Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

wxray wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

I'm not kidding this is devastating. Briggs saw only half the picture. So sad.
Or, maybe, Ashbrook was just trying to act natural. Look at his watch and discover an itch. No big deal. (Damn I hope so.)
Or it's a mild allergic reaction to Chad who's actually dealing the stuff so there could be some drug residue in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Just rewatched the scene. He's snot scratching his wrist. He's just toying with his jacket. You can see that he puts his fingers underneath the jacket and he scratches it with the thumb.

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

yaxomoxay wrote:Just rewatched the scene. He's snot scratching his wrist. He's just toying with his jacket. You can see that he puts his fingers underneath the jacket and he scratches it with the thumb.

At first, and then he scratches his wrist.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

When Bushnell was making a fist, it reminded me of Lil in FWWM. I need to rewatch. Did Chet say that Lil's fist indicated that the local law enforcement would be belligerent? Of was that the sour face?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

yaxomoxay wrote: Or it's a mild allergic reaction to Chad who's actually dealing the stuff so there could be some drug residue in the air.
Yes. thank you. Good save, lets hope this is correct!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Probably apropos of nothing, but Bobby had a tic in the Pilot and one or two other early DKL-directed episodes of the original show where he toyed with the wrist-zipper on his jacket, pulling it up and down. His movements here made me think of that.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

BigEd wrote:When Bushnell was making a fist, it reminded me of Lil in FWWM. I need to rewatch. Did Chet say that Lil's fist indicated that the local law enforcement would be belligerent? Of was that the sour face?
The scene with Lil was the first thing I thought while watching that scene with Bushnell.
-
As above, so below.
-
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I seem to have missed the point that Bill's secretary was killed in a car bomb. When did this happen/how did we find out. Have I just forgotten something from an earlier part?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Deep Thought wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote: Or it's a mild allergic reaction to Chad who's actually dealing the stuff so there could be some drug residue in the air.
Yes. thank you. Good save, lets hope this is correct!
lol yeah I am just hoping!!!
I also think that Bobby and the Major will "become one" (Bobby will become the Major) pretty soon, so...

Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I bet Bushnell is going to pop someone.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't think anything bad is going to happen to Bobby, or he's a corrupt cop. I think he will have a complete enlightening arc and happy fulfilled story ending. He might take a bullet or something along the way, but I feel his story is going to be one of the most satisfying... Just for the sentiment of Major Briggs alone.

Amazing we are half way through and we still don't know if Bobby and Shelly are together. If Ed and Norma or Ed and Nadine are together. if Ben and Sylvia are still married. If Audrey is still in a coma or even living in Twin Peaks. Going into the second half, this is all very exciting to me.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I bet Bushnell is going to pop someone.
I hope so. I think he's a great character.

NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

baxter wrote:I seem to have missed the point that Bill's secretary was killed in a car bomb. When did this happen/how did we find out. Have I just forgotten something from an earlier part?
This is the first time it was mentioned.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

HagbardCeline wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:A couple of questions I didn't see brought up.

1) William Hastings says he doesn't have the coordinates as Ruth wrote them down. If that's the case, why would his secretary have them? Ray was trying to get them from his secretary correct? Or are these separate coordinates? One that Briggs is looking for and ones that helped him enter the 'dimension'?

2) Whoever grabbed William Hastings in the 'dimension', why would they ask for his wife's name? That part seemed unusual but I do remember Bad Cooper telling her she 'mimics' human behavior well.
I brought them up a few posts ago, trying to figure out the Hastings/Ruth/Secretary timeline.

1. Hastings/Ruth figure out the coordinates from some old government document.
2. They go to coordinates at appointed time and there's a portal, through which they meet The Major.
3. He asks them to get him some different coordinates from a secure government resource.
4. Hastings/Ruth get the coordinates. At some point during this process, the secretary gets the info too? (Ray says she knows what he knows?)
5. Ruth writes the coordinates down on her hand so she won't forget them.
6. They go back to the Portal and give the coordinates to Briggs whose body floats up (like??????) head then disappears from hearing the numbers.
7. While this is going on they are attacked "There were so many people there" (Woodsmen?) Ruth is killed (head pushed in by Woodsman hands?)
8. Hastings cradles her as she dies.
9. Hastings wakes up back in his bed. (Ruth's head/Briggs Body transported to *her* bed somehow).

I wonder if Hastings' return home was similar to Briggs' return after his trip to the White Lodge in the original series. He showed up in a WW1 flying ace outfit with both loss of time and displacement of time. I just can't quite understand why Briggs going to the White Lodge again (or his head anyway) would somehow lead to Ruth's death (and not Hastings too?)

Cooper didn't say she mimicked human behavior, he was basically telling her that she was soooo predictable. "You follow human nature perfectly." She turned on her husband. She immediately invited George over to bang while her husband was in the lockup. DoppleCoop kills her with George's gun. He comes over and finds her dead body...doesn't realize it was his gun, calls police...etc etc etc. There is the theory from weeks ago that the ripple in her head was a lodge denizen leaving her as she's shot, but I think that was just Lynch adding an affect to hide dodgy brain spattering FX?

It's funny thinking about how the whole Buckhorn SD plot would have made its own TV show though doesn't it?

School Principal and school librarian discover a mutual interest in the occult. Some unseen foreign guy (H.V.) collaborates with Hastings on a blog, and possibly even steers Hastings towards a discovery. On the surface Hastings and his wife seem like the perfect family, but secretly she's having an affair with her Lawyer. He knows about it, and doesn't hold back as the mutual attraction with Ruth grows. They make some discoveries. DoppleCoop arrives on the scene and starts banging Hastings' wife too. (...and ONE OTHER GUY he says to her in the jail scene). Ostensibly to keep tabs on her Husband's activities since he seems to be getting close to something. Hastings and Ruth have the breakthrough and open the portal. They see The Major who tells them where to find some other coordinates and how. They do the break-in and get the coordinates to the Major whose head floats off and then all hell breaks loose as the Woodsmen come and murder Ruth. Hastings wakes up in his bed. Ruth is found dead, later arrested...etc etc etc. Sounds like an exciting show. What happens in Season 2?
Good summary.

I re-watched the scene with Bill Hastings and his wife in prison and he tells her that he had a dream that he was at Ruth's apartment. That wasn't mentioned at all in the interrogation so I wonder if it's an inconsistency?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

deleted
Last edited by BigEd on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.