Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Isis Unveiled »

Somehow I doubt that the atom bomb was Frost's way of alluding to climate change.

If you read The Secret History of Twin Peaks, and take into consideration the longstanding conspiracy of the Atom Bomb being the beginning of Alien Visitation, I think Frost is trying to tie in human evolution and the development of technology to the occult.

I think the Atom Bomb may have been a reference to project Paperclip, or Jack Parsons/L Ron Hubbard's Babalon Working.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Jasper wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:What I need is the jazz music that was played on the Gramophone!!! 10 hour loop if possible.
You might like this. It's also got a Kubrick connection, and on top of that grapples with themes of memory loss and identity which are prominent in The Return.

I love that album!
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

ok...just watched it again and it's still jaw-droppingly awesome.

some different thoughts than i had last night...

1. i don't think the woodsmen were trying to save dopplecoop. i think they were simply extracting BOB so he doesn't die inside coop. i don't think they cared whether dopplecoop lived or died - they wanted BOB. and i believe BOB is out of dopplecoop although we only see him half out.

2. the frogbug - i don't think it's BOB or laura. all the other eggs the "mother" threw up were real eggs - BOB was in a orb - just like laura was. i think they are different. i think the frogbugs are evil beings that find a host and perform evil acts in the world. which leads me to...

3. the boy and girl are just random people. i think they were meant to show how innocence was killed with the bomb.

4. the 11 years after the bomb to, what i think, is the woodsmen's first appearance had to do with the first egg cracking. they were in the air/atmosphere but they couldn't act until the first creature came out.

5. what's interesting is that both dougie and laura were in gold shaped items...while BOB Was in a clear one. don't know if that has any significance.

6. why did the giant create laura? was it to fight against evil? was it laura the actual person? or was it laura the spirit that lives in the red waiting room? or was laura sent as a deterrent? if i remember correctly, BOB wanted laura but we never got the full reason why.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

madeleineferguson wrote:Have we ever seen this teddy bear? I just quickly skipped through FWWM and the Pilot to see if that bear is ever in Laura's room... didn't see him so far. He does seem familiar, though.

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.14.25 AM.png
Swear to God, I half expected a tornado to lift the house off its foundation...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I have nothing to add to the discussion about the origin story... Without seeming like an idiot. I'll just let it wash over me and let it resonate.

But I'll focus on the practical, current time story. Has it been discussed or speculated if Mr. C was setup the entire time? Was Ray in on a plan? He had a gun on him, and Mr. C's planted gun was a decoy. But the Warden wouldn't want him killed because he feared his own life would be destroyed. Who was helping Ray on the inside?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Dolmo81

Post by Dolmo81 »

TheGum wrote:In addition to pointing out that moth frog is not Laura- holy crap I had the most horrifying and bizarre dreams, all very obviously tied to this episode. This is some art that really gets under your skin. And I love it/am terrified.
I also had visually bizarre dreams after watching this last night! This episode blew my mind and I loved everything about it- including the NIN song that I can see why some people (my husband included) thought it was filler. I thought the whole time, I wonder who will have crazy dreams from this. My sister, who is 2 years older than me, still has nightmares about BOB which says a lot especially since I was 9 and she was 11 when we watched both watched season 1 with our parents when it originally aired in 1990. I remember not getting a lot of the symbolism until I was a bit older, but I will never forget the imagery and how it stuck with me all these years.
This is the water, this is the well, drink full and descend; the horse is the white of the eyes and dark within
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Without the nuclear testing, there would be no Bob. Without Bob no Laura, without Laura no Cooper. Without Cooper no Twin peaks
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Deep Thought wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Why do you think they picked an Abraham Lincoln impersonator to play the main Woodsman? It has to be intentional, right? I mean, the guy has only played Abe Lincoln in all his credited roles until Twin Peaks. Can't imagine that Johanna Ray randomly discovered him, unless she was specifically looking for someone like him. He was terrifying.
The girl finds a heads-up penny and rubs ol' Abe's image just before the Woodsman appears. My guess is it is a magic penny. :D
Maybe the coin is to the White Lodge what the ring is to the Black Lodge - assuming the frog egg came from the White Lodge. I don't really understand the Abe Lincoln connection, but maybe that will get explained (or not!) later.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I struggled to articulate anything last night except WOW!

After a nights sleep, I'm really ecstatic. I didn't know how they were going to do it, but I knew that they were going to leave me in awe at some point during the series. Part of this is simple trust, and part of this is that they basically told us to except marvels (and I felt it went beyond the normal marketing crap).

This episode did to my brain exactly what the original finale did all those years ago, and it may have supplanted that as my high water mark of TV ever (closely tied with the finale of The Prisoner!). In fact, this may mark the point where I find the old Twin Peaks dated and hard to watch in light of the new one. I've never felt that before, but this new show has just moved the whole thing somewhere else for me.

It also makes the 25 year wait totally worthwhile. The plot of Part 8 could easily have been written as the sequel to FWWM, but had it actually been filmed then, it would have looked completely different. Compare how tame the original convenience store scene now looks compared to what we saw last night! That's not to diminish that scene, it's just that what we were shown last night probably wasn't posdible back then due to the technology and,more importantly, it has taken the next 25 years of Lynch's artistic development. The episode really reminded me of his paintings and short films, but the delicious thing is that that co-existed with an almost deliberately over the top 50s sci fi element. This is still obeying some rules of TV, but no words I can write can do justice to how amazing it is!

I'm generally cynical and I don't like to gush, but I permitted myself this one instance.
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

maybe it's time to go back and view Lynch's 1995 one minute short about murder/mystery and aliens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnYJ6gjZOCc
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

ThumbsUp wrote:Subversive and surprising. Loved it.

Can we talk about the "water and the well" poem? I found it and the guy both unspeakably horrifying. Why did it make people pass out/die? It seemed to be egging the frog-bug on, or buying time, or guiding it into the girl's mouth (also horrifying).
ever see Village Of The Damned, or read the book The Midwich Cuckoos?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Hey, so remember back at episode 7, and some of us were like, "man, how are thy going to tie up all these threads in 11 episodes?".

We was so naive... :)
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Post by AJPRR2GO »

End credits, when the electricity sound starts... that's a distorted voice, right? I've not thought that before when hearing that sound but I sure as heck did in this episode. And it definitely sounds like it is saying something specific. Not just random stuff.
I should let it be known that I was using headphones and had the volume up extremely loud but I know what I heard. I think.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The pacing of this show is so unconventional that I have no clue how much time has passed while watching. This Part flew by. By the time we reached Señora Dido listening to music, I wasn't sure if we were ten or forty minutes in.
I had no idea how much time had passed either. I had anxiety that it might end at any moment, but I'm not in the habit of checking times, because I think it interrupts the viewing flow. Then it occurred to me that maybe this would be some extra-long episode! Yes! Could it be?! So I gave in and checked, and...NO! :lol:

:(

In any case, it did feel almost as if I watched a feature-length film, and at no time did I feel like I was watching a TV show. It was film on tv, as Lynch kept saying.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

AJPRR2GO wrote:End credits, when the electricity sound starts... that's a distorted voice, right? I've not thought that before when hearing that sound but I sure as heck did in this episode. And it definitely sounds like it is saying something specific. Not just random stuff.
I should let it be known that I was using headphones and had the volume up extremely loud but I know what I heard. I think.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
you hear the same thing as the woodsmen approach the car.