Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

trismegistus wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
Because being sexually attracted to your husband is a signifier that you lack self-respect? I know plenty of intelligent and self-respecting people who will go stupid in a manner of seconds once their hormones kick in after an attractive stranger walks by.
No, it wasn't that -- it was the fact that she FINALLY takes him to the doctor and then doesn't seem to want to talk about any of the incredibly strange behavior he's been exhibiting.
I just figured she explained that as her reason why they were there in the first place. Hence why the doctor was behaving so normally with Dougie Coop when he was touching the stethoscope. The doctor was using a tone of voice that was condescending but polite. I took this as him being aware of Dougie's condition
On top of that, Bushnell Mullins said that Dougie had been in a car accident before becoming employed by Lucky 7 Insurance, and that sometimes he showed lingering effects. Also, early on in the season (which is only a few days ago in the timeline), Janey-E says to Dougie that it seems like he's having another one of his episodes (or something to that effect). Dougie has always had issues, and they were probably an effect of having been "created".

Add to this the fact that we only saw a quick glimpse of the doctor visit, that being the part that was pertinent to the later scene.

It's clear that Janey-E is sensing that her husband has become or is becoming a different man, though she couldn't possibly ever guess that Dougie was some kind of a clone of Cooper, and that an amnesiac Cooper has now switched places with her husband. The goodness and joy of good Cooper—his spirit or Atman,—are there in abundance, and in the Ike the Spike scene, he shows unexpected ability and bravery. The greater function of the sex is to show two souls coming close together, falling back in love, or more accurately, unknowingly falling in love for the first time. Janey-E says "Dougie, I love you", and Coop, looking blissful and like he's had an epiphany, repeats "Love you." I think that the repeated words are less like Dougie-Coop mimicking, and more like when he says to Bushnell Mullins, "Figure it out." It's not simply sex, it is, in fact, love.

What will become of it, we don't know, but I'm team Janey-E.
postcoital_bliss.jpg
postcoital_bliss.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 8146 times
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am also Team Janey-E all night long. I dig them together.

I can't see Lynch turning Diane/Laura Dern into a villainess. There has to be more at work. Her reaction was too real.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

blue_tomorrows wrote:Wow, so this was the extra-special "extreme violence against women" episode? Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I have to confess that I had a pretty strong gag reflex to almost everything this week. This is the first time I've felt like walking away and not looking back. :(
This is pretty much the whole of The Return. Just about every Part or every other Part either implies or has violence against women in it.

I'm thinking it's thematically intentional. I'm also thinking that it's reckless and distasteful considering we only have eight episodes left and we're still being slow dripped -- meaning not everything is going to pay off.

Of course I could be wrong... but so far I gotta say it's not looking good.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

A friend of mine is convinced that Becky killed Leo. Closed captions helps in the Becky/Stephen scene.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

When did she kill Leo? In the womb?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Wow.....wow.....wow!!!!!!

Last week was a BIG dissapointment. But this was without a doubt the best of the normal episodes (excluding part 8, that kind of stands on his own).

Absolutely loved it. Even Lucy's scene was good for a change.

I was complaining earlier about not experiencing the real suspence of Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Here it was for a very brief moment. The scene when Cole opens the door and sees Laura. For me this was the scariest scene so far.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:When did she kill Leo? In the womb?
I might be missing something but couldn't she have killed Leo recently?
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Jasper wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
No, it wasn't that -- it was the fact that she FINALLY takes him to the doctor and then doesn't seem to want to talk about any of the incredibly strange behavior he's been exhibiting.
I just figured she explained that as her reason why they were there in the first place. Hence why the doctor was behaving so normally with Dougie Coop when he was touching the stethoscope. The doctor was using a tone of voice that was condescending but polite. I took this as him being aware of Dougie's condition
On top of that, Bushnell Mullins said that Dougie had been in a car accident before becoming employed by Lucky 7 Insurance, and that sometimes he showed lingering effects. Also, early on in the season (which is only a few days ago in the timeline), Janey-E says to Dougie that it seems like he's having another one of his episodes (or something to that effect). Dougie has always had issues, and they were probably an effect of having been "created".

Add to this the fact that we only saw a quick glimpse of the doctor visit, that being the part that was pertinent to the later scene.

It's clear that Janey-E is sensing that her husband has become or is becoming a different man, though she couldn't possibly ever guess that Dougie was some kind of a clone of Cooper, and that an amnesiac Cooper has now switched places with her husband. The goodness and joy of good Cooper—his spirit or Atman,—are there in abundance, and in the Ike the Spike scene, he shows unexpected ability and bravery. The greater function of the sex is to show two souls coming close together, falling back in love, or more accurately, unknowingly falling in love for the first time. Janey-E says "Dougie, I love you", and Coop, looking blissful and like he's had an epiphany, repeats "Love you." I think that the repeated words are less like Dougie-Coop mimicking, and more like when he says to Bushnell Mullins, "Figure it out." It's not simply sex, it is, in fact, love.

What will become of it, we don't know, but I'm team Janey-E.

postcoital_bliss.jpg
Exactly! Well said
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I just don't think Leo's been in circulation since '89.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"I don't ask you to clean. And I know exactly what you did." Steven to Becky.

Something to keep an eye on.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

JohnPalSki wrote:Then he says her response about Hastings was heavily encrypted.
this was Albert being sarcastic as i take it as the text message seems to be exactly clear, direct and revealing - very much unlike the one sent by Bad Coop
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Jerry Horne wrote:A friend of mine is convinced that Becky killed Leo. Closed captions helps in the Becky/Stephen scene.
Pardon my saying - we're all friends here, I hope - but nutty theories abound in this place: Hawk in the woods is a flash-forwards, Dougie's life is taking place in 2003, Bug-Frog is really Laura Palmer and now Becky killed Leo? Leo Johnson? Whom we last saw in a Windom Earle poison spider death trap 25 years ago? I'd like you to prevail upon your friend to elaborate on how he/she got this idea!
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

Another thing I loved about tonight - FINALLY hearing "No Stars" in a David Lynch project. He, Neff, and Rebekah wrote that back in 2001, if I'm remembering Greg Olson's book correctly. That's a hell of a long game.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Brilliant episode by the way. Apart from 8 it had the strongest 'Lynch' vibe. Most scenes were or bordered on uncomfortable.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Jerry Horne wrote:A friend of mine is convinced that Becky killed Leo. Closed captions helps in the Becky/Stephen scene.
All he says is that he knows exactly what she did. Nothing about Leo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk