Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by firefly2193 »

Maybe this is obvious, but I've noticed how increasingly TPTR's structure is a symmetric reflection of the original Twin Peaks's. In TP, the story starts with the finding of Laura's body, and from that singular starting point the story continually spreads and expands along many different threads. In TPTR by contrast, many different disparate story threads slowly converge towards one thread - Laura. Similarly, in TP Dale Cooper's journey is one from entering Twin Peaks knowing who he is and already at his 'complete self' - and the experiences in Twin Peaks disorient him and make him lose some sense of who he is, eventually culminating in the physical breaking apart of various parts of his personality in the Black Lodge. In TPTR, Cooper is broken apart, and his journey sees him try to find himself and put the various splits in his personality together.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIa7B3SXjI

Not sure if anyone already posted this, I skimmed the pages, but the Log Lady says at 1:12 (the intro for the first episode)... Laura is the one!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

jakemartinez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIa7B3SXjI

Not sure if anyone already posted this, I skimmed the pages, but the Log Lady says at 1:12 (the intro for the first episode)... Laura is the one!
Thanks a lot!! I was looking for this as I knew I heard it somewhere. Unbelievable I forgot to look there.
Welcome to Twin Peaks. My name is Margaret Lantermen. I live in Twin Peaks. I am known as the log lady. There is a story behind that. There are many stories in Twin Peaks. Some of them are sad, some funny. Some are stories of madness, of violence. Some are ordinary. Yet they all have about them a sense of mystery. The mystery of life, sometimes the mystery of death. The mystery of the woods, the woods surrounding Twin Peaks. To introduce this story let me just say it encompasses the all. It is beyond the fire. Though few would know that meaning. It is a story of many but it begins with one and I knew her. The one leading to the many is Laura Palmer. Laura is the one.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

firefly2193 wrote:Maybe this is obvious, but I've noticed how increasingly TPTR's structure is a symmetric reflection of the original Twin Peaks's. In TP, the story starts with the finding of Laura's body, and from that singular starting point the story continually spreads and expands along many different threads. In TPTR by contrast, many different disparate story threads slowly converge towards one thread - Laura. Similarly, in TP Dale Cooper's journey is one from entering Twin Peaks knowing who he is and already at his 'complete self' - and the experiences in Twin Peaks disorient him and make him lose some sense of who he is, eventually culminating in the physical breaking apart of various parts of his personality in the Black Lodge. In TPTR, Cooper is broken apart, and his journey sees him try to find himself and put the various splits in his personality together.
Very astute observation Firefly, hopefully you are onto something :-)
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

I don't know what is worse: Being tortured by seeing your nephew hitting your mother or being tortured by being tied to a chair in front of a teddy bear that constantly repeats "Hello Johnny, how are you today?"
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Mibbler wrote:I don't know what is worse: Being tortured by seeing your nephew hitting your mother or being tortured by being tied to a chair in front of a teddy bear that constantly repeats "Hello Johnny, how are you today?"
Either way Johnny's life is a nightmare and I hope he gets a scene bonding with Audrey when she's returned.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I know this is unlikely but it would be beneficial for Johnny's character if Laura returned and read Peter Pan to him or something. Wasn't she the only person who could ever calm him down, besides Jacoby?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It's interesting that Sylvia seems more concerned/nurturing toward Johnny than in the original show. Of course, we're seeing her here under very different circumstances, and we've only ever gotten small glimpses. But in the old show, she seemed impatient and angry with Johnny's inability to accept that Laura was gone, and she refused to even see him/try to comfort him, delegating to a caretaker. She seems much kinder here.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It's interesting that Sylvia seems more concerned/nurturing toward Johnny than in the original show. Of course, we're seeing her here under very different circumstances, and we've only ever gotten small glimpses. But in the old show, she seemed impatient and angry with Johnny's inability to accept that Laura was gone, and she refused to even see him/try to comfort him, delegating to a caretaker. She seems much kinder here.
I agree, tremendously touching. But, it might also be a matter of necessity. Johnny seems to be the only thing or person she's got left.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

So Miriam's letter not matching the credits and the glitch when Tammy approached the door are being written off as production mistakes that will never come up again. Just like the seating change at the Double-R in ep 7.

I just think that's a really weird prevailing attitude in this fandom when we all know the main series villain's true origin is that a setdresser was accidentally trapped on set and then mistakenly caught in a mirror during a shot.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Ragnell wrote:So Miriam's letter not matching the credits and the glitch when Tammy approached the door are being written off as production mistakes that will never come up again. Just like the seating change at the Double-R in ep 7.

I just think that's a really weird prevailing attitude in this fandom when we all know the main series villain's true origin is that a setdresser was accidentally trapped on set and then mistakenly caught in a mirror during a shot.
Who knows- right now they could certainly be mistakes. Or they may be intentional. We shall see. I just think its certainly possible a prop error can happen. There are certainly continuity glitches in the old show, and, for instance, Lynch is not very concerned with visual continuity.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Ross wrote:
Ragnell wrote:So Miriam's letter not matching the credits and the glitch when Tammy approached the door are being written off as production mistakes that will never come up again. Just like the seating change at the Double-R in ep 7.

Who knows- right now they could certainly be mistakes. Or they may be intentional. We shall see. I just think its certainly possible a prop error can happen. There are certainly continuity glitches in the old show, and, for instance, Lynch is not very concerned with visual continuity.
Yeah, it's possible. But the glitch and the seating change at least add to the atmosphere in the areas, Gordon's having visions and the seating change happened during an ep of weird things going on in town so I'm inclined to think they are part of the narrative even mistakes.

The Miriam thing, though, is probably something we shouldn't write off. It can be explained away as Miriam using a maiden name or a different last name because Richard not being arrested did make her think one of the deputies is untrustworthy. OR it could be intentional, Chad got the wrong letter, and the right letter could show up at Frank or even Harry's house. Harry getting the letter would be a good payoff for the buildup in Truman brothers phone calls if on the next phone call the letter comes up.

Either way, to me it seems like the letter is at least as fair game for speculation and theories as the Great Northern Key was before it ended up in Ben's pocket and I don't think it's a stretch to think the credits are in play after Richard Horne's lineage was teased for so many eps before this one, and after they went out of their way to Carel Struycken's character's name in them.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ragnell wrote: The Miriam thing, though, is probably something we shouldn't write off. It can be explained away as Miriam using a maiden name or a different last name because Richard not being arrested did make her think one of the deputies is untrustworthy. OR it could be intentional, Chad got the wrong letter, and the right letter could show up at Frank or even Harry's house. Harry getting the letter would be a good payoff for the buildup in Truman brothers phone calls if on the next phone call the letter comes up.
Yeah and was it David Nevins or Mark Frost himself who said that "careful viewing will be rewarded" or something like that? So I suspect it's not a coincidence that the names are different and perhaps Chad did intercept the wrong letter from another Miriam or something. And only the careful viewers catch it. Here's hoping. I want Miriam's letter to save somebody else from Richard the way Annie's message in the diary pages will hopefully save somebody else...
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It's interesting that Sylvia seems more concerned/nurturing toward Johnny than in the original show. Of course, we're seeing her here under very different circumstances, and we've only ever gotten small glimpses. But in the old show, she seemed impatient and angry with Johnny's inability to accept that Laura was gone, and she refused to even see him/try to comfort him, delegating to a caretaker. She seems much kinder here.
She didn't get a lot of screen time in the original series; but she was never portrayed as stupid. I'm sure she knew Laura was screwing her husband. Hell, she probably knew he at least thought he was "in love" with Laura. I imagine Johnny's grief (and Ben's, even though he was able to hide it) was quite hard for her to deal with at the time.

It's 25 (given that it seems to be 2016 in TPTR, actually 27) years later now. She's come to terms with things. She is seemingly at the very least separated from Ben. Audrey is - well, we have no idea, but she doesn't seem to live with her mother. In 2016, Sylvia has dealt with the injuries of the past and moved on. Johnny is her world now. Back then, she couldn't handle her mentally and emotionally disabled son grieving the woman who was screwing her husband. Now she's able to be the mom Johnny needs.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't understand the Miriam thing - besides the credits, does she have a last name to match to the envelop? Would it be a plot point that Chad picked the wrong letter or just seem random without it being foreshadowed in the show? You would have to remind your audience to read all of the credits and clock it very carefully, rewind and pause your credits. And if this is an eighteen hour film, the credits would come at the end anyway. I'm leaning towards a simple production glitch.

I am still baffled by the Richard Horne reveal in part five - I'm sure Lynch and Frost when they composed this didn't think, "hey, and we'll reveal his identity in the credits." - i think it was always intended to be the surprise when he says, "Hiiii, Grandma."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?