Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Yep, them farmers is killed.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

HagbardCeline wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:Why are the co-ordinates on his own web site then?
Those are probably the first set of coordinates that led them to where Briggs was hibernating. Assuming they aren't just a fun easter egg planted by Rhino Records marketing the soundtrack album. They could have zero to do with the coordinates talked about in the show. I have a feeling the marketing wonks just found a spot in the woods and slapped the coordinates on the site.
Thanks - do the coordinates not bring up the Convenience Store clip though?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

DeepBlueSeed wrote: Chantal is no stranger to clearing things up, like Darya's body. I suspect these guys are very competent at what they do.

Mr C actually seems to appreciate these guys. When Hutch says he can get what Mr C needs we doesn't pull him up on the fact that he doesn't NEED anything.

Then again, that line was originally BOB's, appearing in the Secret Diary. Maybe that's a subtle hint that BOB's not there any more.
All I inferred was that Chantal and Hutch are long-time, trusted allies of the doppelganger. He uses less reliable small-time hoods like Ray and Darya as immediate/disposable help, but he always has his two partners close by as well. Partners familiar with his grander agenda and fully allegient to him -- even sexually.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Yep, them farmers is killed.
sleep = killed goes way back, and was popularized by in The Godfather.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sleep_with_the_fishes
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Wonderful & Strange wrote: One reason exposition is necessary is when there are certain aspects of the plot that either can't be shown dramatically to the audience or really aren't important enough to slow down for and represent in the moment.
Right, some of this had to happen due to Garland Briggs playing a role while dead in real life.

The alternative would be for Lucy to go into some cute long exposition like she did at the start of Season 2. Maybe that would make some people happy. :wink:
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Some people up-thread seemed to think that Ike The Spike didn't have the wrapping on his hand before he walks out into the hallway, but they carefully shoot the scene so you don't see his wounded hand. He's drinking his whiskey left handed and his right hand is out of the frame for the whole scene. I also think he was making the worried squeaking sound right before the scene ends.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

MoondogJR wrote:Do we know who JT is, Ike the Spike mentions?
Repeat.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

KyleRickards wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:Why are the co-ordinates on his own web site then?
Those are probably the first set of coordinates that led them to where Briggs was hibernating. Assuming they aren't just a fun easter egg planted by Rhino Records marketing the soundtrack album. They could have zero to do with the coordinates talked about in the show. I have a feeling the marketing wonks just found a spot in the woods and slapped the coordinates on the site.
Thanks - do the coordinates not bring up the Convenience Store clip though?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clicking on them reveals a fun and creepy video, yes. Following the coordinates themselves you get a place in rural South Dakota. I don't think we're meant to infer that Hastings posted the coordinates he and Ruth discovered on his blog.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

HagbardCeline wrote:Some people up-thread seemed to think that Ike The Spike didn't have the wrapping on his hand before he walks out into the hallway, but they carefully shoot the scene so you don't see his wounded hand. He's drinking his whiskey left handed and his right hand is out of the frame for the whole scene. I also think he was making the worried squeaking sound right before the scene ends.
Then he gets up and walks to the suitcase, and you can see the other hand in the mirror. He doesn't have the cast on. Could be a continuity error, but the camera actually moves so you can see the reflection so it seems more intentional.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
DamnFineCreamedCorn wrote:Have I got this right, because I hope not: Bill and Ruth got the coordinates to enter the zone from a government computer? And these are the same coordinates Mr C has been seeking?

Given Mr C's demonstrated technomancy, especially hacking secure facilities, why would he need to get them from Bill's secretary? And why would she have them? And why would she only trust Ray with them? And why is she dead now?

The more I think about Part 9, the less happy I am with it. Hurry on, Part 10.
That computer could have been off the grid, therefore inaccessible to Mr. C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm also suspecting Mr C is not the only person using technomancy. I suspect he now knows that, which is why he is frequently getting rid of his phones.
Probably.
It is also possible that it was a nod to the fact that Ruth is the Archivist. In TSHOTP Tamara says that The Archivist most likely has government clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

AgentEcho wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:Some people up-thread seemed to think that Ike The Spike didn't have the wrapping on his hand before he walks out into the hallway, but they carefully shoot the scene so you don't see his wounded hand. He's drinking his whiskey left handed and his right hand is out of the frame for the whole scene. I also think he was making the worried squeaking sound right before the scene ends.
Then he gets up and walks to the suitcase, and you can see the other hand in the mirror. He doesn't have the cast on. Could be a continuity error, but the camera actually moves so you can see the reflection so it seems more intentional.
He says to the person on the phone that he's going to give himself some medical attention, so presumably he bandages himself up before he packs and leaves.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Moondog Jr's reckoning of the most-credited actors in the "Crazy Credits" thread calls attention to something interesting: discounting Sheryl Lee (who was credited every Part to date despite only featuring in one new scene), 10 of the 11 top actors credited in the most Parts play law enforcement characters (Janey-E is the one exception). This isn't as exact a science as LostInTheMovies's screentime accounting from the old series, but it is interesting to me. I think this phenomenon goes a ways toward explaining the fact that I was colder on Part 9 than the previous parts: aside from the DoppelCoop opening and the Ella/rash girl ending, and brief interludes with the Hornes (Jerry, Ben/Beverly, and that bizarre Johnny scene), this entire Part was focused solely on the law encorcement characters' investigations (even the DougieCoop scene was from the Fuscos' perspective). I imagine this was a conscious choice (another instance of DKL fashioning a Part in episodic/thematic fashion despite his insistence that they're not episodes), but it really felt more like a straight procedural than anything previous in the TP universe, or in DKL's body of work.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Moondog Jr's reckoning of the most-credited actors in the "Crazy Credits" thread calls attention to something interesting: discounting Sheryl Lee (who was credited every Part to date despite only featuring in one new scene), 10 of the 11 top actors credited in the most Parts play law enforcement characters (Janey-E is the one exception). This isn't as exact a science as LostInTheMovies's screentime accounting from the old series, but it is interesting to me. I think this phenomenon goes a ways toward explaining the fact that I was colder on Part 9 than the previous parts: aside from the DoppelCoop opening and the Ella/rash girl ending, and brief interludes with the Hornes (Jerry, Ben/Beverly, and that bizarre Johnny scene), this entire Part was focused solely on the law encorcement characters' investigations (even the DougieCoop scene was from the Fuscos' perspective). I imagine this was a conscious choice (another instance of DKL fashioning a Part in episodic/thematic fashion despite his insistence that they're not episodes), but it really felt more like a straight procedural than ever before.
That's a great observation. I feel the same way, and the "straight procedural" does seem very deliberate and considered. I'm sure Frost and Lynch, after Part 8, felt it necessary to touch back down again, (as much as Twin Peaks can do that) and make as solid and defined a story as they could with this Part. Really drawing lines in the sand. The visuals I think scream that approach. After the wild experimentation of Part 8, Part 9 is so understated and static with the way everything's shot. Bar some nice light/shade work, this part is shot really economically and straight as an arrow, for Lynch standards.

I'm hoping that any attempts the law enforcement characters are making to understand and connect the narratives going on are dwarfed by unknowable events, something that covers any tracks of comprehension. I'm sure they won't figure things out. Lots of people in regards to this part have felt something on the horizon, and I'm feeling that too. This part was almost too comfortable, too convenient and instantly gratifying for Twin Peaks.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Ike's injury and subsequent wrapping reminds me of Jame's Dog's Bollocks friend, and his covering on his hand. Someone try to squeeze his hand off at some time?
ikedogbollocks.JPG
ikedogbollocks.JPG (48.42 KiB) Viewed 9104 times
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Hey, somebody remind me where this concept of Major Briggs "hibernating" is coming from. Was that a word that was used in the episode? I'm just suddenly seeing everyone on here casually dropping this word as if it's a thing we've all been saying all along.