Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Esselgee »

Probably a stupid question but how did the glowing gold ball that came from the Giant's head have the picture of Laura Palmer's homecoming queen photo in it back in 1945?
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

madeleineferguson wrote:Lynch just changed television, again. Amazing.
Well, television needs to change before you can say anyone changed television.
I can't quite yet imagine any executive handing money to an aspiring tv drama creator to make a thing like that new hot show Twin Peaks The Return.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

yaxomoxay wrote:Another question. Did the Giant actually create Laura (her soul), or he simply sent her ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sure looked to me like ??????? created Laura from himself, or otherwise gave forth an element of himself which is the abstract essence of Laura.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Esselgee wrote:Probably a stupid question but how did the glowing gold ball that came from the Giant's head have the picture of Laura Palmer's homecoming queen photo in it back in 1945?
that was what seemed weird this episode to you?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Esselgee wrote:Probably a stupid question but how did the glowing gold ball that came from the Giant's head have the picture of Laura Palmer's homecoming queen photo in it back in 1945?
Is it past, or is it future?
I have the feeling that the lady sees the pain and sorrow in Laura's future right before sending her on earth. Her face betrays sadness, so it is possible that the picture is symbolic of Laura's future and soul.

Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

jhoward wrote:So the crawling insect/frog thing... could that be the thing on Mr. C's playing card?
I got the impression that the Mother of BOB might have had little things sticking out of her head... looked pretty similar to the playing card outline IMO.
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

jhoward wrote:So the crawling insect/frog thing... could that be the thing on Mr. C's playing card?
I always assumed the image on the playing card was a black dog ("The black dog runs at night...")
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

And it was on this night that it was unleashed and would always be known as...

psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Extra point about the Giant: he's clearly a caretaker, but what if he's a symbol of God? What made me think that is how he clearly sent Laura to earth. Really makes you think. It parallels the whole explanation for UFOs and aliens thing which were a result of the explosion.
had the same thought
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Because it's not 1945 there. They are in a timeless space/place.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Was Ray on the phone with Philip Jefrries? I had trouble understanding what he was saying but he definitely phoned a Philip. :)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
I want the whole experience. 18 hours in a movie theater. (To save time we can cut the bands such as the outrageously long NIN song)

chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Nobody will give the Abe Lincoln impersonator a light just like no one will get Dougie any help.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Is it past, or is it future?
I have the feeling that the lady sees the pain and sorrow in Laura's future right before sending her on earth. Her face betrays sadness, so it is possible that the picture is symbolic of Laura's future and soul.
It's a happy-looking picture. I think that perhaps you think it betrays sadness because of the context in which we've seen it placed.

As for why, I'd say that it's because that picture has consistently been used as sort of a totem to represent Laura Palmer. It's been used as a kind of mystical anchor that kept us connected to the core essence of Twin Peaks, which is Laura Palmer. So for it to represent the essence of her soul as its sent to earth made perfect sense to me.