Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

wxray wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

I'm not kidding this is devastating. Briggs saw only half the picture. So sad.
Or, maybe, Ashbrook was just trying to act natural. Look at his watch and discover an itch. No big deal. (Damn I hope so.)
It's funny how, in a show like this, we'll question everything. Someone scratching and inch, someone checking their phone. Both of which I've done today.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:It's obvious: Bobby is finally BOB.
This is one of my worries.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

mammajamma wrote:Is anyone else reading the ongoing mystery between Mr. C and Diane as an extension of the power a rapist holds over their victim? I think Diane has been trying to make an honest go of it over the 25 years, but is going to wind up doing something that benefits him.
That's how I read on first viewing. On a second viewing I can see alternative interpretations, but it's not obvious one way or the other.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Burns's Suite wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote: Do you remember when in Part 1 it was mentioned between Ray and Darya about setting up the secretary? I remember Cooper telling Ray he needs the information.
Evil Coop doesn't need anything
I'm glad someone else pointed that out! :-)
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr Sparkle.jpg
Mr Sparkle.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

DeepBlueSeed wrote: I think there's two points here. One, when Ray and Mr C talk about going to The Farm it is based upon the assumption that they'd drive to meet up with nearby allies, who can sort them out with phones/guns - it isn't necessarily where Ray actually wants to get to. Two, Ray knows Mr C had 'help' and may well be on his trail. He does not want to go anywhere he has discussed going to with Mr C.
Yeah, but he also tells Jeffries that he knows where Mr C is heading next so if he makes it there he'll finish him off.

So either Mr C went to a different farm (confusing) or Ray snuck out when it became clear Mr C's allies were coming (maybe Jeffries was able to give him a heads up)
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

253 time and time again... is that why there are 2 dates on the piece of paper that Major Briggs left Bobby,Hawk and Truman?
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

^ooo i have an idea about that: 1st date the lodges open, 2nd date the lodges close?
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

dontlooknow wrote:but its ... hoof ... what is it called ...
- a paw.
- a paw!

Goodfellas?
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

kafa81 wrote:253 time and time again... is that why there are 2 dates on the piece of paper that Major Briggs left Bobby,Hawk and Truman?

is it possible the 253 hasn't happened yet in TPeaks? that city's timeline is slightly behind the Mr. C /LodgeCoop events?

2 2:53s seem odd to me. unless one is an opening and one is a closing for either/both lodges.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

dud wrote:^ooo i have an idea about that: 1st date the lodges open, 2nd date the lodges close?

That is a pretty good idea :)

It clearly says 253 on the piece of paper, and there are two dates... :!: :?:
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

kafa81 wrote:253 time and time again... is that why there are 2 dates on the piece of paper that Major Briggs left Bobby,Hawk and Truman?
I wonder if it's referring to 2:53 AM on the night of 10/1 (so, the night that 10/1 becomes 10/2). Briggs is a military guy, so it seems like he would have used 14:53 if he was talking about the afternoon.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Never got around to posting some thoughts...

- I really, really loved the smoking scene with Gordon, Diane and Tammy- especially on rewatch, studying Gordon from the beginning (watch his left hand!). Some wonderful acting from Lynch and Dern. It's played so perfectly, you can pinpoint the moment when the temptation hits Gordon, then slowly watch his coy smile fade as he starts getting impatient and frustrated. I felt like I could also pinpoint the moment Diane realises what he wants, but makes him suffer. The "we used to smoke together way back when, do you remember?" / "yeah we sure did, Gordon... we sure did" exchange was a beautiful moment, and showed a side of Diane we hadn't seen yet.

- Re: Chad trying to get help with the door- whoever said they've never known Hawk not to be civil, their name mustn't be Richard Tremayne!

- I'm extremely wary of the Hastings plotline now after previously being excited about it. I'll wait to see if there's a more to it than meets the eye before condemning it...

- So, it seems that the farm where the doppelgänger ended up was the place that he told Chantal to go to in E1 ("I need you and Hutch in a certain area in a few days") which pretty much confirms that his incarceration and escape was entirely planned, as was widely suspected. It seems like whatever was in Hutch's brown bag is the main reason he needed them to be there, along with the uh... packet of crisps.

- Same scene- Doppelgänger told Hutch "then there's a double header for you in Vegas" after the warden- presumably that's Cooper, and who? Bushnell? Ike? Janey-E?

- Loved the delivery of Watts's "Oh, no thanks, but thanks for bringing one for Dougie" line

- Kyle Maclachlan's acting in the series impresses me more with every scene, especially in Dougie mode

- I have to admit I wasn't exactly thrilled to see Bobby back in the show when were first introduced to him, but I loved him in this episode.

- The implementation of the roadhouse bands is trying my patience- this time we had about a 30 second changeover between acts- they must have a seriously impressive crew of super-roadies on the books to clear away the decks and setup Au Revoire Simone's gear in that time. I wouldn't mind, if it wasn't just to crowbar in another (reasonably) big name act for the sake of it.
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

wxray wrote:Is it a dog?

:)

I think it's a bunny. It always was about the bunny.

:lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:Same scene- Doppelgänger told Hutch "then there's a double header for you in Vegas" after the warden- presumably that's Cooper, and who? Bushnell? Ike? Janey-E?
I assumed Duncan Todd, now that he (like Lorraine) delegated to an unworthy subordinate who botched the hit on Coop.