Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Wally Brando »

dud wrote:
Wally Brando wrote:Can someone with access to subtitles, or just better hearing than me, confirm what the Mitchum brothers said on the sofa about Dougie?

I could've sworn they made reference to 'Brando'.
"Now I know how Brando felt"
Thanks!
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

guildnavigator wrote:How does that make sense to you? Because two other people hear autotune on a song in 2017 then a song from 2001 has to also have it? Why?
because her voice is the same in both songs? really I have to spell it out for you?

guildnavigator wrote: Also by "Silencio" I can only assume you mean "Llorando" which she recorded before 1994, and sang along to in mullholland drive. Autotune wasn't developed until 1997.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihP3fpLtpcM
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

riesje wrote:
guildnavigator wrote:How does that make sense to you? Because two other people hear autotune on a song in 2017 then a song from 2001 has to also have it? Why?
because her voice is the same in both songs? really I have to spell it out for you?

guildnavigator wrote: Also by "Silencio" I can only assume you mean "Llorando" which she recorded before 1994, and sang along to in mullholland drive. Autotune wasn't developed until 1997.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihP3fpLtpcM

Still doesn't make any sense and there's still no song called "Silencio" and "Llorando" was still recorded before autotune was created, so you saying "her voice is the same" can't change historical fact that autotune wasn't available when Llorando was recorded.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Meaxylon wrote:Looking at those credits again - actor Greg Mills is credited as "Paul".

Can someone help me out - is Paul someone we've seen before? I don't recognise the actor from his photo on imdb. Is he someone from the Las Vegas storyline? If he hasn't shown up before I might think he's the anonymous person in the photo of the glass box.
Nice catch. It must be. Some us were hoping it was Heinrich Veigel. The actor's head shot looks very much like the lab coat guy:
mills.JPG
mills.JPG (12.08 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
labcoat.JPG
labcoat.JPG (10.99 KiB) Viewed 8901 times
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

sewhite2000 wrote:Does anyone actually read previous posts on these threads?
I was wondering the same thing.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

sycamore wrote: Yes, Sarah Jean Long was credited for playing the character "Miriam Sullivan" in parts 6 and 10. The letter that Deputy Chad Broxford intercepts is from a "Miriam Hodges" (also of Twin Peaks) ... not the same Miriam. Note the zip code: 98705 or 98725 leads to ... Zacatecas, Mexico. Maybe this letter came from the same server as Diane's text? (haha). Also, Richard Horne asks, "Sent that letter today?" ... and Miriam replies, "That's right." Meaning: the letter she mailed could not arrive at the sheriff's station a few hours later on that same day.
Didn't Miriam say she wrote a letter to Sheriff Truman? (I could be wrong but that's how I remember the scene)
Because that letter isn't addressed to Sheriff Truman, just "Twin Peaks Sheriff station".
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Wally Brando wrote:
dud wrote:
Wally Brando wrote:Can someone with access to subtitles, or just better hearing than me, confirm what the Mitchum brothers said on the sofa about Dougie?

I could've sworn they made reference to 'Brando'.
"Now I know how Brando felt"
Thanks!
Imagine Wally Brando being the man behind the glass box, the one who mr. Todd is scared of and who's double playing both Todd and the Mitchum brothers. (Ha)
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

pvilmur wrote: In light of Margaret's quote about electricity humming and dancing "among the sea and stars," could the auto-tuning of Rebekah's voice be a deliberate artistic choice on Lynch's part? The effect seems to subtly pull electricity from the ether and into the heavy, vibrating air of the Roadhouse...
Doubt it. Just a way too common standard method of music production these days. I think you are carrying this too far. Now, if they turned autotune up to 11 (think Cher, from "Believe") then I'd say you have something. Instead, this was the standard pin-the-voice-to-0.001hz-of-the-key autotune.

Why-oh-why? Such a beautiful voice that would be enhanced by a little reality.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Daliz wrote:
sycamore wrote: Yes, Sarah Jean Long was credited for playing the character "Miriam Sullivan" in parts 6 and 10. The letter that Deputy Chad Broxford intercepts is from a "Miriam Hodges" (also of Twin Peaks) ... not the same Miriam. Note the zip code: 98705 or 98725 leads to ... Zacatecas, Mexico. Maybe this letter came from the same server as Diane's text? (haha). Also, Richard Horne asks, "Sent that letter today?" ... and Miriam replies, "That's right." Meaning: the letter she mailed could not arrive at the sheriff's station a few hours later on that same day.
Didn't Miriam say she wrote a letter to Sheriff Truman? (I could be wrong but that's how I remember the scene)
Because that letter isn't addressed to Sheriff Truman, just "Twin Peaks Sheriff station".
yes correct. I think it was mentioned just after the text quote above. Pretty sure given the different surname, and that the letter wouldn't have arrived at the sheriffs station same day as mailed, that it is not the letter. I also doubt that Chad would be smart enough to realise that the letter he has isn't "the one". He already confirmed he had it. I am tipping he throws it is a drawer or bin somewhere and doesn't even pay it any attention again.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Daliz wrote:
yes correct. I think it was mentioned just after the text quote above. Pretty sure given the different surname, and that the letter wouldn't have arrived at the sheriffs station same day as mailed, that it is not the letter. I also doubt that Chad would be smart enough to realise that the letter he has isn't "the one". He already confirmed he had it. I am tipping he throws it is a drawer or bin somewhere and doesn't even pay it any attention again.
I think it's just a prop error. It happens.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'd be delighted if the Miriam letter turns out to be sent from a different Miriam and/or Lucy somehow finds the original letter - but I think the discrepancy in her surnames is just a goof. Still hoping Lucy sleuths out the letter though.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Meaxylon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Meaxylon »

wxray wrote:
Meaxylon wrote:Looking at those credits again - actor Greg Mills is credited as "Paul".

Can someone help me out - is Paul someone we've seen before? I don't recognise the actor from his photo on imdb. Is he someone from the Las Vegas storyline? If he hasn't shown up before I might think he's the anonymous person in the photo of the glass box.
Nice catch. It must be. Some us were hoping it was Heinrich Veigel. The actor's head shot looks very much like the lab coat guy:
mills.JPGlabcoat.JPG
Sadly I was wrong though! Turns out he's the news anchor...

But that gives us hope for Heinrich Viegel though! (I would also like for him to be Viegel).

I have been going through the cast list looking at imdb for a match for the man in the photo, and I'm now thinking this could be the guy (Jonny Coyne). http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0185431/

Not that it matters, since it doesn't give any clues to what the character's part in all this could be. Could even be another uncredited actor since there's been a few of those.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

Just some quick thoughts.

- the Miriam surname differences are no accident.
- there is no third person standing behind the scientist by the glass box.

And a theory I will just posit here...

In the spirit of focusing on the donut rather than the hole, I think there is some misdirection going on with Diane.

What do we really know about Tamara Preston?
- TSHOTP has clearly up onto this point not fit into any time frame or structure with the new season.
- the character has been described as wooden, a little hollow and just not quite the same as the character outlined in TSHOTP.
- she was clearly not trusted enough to be part of the conversation between Albert and Cole when they spoke about their meeting with BadCoop.
- Diane's performance has always seemed genuine - especially in the Coop interrogation scene - the criticism of Tammy is well known through multiple pages here.
- the information that casts shade on Diane is relayed by Albert but he makes specific mention that it is "according to Tammy" - that seemed important for him to specifically mention.
- also, the jarring scene of Laura is immediately followed on by the slow moving Tammy scene with the bizarre glitch that could possibly be "Laura" - perhaps a warning?

Not saying Tammy is evil, but just think there is more going on here and that the Tammy is possibly not what she seems.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

wxray wrote:

mills.JPGlabcoat.JPG
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but Greg Mills is an LA news anchor who was seen in the segment of Ike's arrest:
https://twitter.com/GregMillsTVNews/sta ... 8236055552
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Thanks to Ashok's HQ stills, I see Sylvia is still wearing her wedding ring, too. So Ben and Sylvia are legally separated? Do legally separated people regularly consult lawyers regarding money and assets?