Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

asmahan
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by asmahan »

Was autotune added to No Stars? It sounds slightly different on Spotify, not to mention very very similar to The World Spins.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Cappy wrote:In the photo of the glass box -- are DoppelCoop and the other figure inside or outside of the glass box?

Maybe it is irrelevant, but the photo means that either DoppelCoop was using the glass box for his own purposes (trapping Coop in Dougie, summoning The Experiment), or that someone pulled him into the glass box similar to how Good Coop was pulled into to glass box.
Cooper's definitely standing outside of it. It's up on a platform. They're just showing that he's in on the experiment, and he might be the one behind the entire operation.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

asmahan wrote:Was autotune added to No Stars? It sounds slightly different on Spotify, not to mention very very similar to The World Spins.
The vocals were tuned VERY hard, 100% pitch correction and a very fast transition. Del Rio has a beautiful natural vibrato and it got squelched on this.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I've figured out a connection between Janey and Chet Desmond.

Aerosmith has a song called "Janie's Got a Gun." The music video starred Kristin Dattilo as Janie. Kristin Dattilo later starred on another Showtime show, "The Chris Isaak Show" which also starred Chris Isaak. As we all know, Chris Isaak played Chet Desmond. It's so obvious now!
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Esselgee wrote:I've figured out a connection between Janey and Chet Desmond.

Aerosmith has a song called "Janie's Got a Gun." The music video starred Kristin Dattilo as Janie. Kristin Dattilo later starred on another Showtime show, "The Chris Isaak Show" which also starred Chris Isaak. As we all know, Chris Isaak played Chet Desmond. It's so obvious now!
And Kevin Bacon fits in where?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I predicted a while back, when we learned that Bad Coop was rich, that he was the billionaire. It makes perfect sense: he wants to capture the Mother/Experiment and have her join him.

I don't see how anyone could find this part boring; all the violence made it quite tense.

And we had plot developments too. Confirmation Diane is probably bad. More evidence that Richard may be Audrey's. Albert on a date (wow!)!

One of the best parts of the season so far. It really makes you desire justice for the wicked.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Hester Prynne wrote:- Have really enjoyed Season 3 so far, but this is the first time I've had reservations and some disappointment in L/F.

The violence against women was off the charts in this episode. I know that has been a criticism of Lynch's work, and being a fan of Twin Peaks and some of Lynch's other work, that's always been something difficult for me to reconcile. I realize this is just a tv show, but even the characters we care about seem to not care - Ben more concerned about having to give his wife (or ex-wife) more money than the fact she was just ruthlessly assaulted by their grandson, Carl Rodd not being too alarmed by the attack on Becky in the trailer - yes, he's old and it isn't likely he can jump in and intervene, but he seemed more irritated by his song getting interrupted than being alarmed by what was happening. And the whole Candy depiction . . . geez . . . is this really how DKL envisions women? I understand that as viewers, we're asked to suspend ourselves from reality and "just go with it," but I didn't find any humor in the Candy scenes - it just seemed abrasively sexist.

Listen - not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I know a lot of people enjoyed Episode 10, and I think there were some great moments - the log lady's haunting call - the best part of all, the scene with Cole in the hotel room, and Rebekah del Rio who knocked it out of the park.

There was just a great deal that really bothered me with the rest of it, and as a Twin Peaks fan for life, it takes a lot to make me feel that way. I hope Episode 11 will be more redeeming.
Ben was worried about his son and the answer he got was "What about me? What about my money?" I think he's bothered by her vanity than by having to give her money. And I did not think for a second that Carl was annoyed that his song was cut off. He cut off his song because he was annoyed at the squabble. And like i said in another comment, he's a manager of a trailer park. It probably happens often, he's old, and there's only the sound of yelling inside the trailer..not violence. Also, like Lynch says in Catching the Big Fish, just because there's a woman character doesn't mean they represent all women and just because there's a male character doesn't mean they represent all men. They're meant to represent that character. Candy crying over whacking Knepper on the head is just an example of "strange and unproductive thinking", a theme that runs through his work much more than violence towards women [which I'd like to add that there's plenty of violence towards men in his films as well].
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

guildnavigator wrote:
asmahan wrote:Was autotune added to No Stars? It sounds slightly different on Spotify, not to mention very very similar to The World Spins.
The vocals were tuned VERY hard, 100% pitch correction and a very fast transition. Del Rio has a beautiful natural vibrato and it got squelched on this.
Regardless of what was done in post, Rebekah Del Rio is a phenomenal singer. I thought the end product was dreamy, gorgeous perfection.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

ThumbsUp wrote:
garethw wrote:
Esselgee wrote:So was that Moby as one of the musicians at the end?
I wondered if he was the guy talking to NaughtyCoop outside the Box.
I wonder if Jefferies was recast and it's David Bowie's good friend Moby (another "Musician," as per this ep's credits) in his place.
Please no. Very few people can come close to recasting Bowie and the few who can of the cast were already confirmed not to. I'm desperately hoping fore some spare filmed scenes in addition to CGI.
bneg221

Post by bneg221 »

Bowie?
bowie.jpg
bowie.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

trismegistus wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:- Have really enjoyed Season 3 so far, but this is the first time I've had reservations and some disappointment in L/F.

The violence against women was off the charts in this episode. I know that has been a criticism of Lynch's work, and being a fan of Twin Peaks and some of Lynch's other work, that's always been something difficult for me to reconcile. I realize this is just a tv show, but even the characters we care about seem to not care - Ben more concerned about having to give his wife (or ex-wife) more money than the fact she was just ruthlessly assaulted by their grandson, Carl Rodd not being too alarmed by the attack on Becky in the trailer - yes, he's old and it isn't likely he can jump in and intervene, but he seemed more irritated by his song getting interrupted than being alarmed by what was happening. And the whole Candy depiction . . . geez . . . is this really how DKL envisions women? I understand that as viewers, we're asked to suspend ourselves from reality and "just go with it," but I didn't find any humor in the Candy scenes - it just seemed abrasively sexist.

Listen - not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I know a lot of people enjoyed Episode 10, and I think there were some great moments - the log lady's haunting call - the best part of all, the scene with Cole in the hotel room, and Rebekah del Rio who knocked it out of the park.

There was just a great deal that really bothered me with the rest of it, and as a Twin Peaks fan for life, it takes a lot to make me feel that way. I hope Episode 11 will be more redeeming.
Ben was worried about his son and the answer he got was "What about me? What about my money?" I think he's bothered by her vanity than by having to give her money. And I did not think for a second that Carl was annoyed that his song was cut off. He cut off his song because he was annoyed at the squabble. And like i said in another comment, he's a manager of a trailer park. It probably happens often, he's old, and there's only the sound of yelling inside the trailer..not violence. Also, like Lynch says in Catching the Big Fish, just because there's a woman character doesn't mean they represent all women and just because there's a male character doesn't mean they represent all men. They're meant to represent that character. Candy crying over whacking Knepper on the head is just an example of "strange and unproductive thinking", a theme that runs through his work much more than violence towards women [which I'd like to add that there's plenty of violence towards men in his films as well].
And the violence against women is almost always perpetrated by unquestionably evil men. I don't understand why people are so quick to criticize the violence against women when the point is that it is MEN who are committing the violence. That's the commentary there; it's not about how Lynch views women, it's about how he views men.
Last edited by LateReg on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think what Lynch presents of the men in this episode is that most of the 'bad' ones are weak or buffoons. The Mitchums are undone and flustered by Candie at every turn; they're like big kids. Ben gives in to temptation with Beverly because Sylvia emasculates him. Steven is a wreck. I think the material reflects far worse on those men. Even Carl is too weak in the face of evil to act, because what pervades the town is too strong for him to always stand against. His inaction in the face of horror is commonplace.

I could've watched an hour of just Candie and the Mitchums. That was a hoot. And I loved Janey-E.

Really hope Diane is not the black hat she appears.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Hockey Mask wrote:

Chris Isaak was in "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" with Keifer Sutherland who was in "Flatliners" with Kevin Bacon. BAM!
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Esselgee wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Chris Isaak was in "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" with Keifer Sutherland who was in "Flatliners" with Kevin Bacon. BAM!
Thank you.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Just before the roadhouse stage singing etc scene at the end, the exterior is shown at night and while it was dark I thought I saw a motorcyle pull up.
Did anyone else see this and wonder if it might be James Hurley again finally?