Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by BGate »

Cappy wrote:Re: Philip Jeffries being aged and played by a different actor

It would also make sense within Twin Peaks internal logic to have Philip Jeffries just be played by a little monkey, like the one that uttered "Judy" in his voice at the end of FWWM. If The Arm can evolve, then maybe Jeffries can devolve.

EDIT: Also this might be far fetched, but they could put the jumping man's mask on some other actor wearing Jeffries' white suit, and string together his dialogue based on random words and phrases spoken by Bowie during his recording and acting career. Lynch could even put a backwards/forwards Lodge effect on it for added effect.
Someone on another forum I frequent had a good point: We know Carlton Lee Russell is in this...maybe Jeffries will be represented as The Jumping Man? That's an old FWWM theory, right?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mairzy wrote:I may have missed this discussed on the forum, but what about part 11 being shown early at SDCC? Will the part 11 thread be opened before Sunday?
We will open a special thread for the Comic Con screening of Part 11 tonight. That way people who wish to avoid 11 spoilers just need to avoid that one thread.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Thanks Jerry.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Episode 11 being shown at comic con seems like a recipe for disaster. No way to avoid spoilers now with the advent of twitter.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

yeah, i'm just going to take the loss on this one, I think. Stuff is going to get out, i'm not hiding offline till 2am Sunday. 3am, actually, damn GoT
Jack

Post by Jack »

Metamorphia wrote:Episode 11 being shown at comic con seems like a recipe for disaster. No way to avoid spoilers now with the advent of twitter.
Log out of twitter?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Hey, y'know what's interesting about this ep?

The two locations we spent the most time in are Las Vegas and Twin Peaks. So, in Twin Peaks we are seeing violence in almost every scene, corruption on the police force, domestic violence, elder abuse, poor Johnny tied up, drug abuse, someone lost in the woods with no help, and adultery.

In Las Vegas, which is a city normally used to embody modern decadence, we see some corruption, yes, but we see the scene where Candie accidentally hurts Rodney leads to her in tears and Rodney just shrugging it off. We see these violent mobsters deal with her incompetence without anything more than yelling her name. And we scenes of the home life with Janey-E and Dougie-Coop, which is showing them beginning to act like an actual married couple.

All the poisonous, violent parts are in Twin Peaks. The Las Vegas scenes are portrayed as... well, everyone doing something bad is humanized to a point. The bad guys in Twin Peaks are monsters. It's a switch from Cooper's reaction to Twin Peaks 25 years ago, where he saw it as a wholesome oasis from the sinful city. Now, the calmer place with the families and the humorously goofy bad guys with weird soft spots who are brought to justice by quirky cops is Sin City itself, and Twin Peaks is where the hardcore violent irredeemable criminals are running around without consequences
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Ragnell wrote:Hey, y'know what's interesting about this ep?

The two locations we spent the most time in are Las Vegas and Twin Peaks. So, in Twin Peaks we are seeing violence in almost every scene, corruption on the police force, domestic violence, elder abuse, poor Johnny tied up, drug abuse, someone lost in the woods with no help, and adultery.

In Las Vegas, which is a city normally used to embody modern decadence, we see some corruption, yes, but we see the scene where Candie accidentally hurts Rodney leads to her in tears and Rodney just shrugging it off. We see these violent mobsters deal with her incompetence without anything more than yelling her name. And we scenes of the home life with Janey-E and Dougie-Coop, which is showing them beginning to act like an actual married couple.

All the poisonous, violent parts are in Twin Peaks. The Las Vegas scenes are portrayed as... well, everyone doing something bad is humanized to a point. The bad guys in Twin Peaks are monsters. It's a switch from Cooper's reaction to Twin Peaks 25 years ago, where he saw it as a wholesome oasis from the sinful city. Now, the calmer place with the families and the humorously goofy bad guys with weird soft spots who are brought to justice by quirky cops is Sin City itself, and Twin Peaks is where the hardcore violent irredeemable criminals are running around without consequences
Interesting observation. Much in line with Lynch's prior works, where if you look beneath the "green grass," you see an ugly world of bugs and "monsters." LV is just more open about the "sin."
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Frank Truman might be a "true man," but he seems incapable of keeping order in Twin Peaks, even with a more advanced police force.

Or is he on the verge of busting some of these creeps in town?

It didn't take Harry and Ed too long to figure out who was behind the cocaine trade.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Breifly, since I'm on the road, but had a six hour drive to think things through. I want to get this out before the next episode in case I am right/wrong. I mentioned this in outline last week, inspired by Lynch's song Strange and Unproductive Thinking.

Coop will reach the state of higher self by the end of the season. DougieCoop is almost there already, his mind is clear with a complete absence of thought and his physical body is CGI perfect. Janey E is getting a bad rap, but how can any person (assuming that is all she is) resist the allure of a perfect physical being? This scene is an important one, very important. I'm not sure where Cooper's consciousness is, or why it needs to be anywhere other than inside his body (DougieCoop that is). The full force of Cooper's being will return when he joins/defeats his doppelgänger and achieves superconsciousness, or the higher self. He is very close already, very very close.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Ragnell and EwanM - loving your observations. Thank you.

I am also really down with the idea of Jeffries portrayed by a monkey or the jumping man.

Pretty sure we haven't heard Judy's name uttered so far, eh? I really thought she was gonna be a big part of this. Guess there's still a lot of time for that to come about.

In regards to Richard Horne, I feel like he's just gotta be Audrey's son - the facial resemblance is striking, and I wager that contributed to Lynch choosing him for the role.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Snailhead wrote:Ragnell and EwanM - loving your observations. Thank you.

I am also really down with the idea of Jeffries portrayed by a monkey or the jumping man.

Pretty sure we haven't heard Judy's name uttered so far, eh? I really thought she was gonna be a big part of this. Guess there's still a lot of time for that to come about.

In regards to Richard Horne, I feel like he's just gotta be Audrey's son - the facial resemblance is striking, and I wager that contributed to Lynch choosing him for the role.
A reputable source in this forum has hinted we will hear about Judy.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Jerry Horne wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:What do you guys make of the apparent hidden link from the Hastings blog;

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... h=8fa1d97a

There is a screenshot of a secret message which reads 'HELLO ANONYMOUS. TO GET TO LEVEL THREE YOU MUST FIND THE BOOK OF THE KEY AND THE LOCK'

The user said that it was accessed by refreshing the browser 119 times but no one has thus far been able to replicate it.

Just a hoax? It is this legit?
Looks like Bull**** at this point.
Yeah. So far the blogger has not returned to verify it. Probably never will I guess
starmand
Roadhouse Member

Post by starmand »

Deep Thought wrote:Breifly, since I'm on the road, but had a six hour drive to think things through. I want to get this out before the next episode in case I am right/wrong. I mentioned this in outline last week, inspired by Lynch's song Strange and Unproductive Thinking.

Coop will reach the state of higher self by the end of the season. DougieCoop is almost there already, his mind is clear with a complete absence of thought and his physical body is CGI perfect. Janey E is getting a bad rap, but how can any person (assuming that is all she is) resist the allure of a perfect physical being? This scene is an important one, very important. I'm not sure where Cooper's consciousness is, or why it needs to be anywhere other than inside his body (DougieCoop that is). The full force of Cooper's being will return when he joins/defeats his doppelgänger and achieves superconsciousness, or the higher self. He is very close already, very very close.
I've been thinking along these lines as well. My feeling is that the Cooper we know and love will only return once he reunites with his doppelgänger. That also makes me think it may happen several episodes before the end of the series. Perhaps once Coop is reintegrated (in Las Vegas, perhaps?) he will return to Twin Peaks and set things right, possibly dealing with Richard... Idle musings. Bad idea to try make any predictions about this show!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:The user said that it was accessed by refreshing the browser 119 times but no one has thus far been able to replicate it.
I burst out laughing when I read this. :lol: