Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

docLEXfisti wrote:I am only on page 30 of the thread but I have to post now, or I'll forget everything until I manage through another 20 pages ;)

Brilliant episode for me - it was intense and beautiful and terrifying and disgusting all at the same time. What a ride of emotions, absolutely fantastic cinema.

.) Richard Horne killing that innocent Miriam: isn't it funny we wouldn't know by now who he really is, if it wasn't for the credits? It is odd, because Lynch is so secretive and it would have had mouch more suspense this way.

.) Scene with Amanda Seyfried was really terrifying - poor Carl Rodd, he seems as if he tried to do something against it by the way he looks, but it was fruitless and he went to sad-acceptance mode.

.) Mitchum Brothers scene was quite hilarious at times, Candy is acting quite good as well - but it took a bit too long for me when she was chasing that fly.

.) Dougie at the doctors: Dr. Phlox from Star Trek is amazing in this role as Doctor Ben, although he has the same way of talking like the alien he protrayed in Trek. Jane falling in love with her husband again is something I can accept. It sure is a mix of his innocence and new sexyness she finds attractive. Also their debt, a big burden is gone, so it's only natural she is feeling better in their relationship and getting the old marriage jump-started again. Sex scene was very cute with the flapping hands and his final expression. He clearly enjoyed it.

.) Dr. Jacoby and Nadine scene was awesome, I laughed when I saw the run silent, run drapes store... and that Gold-Digging-S showel was the icing on the cake. I see a romance coming on...

.) I still miss Buella

.) Deputy Chad - I think Lucy didn't see how he has hidden the envelope, but she sure seems suspicious... postman as well, Chad winking to him was a non-verbal "move it buddy" as well.... hahahaha. When Lucy started sorting the envelopes, I was sure it was gonna be lasting minutes - surprised it didn't ;)

.) Sylvia and Johnny Horne scene was gruesome and not easy to watch. And NOW we would know Richard is indeed her grandson in EP 10, not in EP 1 if the credits hadn't spoiled it. The intense actions in the scene, the Bear-Robot, the music sounding like German show "Traumschiff" - it was pure Lynch. So I guess Richard is Audrey's son as I suspected. Still no Audrey though <sad>.

.) Albert and Constance scene was amazing, although she still reminds me of the Coroner from the show "Lucifer" the way she behaves and is written. Liked that Gordon and Tammy scene as well, nice and sweet interlude.

.) Candy bringing up that insurance guy is hilarious, the actress sure does a great job. Mitchum's watching the slow action is also very funny.

.) Cole seing Laura as he opens the door is puzzling, very interested to see how that will turn out.

.) Diane being a traitor is something I don't like - hope she is forced or blackmailed to do this. Pciture of Evil Coop and the Box is amazing. I too hope to see Bowie in there as some posters before page 30 - thanks for bringing that up.

.) Why is Ben Horne sill wearing a wedding ring if he is no longer married to Sylvia? Divorced recently? Or married to another woman? Asking Beverly out for dinner is an interesting development after all that resitance.

.) Log-Lady scene was heartbreaking... again. Man that next episodes will be a thrill-ride! Laura is the one - yes - more Sheryl Lee time!

.) End song by RdR - horrible, the singing voice is at least 20% too loud and destroys the whole ambience of this acceptable track. And I think Rebecca del Rio can do perfectly without auto-tune IMO.

========================================
PS: in the first "Now in Production" trailer from showtime I am stil convinced I am seing Bobby Briggs at the end being posessed.

PS2: we still haven't seen those three Cooper scenes with his pin on suit from Showtime teasers 2, 3 and 4 (in car), he looks like Cooper not Dougie, which gives me hope.
I thought it was Gordon in the Now In Production trailer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Really grasping at straws here, but I wonder if the "dinner table" text relates at all to the "Where's my ax?" scene from TMP?
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

I thought it was Lynch dressed as Gordon too.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:
I don't think Richard will come to a good end. But we'll see.

I am still holding out for Coop riding off into the sunset back to Janey-E and Sonny Jim, myself. Like an old Golden Age of Hollywood Western. I think that is his Lynchian happy ending. I'll be pretty crushed if Janey buys the farm.
Yes, i've always wanted Cooper to ride off into the sunset (er, drive off) a'la Gary Cooper in High Noon (thanks, Jacoby)... he rides his Sadan past the sign post and his future is unclear -but he's saved the town.

I don't think Janey-E is going to buy the farm. But I think after Cooper saves them from the hit men or regains his senses, something more surreal is going to happen to them.

I think Richard will not come to a defined bad end, but a bizarre one. One that will be open to a million different theories and interpretations.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Miriam has a Guadian Angel-esque statue in front of her little flower garden to the left of her Companion Trailer door. (...yes it jives with the persistent xmas decor..but....)

It is quite similar to the Angels depicted in FWWM.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Cappy wrote:
Ross wrote:
Cappy wrote:I don't feel sorry for Richard per se... but I am curious about his formative years. I'm guessing he spent a lot of time being tossed between a divorced Ben and Silvia Horne. A distracted Ben probably handed him off to Jerry, Sylvia might've left him alone with an aggressive Johnny. Jerry overloaded him with exotic foods and foreign women, and Johnny scared the hell out of him on a good day. Did Ben and Sylvia try to tell Richard that they were his parents at one point in time, only to reveal the truth when he turned 18? Or did the town rumor mill shatter his world for him?

But if he is the spawn of a doppelganger or BOB then maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe he was always going to be this way.
Why are we removing Audrey from his upbringing? We have no idea yet if she raised him or not.
I don't know. I guess I am just operating off of the popular assumption that she is in a coma. I'm not sure if she is or isn't, but the only mention of her so far has been Doc Hayward saying she was comatose at one point.

Going into this season I was expecting Audrey to be living in Los Angeles. So many Lynch films take place there, i'm surprised that no characters or plot points have led to LA.
I don't think Audrey is in a coma. Sherilyn is in the show- they aren't going to have her do all her scenes from a hospital bed.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Cappy wrote:I don't feel sorry for Richard per se... but I am curious about his formative years. I'm guessing he spent a lot of time being tossed between a divorced Ben and Silvia Horne. A distracted Ben probably handed him off to Jerry, Sylvia might've left him alone with an aggressive Johnny. Jerry overloaded him with exotic foods and foreign women, and Johnny scared the hell out of him on a good day. Did Ben and Sylvia try to tell Richard that they were his parents at one point in time, only to reveal the truth when he turned 18? Or did the town rumor mill shatter his world for him?

But if he is the spawn of a doppelganger or BOB then maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe he was always going to be this way.
What I really like about this "25 years later" thing is we are NOT privy to everything that has happened. Some of this will be revealed, but Frost/Lynch are unsettling us in the real world, much like when you move to a new locale and don't know the history of your neighbors. We just see Richard as he is now, without context. Quite a mystery, and it is making the show intriguing.

As for Richard, It may not even be his upbringing. Richard to me seems to be a classic sociopath. He is dis-inhibited and completely lacks empathy. These are common traits. Richards exist in the real world, and they are extremely dangerous people.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I think that Richard might have a twin sister called Linda. As for the parentage, it's probably Audrey. I remember that all the Donna as mum theories got shot down pretty fast but there's many reasons why Richard may have taken on the Horne name. I imagine he's had a pretty tumultuous life, and Donna seems to be AWOL..
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

wxray wrote:

What I really like about this "25 years later" thing is we are NOT privy to everything that has happened. Some of this will be revealed, but Frost/Lynch are unsettling us in the real world, much like when you move to a new locale and don't know the history of your neighbors. We just see Richard as he is now, without context. Quite a mystery, and it is making the show intriguing.

As for Richard, It may not even be his upbringing. Richard to me seems to be a classic sociopath. He is dis-inhibited and completely lacks empathy. These are common traits. Richards exist in the real world, and they are extremely dangerous people.
Sociopath or psychopath? I am not an expert on the difference, but I tend to think sociopaths as more functional and integrating in society below the radar more than Richard, who seems unable to control his urges.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

mtwentz wrote: Sociopath or psychopath? I am not an expert on the difference, but I tend to think sociopaths as more functional and integrating in society below the radar more than Richard, who seems unable to control his urges.
Either. Unfortunately, the shade of meaning on those two terms differs from English speaking locale to locale. One opinion is here: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/feat ... fference#1

I used the "sociopath" term because that was what me and my neighbors were told to use concerning an unfortunate incident with a neighbor boy. Long story short: he grew up just "wrong," even though his siblings were nice. It was just bad from the start. He tortured animals, etc. It culminated with a murder-suicide of his mother. Very tragic, and left the family and neighbors asking "what could we have done?"

The psychologist said: "not much" and use that term. However, it could be just that psychologist. "psychopath" works for me too. I have to say, Richard is bringing back bad memories, really bad. Reminds me of this kid.

Now, Steven is different. He is not a psychopath. ("Everyone loves Steven.") He's a drugged out kid.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Richard is very much a psychopath.

and man, wow -- what a tragic story.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Audrey Horne wrote:Richard is very much a psychopath.

and man, wow -- what a tragic story.
Yeah, it was. After he murdered his mother, he stuffed her away in the house so that he could hold a 2 day party. Yes, with the corpse near by (nobody knew).

When the cops finally caught up to him after the party, he did himself in.

I mean, evil is real. I think that's why I've connected with Blue Velvet, especially when Sandy and Jeffrey speak of the evil in the world.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

christ - that story only gets worse and worse!
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Audrey Horne wrote:christ - that story only gets worse and worse!
I pulled up a news article about it: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/161472/

What struck me about reading the old news was, damn again, it is so much like Richard. He was upset that his mother called him out for his stealing from her, and that's why he killed her after someone released him on bail without her knowledge. When Richard says: "Why do you have to make something so simple, so fucking difficult" it sent shivers down my spine. I'm surprised he didn't kill her and Johnny.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Reading through this thread has made me all the more unsettled by Richard Horne. His attack on his grandmother might have made him worse than Frank Booth. During that whole scene I was terrified that Johnny would break free and push Richard to do something really awful.

Just in terms of the broader narrative though, I wonder where Richard's story is headed. If he flees town, will Red see it as a sign of betrayal or cooperation with the authorities, and go after him and his family? I'm guessing Chad will go down at some point, and he would rat on Richard without much hesitation.

I'm also curious to see where the Becky/Stephen stuff is going. I'm hoping Shelly gets a big moment where she shows up at the trailer and pulls Becky out of there (channeling Madhcen Amick's character on Riverdale in the process). I still think Bobby is the father and he and Shelly are married, he's just so consumed with being a good guy in the community and atoning for his past behavior that he's neglecting his own family.