Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Jerry Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Probably nothing but did anyone else notice, during the Chad lunch scene, Bobby scratching himself? Rash?
Leave Bobby alone, Jerry! He's a good man/cop!
No, he's dirrrty and has a Sparkle rash.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

What happened to Ray? If Chantal and Hutch commandeered the farm and had been there all night waiting for Mr. C, wouldn't Ray have arrived before Mr. C? I'm assuming this is the same farm Ray refers to in the car because that's probably why Mr. C had Hutch and Chantal there - he rightly assumed that's where Ray would want to go. They would help kill Ray or get rid of Ray's body (Mr. C doesn't seem to like cleaning up his own crime scenes) in addition to hooking up Mr. C with whatever supplies he needed after getting out of jail. Ray seemed pretty set on going to the farm even after shooting Mr. C, saying he would just kill him there if Mr. C came after him. Did he keep on driving or did Chantal and Hutch kill him? Wouldn't they have told Mr. C that? Is it possible that Hutch and Chantal might be pulling one over on Mr. C?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Hester Prynne wrote:What happened to Ray? If Chantal and Hutch commandeered the farm and had been there all night waiting for Mr. C, wouldn't Ray have arrived before Mr. C? I'm assuming this is the same farm Ray refers to in the car because that's probably why Mr. C had Hutch and Chantal there - he rightly assumed that's where Ray would want to go. They would help kill Ray or get rid of Ray's body (Mr. C doesn't seem to like cleaning up his own crime scenes) in addition to hooking up Mr. C with whatever supplies he needed after getting out of jail. Ray seemed pretty set on going to the farm even after shooting Mr. C, saying he would just kill him there if Mr. C came after him. Did he keep on driving or did Chantal and Hutch kill him? Wouldn't they have told Mr. C that? Is it possible that Hutch and Chantal might be pulling one over on Mr. C?
I am not sure that is THE farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

I'm not kidding this is devastating. Briggs saw only half the picture. So sad.
Last edited by Deep Thought on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

"The farm" might not even be a farm. And why would we assume Ray even knows who Hutch and Chantal are, or that if he did, he would trust them after his Bad Coop confrontation?
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Hester Prynne wrote:What happened to Ray? If Chantal and Hutch commandeered the farm and had been there all night waiting for Mr. C, wouldn't Ray have arrived before Mr. C? I'm assuming this is the same farm Ray refers to in the car because that's probably why Mr. C had Hutch and Chantal there - he rightly assumed that's where Ray would want to go. They would help kill Ray or get rid of Ray's body (Mr. C doesn't seem to like cleaning up his own crime scenes) in addition to hooking up Mr. C with whatever supplies he needed after getting out of jail. Ray seemed pretty set on going to the farm even after shooting Mr. C, saying he would just kill him there if Mr. C came after him. Did he keep on driving or did Chantal and Hutch kill him? Wouldn't they have told Mr. C that? Is it possible that Hutch and Chantal might be pulling one over on Mr. C?
These were my thoughts. Hutch was very suspiciously tolerant of Mr C groping his wife. I think Ray was there for sure. Everyone is afraid of Mr C but nobody likes him.
If you think of the first scene with Bueller and Otis, the guy at the door would have killed Mr C of he could.

When Mr C killed Darya, Chantal says 'Good I was getting so jealous of that bitch' but Darya was similarly doting on C in public.

No one wants to be killed, but like Warden Murphy everyone wants Mr C dead. Also Jeffries seems to be throwing around huge sums of money to kill C
Chantal and Hutch would definitely turn on Mr C for some sweet Jeffries cash
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

yaxomoxay wrote:
I am not sure that is THE farm.
Right. Hutch and Chantel picked a farm on an ad hoc basis and put the farmers "to sleep." They marked the farm by a red scarf, which indicated to Evil Coop where to meet. Ray likely knows nothing of this.

It looked to be a meeting place that happens to be a farm, different than what Evil Coop mentioned to Ray.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:[quote=
Chantal and Hutch would definitely turn on Mr C for some sweet Jeffries cash
Great post. He may know they are completely loyal because they have seen things. The things he can do. They are sure no one can overcome him so they stay on the "winning" side.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Deep Thought wrote:It is heartbreaking to go back and watch Bobby scratch his wrist. Whyyyyyyyyy!!??

It does fit in with his first scene which pretty clearly sets him up as an accomplice to Red. :-(

I'm not kidding this is devastating. Briggs saw only half the picture. So sad.
Or, maybe, Ashbrook was just trying to act natural. Look at his watch and discover an itch. No big deal. (Damn I hope so.)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Chantal and Hutch seem very loyal to Mr. C. Her reason is obvious, but Hutch's loyalty makes me wonder if Mr. C. doesn't have them both under magical sway.

I also assume Hutch and Chantal have profited greatly by being loyal to Mr. C.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

I think their loyalty is mainly motivated by fear. They don't want to get murdered.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

HagbardCeline wrote: School Principal and school librarian discover a mutual interest in the occult.
I don't recall them ever stating that Ruth was the school's librarian. I thought she was the town's librarian.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Framed_Angel wrote: He mainly spoke of Ruth, and it was revealed in part 9 how the two of them built the website and had this partnership on a shared mission. So with a whole blog operating to that end, with viewers and a donation page etc -- how come Hastings felt he could conceal in the first interrogation that he even knew Ruth? He was like "Uh.. her name's familiar!" Wouldn't he suppose sooner or later that a relationship with someone involved together on a website would be figured out? It adds to my confusion, definitely.
I don't believe that Ruth is mentioned anywhere on the website (for this very reason).
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

madeleineferguson wrote:
Not sure about "the Penguin", but it seemed apparent to me that "the Zebra" was referencing Ella's hair. Her dark roots had grown in again, and next to her blond white hair, she looks like a zebra. The zebra is back again...
If your theory is correct (and I think it just might be - thanks), it doesn't take much R rated thinking to figure out the Penguin reference. :lol:
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

PeteMartell wrote:I think their loyalty is mainly motivated by fear. They don't want to get murdered.
Maybe. I don't see any fear on their part yet. Not like Darya, or Rey's antagonism.

They seem like loyal henchpeople.