Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

It could be a period piece/origin story, or it could take place in the present. Even if it took place in the present, they could still explore the group's origins.

And of course you'd need someone like Audrey to be a key member of the "boys."

I'm ready to start writing this thing, who's with me?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

garethw wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:Image
Well, there goes my Gardenback theory. Thanks for posting!
Some talk about anagrams over at reddit, like combining the names "Janey E," "Dougie" and "Sonny Jim" to create cryptic pseudo-meanings or messages.
The Log Lady, Margaret, her last name is "Lanterman." I can anagram "antler" out of "Lanter," FWIW, but that's all I got. I haven't yet tried to anagram both words "Margaret" + "Lanterman."
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:It's funny to me that we never saw more from the bookhouse boys. Some shows would base their entire story on a group like that, but for Twin Peaks it was just a nifty side element.

If Lynch is really done with TP after S3, I wouldn't mind a spin off.
Made without Lynch? No thanks. Besides, Lynch keeps saying he'd be interested in doing more Peaks, and he loves how television allows stories to keep going deeper and deeper, but it depends upon whether or not The Return is a success with the public. So if it's enough of a success for Showtime to request more, I believe he'll do it. if it's not enough of a success, who's going to fund a spinoff, especially sans Lynch?

On the other hand, if someone like Frost does a spinoff Bookhouse Boys book or graphic novel, that's fine, as long as I don't have to consider it canon.

Framed_Angel wrote:The Log Lady, Margaret, her last name is "Lanterman." I can anagram "antler" out of "Lanter," FWIW, but that's all I got. I haven't yet tried to anagram both words "Margaret" + "Lanterman."
I've always liked that Lanterman sounds like Lantern Man. I always picture her husband in the woods with a lantern, discovering the oil pool.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'd love for Lynch to keep making new TP, but I also think the universe is big enough and popular enough for a show that explores the world without him while remaining true to Lynch and Frost's vision.

Some fans, not necessarily me, want a more traditional narrative oriented version of Twin Peaks. A Bookhouse Boys show could be the right form for such a show.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'd love for Lynch to keep making new TP, but I also think the universe is big enough and popular enough for a show that explores the world without him while remaining true to Lynch and Frost's vision.

Some fans, not necessarily me, want a more traditional narrative oriented version of Twin Peaks. A Bookhouse Boys show could be the right form for such a show.
Twin Peaks without Lynch is like macaroni without gravy. Bah!!!!!!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

BigEd wrote:
zmccain wrote:Watching a woman chase a fly around a room for 3 minutes? Just to do a tired and overused gag that's been around forever? How exciting will that be on a second viewing? Wasted time.
Well, I actually rewatched the entire episode, and (eye)Candie chasing the fly and whacking Mitchum was certainly enjoyable (if not "exciting") the second time. 8)
Just reporting back. I just watched this for the third time, and eye-Candie chasing the fly was still extremely fun to watch. I just don't know what that other poster was thinking.... 8) :lol:
ArgTP

Post by ArgTP »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:What do you guys make of the apparent hidden link from the Hastings blog;

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... h=8fa1d97a

There is a screenshot of a secret message which reads 'HELLO ANONYMOUS. TO GET TO LEVEL THREE YOU MUST FIND THE BOOK OF THE KEY AND THE LOCK'

The user said that it was accessed by refreshing the browser 119 times but no one has thus far been able to replicate it.

Just a hoax? It is this legit?
Looks like Bull**** at this point.
Yeah. So far the blogger has not returned to verify it. Probably never will I guess
Completely false. I've covered all the website code and the only original script (added one day AFTER the original episode) is this one which is only a minute-counter to September 9th (the fake visit counter).
Fuego, camina conmigo | @ArgTwinPeaks
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

I'm sure we all can agree that the Lynch/Frost Team is quite an amazing cinematic union. If said team were to lay down a set of classified, strict parameters in which a hand picked group of producers could work within, I'm sure a spin-off could be entirely possible.
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Just noticed on another viewing the lady that walks by carrying the French flag and red flowers when Constance and Albert are having dinner. She doesn't look like wait staff. Probably nothing. Maybe it just meant they were eating at a French restaurant :D. It just stuck out to me after viewing it again.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'd love for Lynch to keep making new TP, but I also think the universe is big enough and popular enough for a show that explores the world without him while remaining true to Lynch and Frost's vision.

I honestly hope this will never happen. If it does, I hope I have the discipline never to watch any of it. But of course, I won't be able to resist the temptation.

The problem with these low quality sequals is not that they tend to be a waste of time. It is worse than that, in the sense that they tend to ruin the memories of the top quality material as well.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:Besides, Lynch keeps saying he'd be interested in doing more Peaks, ...
Where did he say this? All I recall are wishy-washy "we'll see how it goes after this one"-type answers, which indicate less than nothing either way IMO. But it's tough to imagine him undertaking something like this again. He's gone out of his way to call it a movie, not an ongoing series, and Showtime keeps calling it a "limited event."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:Besides, Lynch keeps saying he'd be interested in doing more Peaks, ...
Where did he say this? All I recall are wishy-washy "we'll see how it goes after this one"-type answers, which indicate less than nothing either way IMO. But it's tough to imagine him undertaking something like this again. He's gone out of his way to call it a movie, not an ongoing series, and Showtime keeps calling it a "limited event."
Well, the "We'll see how it goes" answers seem to imply that if it goes well he'd be happy to make more. There are a lot of Lynch quotes about the ability to keep going deeper and deeper into a story via television, and how cable is the new arthouse, but for the most part I'm referencing things like this:

Rolling Stone
May 17, 2017
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/feature ... ve-w482337

Do you see yourself making features for television now?
No. I don't know what will happen next, but this is an 18-hour film in my mind. And I love the idea of a continuing story. A feature is over in two-and-a-half, three hours. The stories that you tell on cable can go on and on and on. It's really beautiful.

Will there be more Twin Peaks after this?
I have no idea. It depends on how it goes over. You're going to have to wait and see.

USA Today
May 17, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 101774630/

Could there be more episodes? "You never say never."

For now, he's keeping busy with another creative project: "I'm building a table."

The Daily Beast
May 22, 2017
http://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-the ... avid-lynch

Lynch will co-write and direct all 18 episodes of Twin Peaks’ new season but won’t disclose whether or not his contract extends beyond the one season.

“We’ll see how it goes in the world. That’s what we’ve got to see,” utters Lynch. “All I can say, Marlow, is that I love the world of Twin Peaks and the people in it, so it would not be a hardship. But like I said, we’ll have to see what the people think.”
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You're interpreting those noncommittal quotes a bit more optimistically than I am, but I see where you're coming from.

DKL has been saying the same thing about television and the ability to tell an ongoing story since the original run, but the funny thing is, I think this idea is a lot more appealing to him in concept than in practice. Obviously, he proved too impatient/distracted to be a show runner under the old network TV model. It doesn't seem like he ever watched too much serialized television -- other than indicating some familiarity with The Fugitive, the only shows I've seen him mention watching are Mad Men, Breaking Bad and True Detective season 1, and IIRC it sounded like he binge watched those shows after they completed their runs. He's not watching Better Call Saul despite it being an acclaimed BB spinoff (he said the only show he currently watches is a car show); maybe he's waiting until BCS ends to binge it? And TP:TR, despite its weekly delivery system, is about as binge-able a series as I've ever seen, aggressively refusing to conform to norms of episodic television.

The impression I get is that while he professes to like the idea of continuing stories, what he really likes is the idea of telling a very very long but structured story with a beginning, middle and end (and of course all sorts of tangents along the way). If we do get more TP after this, it won't be "season 4" or even "The Return season 2," it will be a new, very long TP "movie."

This is all conjecture and to some extent semantics, of course. But, bottom line: I don't believe there will be more unless DKL and Mark fall in love with a new idea that takes them back into that world, and Lynch's comments indicate to me that that hasn't happened as of now, so anything beyond these 18 hours is far from a sure thing.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Hester Prynne wrote:Just noticed on another viewing the lady that walks by carrying the French flag and red flowers when Constance and Albert are having dinner. She doesn't look like wait staff. Probably nothing. Maybe it just meant they were eating at a French restaurant :D. It just stuck out to me after viewing it again.
Yeah, that stood out to me too. Guess it's a head-nod to the French, who DKL has had a beneficial relationship with for awhile now (including funding for the Return, right?). The Bastille Day stuff for his website (which I saw on Lynch One) was great!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
The very fact that he answered the question so easily (when he's been more than happy to keep quiet about way more inconsequential things to do with his work) makes me think that it was misdirection and a way of keeping the mystery alive. The arcs are done or on their way to being done, and there are likely to be some important character deaths. Also, I just don't think that writing an open ending was something on their minds at the time, and I doubt they'd adjust it later.

Of course, i'm probably wrong, but it feels a lot more likely than a s4 of TP. I can see someone trying to get a spin-off going, though, but it won't be Lynch and Frost doing that.