Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

sewhite2000 wrote:Hey, somebody remind me where this concept of Major Briggs "hibernating" is coming from. Was that a word that was used in the episode? I'm just suddenly seeing everyone on here casually dropping this word as if it's a thing we've all been saying all along.
Hastings says it to Tammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Also, I thought it was pretty clear in the book that Major Briggs was the Archivist.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Hey, somebody remind me where this concept of Major Briggs "hibernating" is coming from. Was that a word that was used in the episode? I'm just suddenly seeing everyone on here casually dropping this word as if it's a thing we've all been saying all along.
Hastings says it to Tammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, thanks. I need to watch that scene again!
vawriter

Post by vawriter »

I was struck by the music used at the start of the Great Northern scene. It's the start of Laura's Theme. I wonder if that's not a clue that Laura is the source of the humming sounds. Maybe she's trapped in the walls or in that lamp in the corner?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sewhite2000 wrote:Also, I thought it was pretty clear in the book that Major Briggs was the Archivist.
Agreed.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

vawriter wrote:I was struck by the music used at the start of the Great Northern scene. It's the start of Laura's Theme. I wonder if that's not a clue that Laura is the source of the humming sounds. Maybe she's trapped in the walls or in that lamp in the corner?
The same music was used to underscore Andy waiting for "The Farmer" with the truck near Sparkwood and 21. A lot of the choices when they use the old music haven't seemed very thematically linked. Like using the percussion to underscore an establishing shot of Vegas in part 2, or the use of the Deer Meadow music in this episode.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

To be fair, the Laura Theme/Love Theme was also used all over the place on the original show too. I wouldn't read too much into it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Don't forget the first time we hear the Laura theme in the pilot is when we see Josie looking in the mirror. So Josie has a connection to the first part of the Laura theme.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

vawriter wrote:I was struck by the music used at the start of the Great Northern scene. It's the start of Laura's Theme. I wonder if that's not a clue that Laura is the source of the humming sounds. Maybe she's trapped in the walls or in that lamp in the corner?
almost certainly Josie, surely? Or Lynch/Frost definitely want us to think that it is.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

wxray wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Yep, them farmers is killed.
sleep = killed goes way back, and was popularized by in The Godfather.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sleep_with_the_fishes
I'd suggest it goes all the way back to the Bible!
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Re: Ella and that bottomless can of beer.

Firstly, shes a "flake" and perhaps killing time with limited funds, nursing a beer so she wont get tossed for vagrancy.

Seconds, the banter between the two evokes the non sequitor chatter in the Pink Room in FWWM, where Laura assumes the role as "the Muffin" in response to Jaques non de plume, "the Great Went"...

(...not so non sequitor, when you take it along with the origin of muffin title from Missing Pieces... my favorite outake... )

So zebras and penguins fit right in.

Thirds... maybe Ella is just a flake. Period.

~" Chug-a-lug, Donna..."

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Dez

Post by Dez »

AgentEcho wrote: Then he gets up and walks to the suitcase, and you can see the other hand in the mirror. He doesn't have the cast on. Could be a continuity error, but the camera actually moves so you can see the reflection so it seems more intentional.
Nice little disorienting trick there: what seems to be a right hand in a mirror is actually a left. There is only one hand visible throughout the scene.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Daliz wrote:The Hastings/secretary/Ruth thing sure is confusing.

Mr C was tricked with the gun so I think it is possible that Ray has lied to him about the coordinates. Mr C is definitely very smart and gets things done his way with the power of money and intimidation. But he is not perfect.
Maybe the secretary is still alive and we'll see her and Ray in a future episode?
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Dez wrote:
AgentEcho wrote: Then he gets up and walks to the suitcase, and you can see the other hand in the mirror. He doesn't have the cast on. Could be a continuity error, but the camera actually moves so you can see the reflection so it seems more intentional.
Nice little disorienting trick there: what seems to be a right hand in a mirror is actually a left. There is only one hand visible throughout the scene.
Yes, it's his left arm that is in view all the time. At first it's the view of him from behind, facing the mirror, then he gets up and the camera is still trained on the mirror as he walks towards his suitcase on the bed, but only his left arm is in view. In fact, he's holding his right arm protectively bent against his body.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Could the "Penguin" referenced by Sky Ferreira be Annie Blackburn and her past (possibly present) as a nun?