Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

mtwentz wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Hutch has an interesting relationship with his wife Chantal. He's plenty happy to have her make time with Bad Coop. A polyamorous threesome, or he's simply a voyeur?
My initial take is that it shows Hutch's total devotion to DoppelCoop. Maybe his way of proving his loyalty?
Did they say/show they are husband and wife or could they also be brother and sister or cousins?

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
garethw wrote:
Cipher wrote: Also, the Buckhorn coroner is my favorite new character. I love her.
Yeah, I really enjoy her, too. Is she making eyes at Albert?
I thought was a great, but subtle touch. Maybe not that subtle, but nicely conveyed without really saying anything much. The faint smile that appears on his face.
I just rewatched the episode and noticed something else. After the morgue scene, Gordon and Tammy join Diane without Albert and Gordon says: "We came out to join you, Diane, while Albert's indisposed." Why is Albert indisposed? Is he still in the morgue and talking to Constance? :D He can't have been too far away because he is back later when they question Hastings. I guess, he could have been absent from the scene because the emphasis was on the awkward Tammy/Gordon/Diane triangle but that would have also worked with Albert lurking somewhere in the background, so I am really wondering if there was more to his absence and it could have been another subtle way to establish a later friendship or relationship between Albert and Constance.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Not a fan of Matthew Lillard's acting in this episode. The crying was too forced, I thought he was faking at first.
I was also a bit bothered by that at first. But I don't think his acting skills were lacking there (I'd be surprised if they were. For me his acting had been the most impressive this season), rather that Lynch pushed him to exaggerate. Eventually, it created this awkward mix of vicarious shame and downright eeriness. It also served nicely as a build up for Albert's punchline. All in all, I was very content with the scene, and now regard that flaw as a well put one.

"There were so many people there'' did creep the shit out of me. It seems like something way, way more evil than say Laura or Maddy's murder was going on there. I'm thinking 'FWWM convenience store scene meets ritualistic murder' -evil.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

AudreyHorne wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Hutch has an interesting relationship with his wife Chantal. He's plenty happy to have her make time with Bad Coop. A polyamorous threesome, or he's simply a voyeur?
My initial take is that it shows Hutch's total devotion to DoppelCoop. Maybe his way of proving his loyalty?
Did they say/show they are husband and wife or could they also be brother and sister or cousins?
The first time we meet Chantal, Bad Coop refers to her husband Hutch. So it's a freaky set up.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The first time we meet Chantal, Bad Coop refers to her husband Hutch. So it's a freaky set up.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought they were husband and wife but I didn't remember if it was stated in the series or if I (and others) had just made the assumption because they have the same last name.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Could Albert have been doing a second autopsy or further examination of Briggsy? Isn't that kind of his area of expertise? Plus he doesn't usually trust the local people to do the job properly.

Did Cole & Co. also get to examine Ruth Davenport's head? If's Brigg's head is in the alternate dimension then would Ruth's body be there as well?
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
The first time we meet Chantal, Bad Coop refers to her husband Hutch. So it's a freaky set up.
Yeah, freaky for South Dakota but if they lived in Cali or New York, maybe not such a big deal :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

mtwentz wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote:
Yeah, freaky for South Dakota but if they lived in Cali or New York, maybe not such a big deal :-).
Exactly.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Jerry Horne wrote:What's up with Cole's pants?
he's getting his B-Boy on.. hip-hop Cole
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'd die for some Gordon Cole rap.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Esselgee wrote:I'll throw it out there...Johnny was running from Josie in that scene. Maybe he has the ability to see her unlike others. Though it didn't look like they were inside the GN. The Horne family did live in the hotel, right?
I bet the Horne's are divorced and possibly living in different towns, that's why he doesn't know about Johnny yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, i agree with this.. but at the same time, isn't the reason he "can't" be with his new secretary (sorry can't remember his name) because he is married?? or is it becausse she is married that his morals won't let him.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

wxray wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
wxray wrote:BTW, captions actually helped since it started off with "Sylvia:". We braced ourselves for a Johnny sighting and were able to absorb the scene better.
Except that someone said Sylvia's first line was captioned as "Mary"? Pretty sure it was supposed to be "Jerry."
It is captioned Mary and sound like Mary to me. Mary would presumably be the caretaker. Uncle Jerry is lost in the woods right now.

I'm sure Sabrina Sutherland would chime in should it be an egregious captioning mistake as she has before. Her twitter feed is clean so far.
I was sure she said Harry at first- but listening again, I do believe she actually says Mary as the captions say.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Nighthawk wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote: Very well stated. Even Ben has a tenuous connection to the main plot with receiving Cooper's key.
I like the chemistry between Ben and Beverly though. At least there is something to build on there. They only had a couple of short scenes, but there was so much that happened between them investigating the eerie sound, and the palpable sexual tension that somehow was apparent from the very first second.
I loved both the Ben/Beverly scenes. They were very effective. Beymer is still fantastic as Ben. And it seems Ben has at least tried to continue on his post-breakdown path. And his chemistry with Judd is great.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Lots of interesting things we learned/saw this part (not episode!):

Briggs somehow knew how to "hibernate" in time. This explains why he didn't age. Apparently Cooper didn't know how to hibernate in the Black Lodge.

Briggs wasn't murdered; his head disappeared.

There was a flash when Johnny hit the wall. I wonder if this had something to do with Laura's spirit?

Bad Coop doesn't seem to have lost BOB; he's acting just as he always has.

Bad Coop has ordered three hits. Who are the two in Las Vegas? Ike and Good Coop? I suspect Ike will be hit since he was so easily picked up by the cops.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Soolsma wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Not a fan of Matthew Lillard's acting in this episode. The crying was too forced, I thought he was faking at first.
I was also a bit bothered by that at first. But I don't think his acting skills were lacking there (I'd be surprised if they were. For me his acting had been the most impressive this season), rather that Lynch pushed him to exaggerate. Eventually, it created this awkward mix of vicarious shame and downright eeriness. It also served nicely as a build up for Albert's punchline. All in all, I was very content with the scene, and now regard that flaw as a well put one.

"There were so many people there'' did creep the shit out of me. It seems like something way, way more evil than say Laura or Maddy's murder was going on there. I'm thinking 'FWWM convenience store scene meets ritualistic murder' -evil.
Oh for sure, that was definitely Lynch pushing him, but I'm not always a fan of Lynch's acting choices.
Lucy and Andy are another good example of that.