordon and Albert, then Shelly and Bobby, and finally DD (Dougie-Dale).
I’m almost there with you, but I no longer have any worries regarding Dougie. "You heard me": I’ve achieved perfect courage when watching his scenes. I wonder if that’s intentional -- if we’re supposed to finally have enough trust in him to see that he's ready, and to feel the same way that he will need to feel once it’s time to face up to his shadow self. If so, will we begin to have doubts and worry for him again, the way we did when he was first introduced as being lost and vulnerable? The way he’s been portrayed makes it seem as though he can overcome any hurdle, even if, at times, it’s with a little help from his friends. This could be intentional of course. I suppose we should always keep our guard up around Lynch and Frost.

Audrey Horne wrote:Cornfield? Are they going to use that old possible storyline of Truman driving backwards through a cornfield into the Lodge?
Right on the money. That occurred to me straight away when Hawk showed Frank the corn field. Thing is, if they do literally just drive in reverse to enter the Lodge, that will be kinda cheap. "Drive" versus "Reverse" just comes down to different directions a vehicle can move in. It's not really "Reverse" at all.

Esselgee wrote:Did anyone actually recognize that as Alicia Witt on first watch?
Absolutely not. Had to read up here to learn that. So... what in the hell happened to Gersten...?! Never found true love in such a small town and resorted to escapades, or is she liberated from a former life of stuffy expectations?

The Jumping Man wrote:Gordon's hand was shaking like the people towards the end of S2 after he came in contact with Lodgeland.
You're right! I didn't make the connection, thanks for sharing that.

Jadegive2rides wrote:That wallpaper you like is going to come back in style.
Hee haw! Good one.

Nighthawk wrote:I wouldn't even mind the slow pacing, I can very well revel in it, but we are getting perilously close to the end and, unless season 4 is in the works, there won't be enough time to explore the various subplots that offer so much potential.
There’s been a fair amount of concern over not having enough time left to thoroughly explore or resolve everything that’s being introduced, but I can’t get behind any of that because we still have what amounts to three feature films worth of running time left. Ever seen a movie where it seems like years are going by and countless, complex events are transpiring? Multiply that by three, and that’s how much space we still have to work within. The sky’s the limit, basically.

Low Entropy wrote:I want the bold Cooper who goes new places, not "Suburban Coop".
Yeah but every Mozart has a father. Being a dad is one of the most important things that a man can do, so while you can label it "domestic life" or "suburbia", the reality is that in such a role, a person is a leader, an example in motion, a support system, a teacher, and a loving guardian. Doesn’t sound so bad once you remove the labels and check the actual contents, in fact it might yet be his most influential and impactful role in life.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Ross wrote:Obviously there has been a bit of shuffling of scenes around. We know the Andy/Lucy chair scene a couple of eps back was moved (based on Lucy's clothes). And here she is talking about that scene. Also, Jesse is at the station right after he's at the RR traffic scene.
Did anyone else notice Becky and Steven were wearing the same clothes in part 10 that they are in part 11? They obviously chopped up this sequence as well. "I know what you did!" was very likely referencing Becky shooting Gersten's door so anyone reading anything else into it might as well give up now. I think moving this depiction of violence to part 10 worked really well immediately after the brutal Richard/Miriam scene.
It can't be the case though, as Carl mentions to Norma that he heard them arguing in the trailer.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Isis Unveiled wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote: Lol this guy's been watching a different show then us
Hey smart guy, want to tell me where the sigil for the ring came from?

The one that Hawk referred to in Part 11, and the one in FWWM that Lara dreams about? The one that is written about in The Secret History of Twin Peaks?

Can you tell me who and when in history had used the sigil/symbol it to represent some occult deviance?
Uh, sure I guess. You mean the ring? I'm not sure it kind of looks like the Odal Rune with wings but the symbol Hawk mentions is different then the ring. The symbol is like a big black circle over the owl sigil with only the wings visible
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

The Archivist wrote:It can't be the case though, as Carl mentions to Norma that he heard them arguing in the trailer.
To Shelly. And that doesn't mean we have to see the mug through the window scene before Carl says that. It works either way.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Some scenes are definitely being switched around - or being inserted where they weren't originally intended to go (from the script). The Becky stuff could work either way. But I think the scene of Truman/Hawk in this episode was probably meant to play earlier. And they've definitely stretched out other scenes - the Log Lady phone calls, Norma, etc. - that probably were only one - or a handful - of scenes. However, I think Lynch was almost entirely in control of the editing (he stated he spent a year editing it) so whatever we're seeing is the way he wants us to see it. Didn't he also joke that we could watch any episode in any order?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I liked this episode despite it not being what I expected. The hype beforehand made me think that we were in for lodge craziness, etc, but it was another slow build. I'd love the next episode to be the one where they go to Jack Rabbit's palace, but they can clearly stretch out another episode without that happening. Though that should occur on the next day from the events we saw last night, correct?

I don't think anyone has mentioned the shot down the stairs yet. That was classic Lynch, and brilliant!

Belushi just gets better and better. Having seen (and loved) Wild Palms back in the day, I wasn't too worried when he was cast, but I assumed he was being cast for a very certain thing, which was a gangster figure. He is so superb in every way (as is Robert Knepper). The breakfast scene was wonderful.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ross wrote: We have no idea- and it's certainly possible neither will be mentioned.

We also have no idea about:
Donna, Annie, Audrey, Dick, Mrs Hayward, Catherine. We still know next to nothing about James.

At least we'll learn more about James and Audrey. Who knows on the others.
Yep. And in many respects we don't even know much about the characters we've even seen.

Norma - we know nothing about her so far except that she still works at the diner and (seemingly) still owns it. We may get a glimpse into her personal life - about whether or not she's with Big Ed - but we're unlikely to learn anything more about her.

My guess is we'll never see Dick again. We might see or hear about Eileen. We might learn something about Catherine and Josie (and I hope we'll see them, but I doubt it). We'll probably never see Donna again, but might learn she died or moved away.

I think we'll learn a little more about Bobby, Shelly, and James.

We might hear about Leo. I think he never made it out it out of the cabin. Episode 29 originally had a scene with Hawk and Andy finding him - but Lynch cut it.

I think Windom is gone for good, likely never to be mentioned unless we get a glimpse of him in the lodge. I don't think Lynch liked that character.

I'm not sure about Annie. Maybe it'll turn out she's somehow related to Candie - or IS Candie. Or we might hear Bad Coop killed her or she moved away. I was hoping she'd turn up in a cameo like Catherine and Josie, but there's not many episodes left.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Oh, and I'm also joining the camp that says Dougie either won't wake up, or will do so right at the end. I've now settled into this being the story, and I've been thinking a lot about two questions:

1) If Dougie "wakes up"now, what would he actually do? There is no momentum behind that part of the story, so it has to rely on external events.

2) If Cooper emerged from the lodge fully formed, what would he have actually done? Driven straight back to Twin Peaks and asked them what was going on? There wouldn't be any momentum in that story either.

So devoid of the shock of seeing Cooper babbling around for 11+ hours, I'm now fine with it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

baxter wrote:Oh, and I'm also joining the camp that says Dougie either won't wake up, or will do so right at the end. I've now settled into this being the story, and I've been thinking a lot about two questions:

1) If Dougie "wakes up"now, what would he actually do? There is no momentum behind that part of the story, so it has to rely on external events.

2) If Cooper emerged from the lodge fully formed, what would he have actually done? Driven straight back to Twin Peaks and asked them what was going on? There wouldn't be any momentum in that story either.

So devoid of the shock of seeing Cooper babbling around for 11+ hours, I'm now fine with it.
I think there's a lot they could have done if they'd had Cooper step out of the lodge directly into Glastonbury Grove and go straight back to Twin Peaks. There could have been a complicated story of him learning about all the events in the town since he left, learning about Bad Coop's actions, calling Cole and Albert to Twin Peaks. There might have been more murders. Or they could have even gone the Dougie route, but had him be Dougie in Twin Peaks. Either way, it is what it is now. I think a Season 3 back in the day would have been amazing, playing with the "is it Bad Coop or is it Good Coop?" idea. Maybe they could have even done that now. But Lynch and Frost went a different way.

As for if Dougie wakes up now, there's a lot he could do. He could start by hooking up with Albert and Cole and helping them track down Bad Coop and/or go back to Twin Peaks and hook up with Truman/Hawk and find the entry to the lodge. Maybe he'd have to save Audrey. Or the whole town of Twin Peaks. I think he will wake up soon. As I just wrote in another thread, he's wearing the suit he wore as Cooper in the original show
Spoiler:
and that we've seen him wearing in teaser trailers where he's driving around and looking in control of his faculties
, so that tells me we might be close to him awakening. And we've already had him experiencing lots of little awakenings - seeing various elements relating to law enforcement, the American flag, coffee, and now cherry pie. Cherry pie feels like the final - or close to final - step. I think something major - Audrey? Twin Peaks? Laura Palmer? - will be the catalyst to fully wake him up.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

dontlooknow wrote:Will Norma ever finish that paperwork?
Not in the movie where Kafka's portrait is hanging on the wall of the Director's office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk